FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 3, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #6,361 of 18,020
I have the Hifiman 901s and thought that would be a high water mark, but I feel the X7 bests it.  The 901s is all that it will be, but the X7 is an evolving work in progress that’s worth the investment for what it will eventually become.

Don't have the newer 901s, but I have the original 901 and quite a few amp module. I'll say X7 with the current amp isn't besting the best of 901 yet, but the difference is really splitting hair as it is. With more amp module on the horizon, arguably X7 might even the play field.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #6,362 of 18,020
Don't have the newer 901s, but I have the original 901 and quite a few amp module. I'll say X7 with the current amp isn't besting the best of 901 yet, but the difference is really splitting hair as it is. With more amp module on the horizon, arguably X7 might even the play field.

I loathe the bulkiness of the 901s, while the X7's dimensions offering a more pleasing aesthetic for this user.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #6,363 of 18,020
Got in the AK240 today. Very Early impressions tell me the X7 tour unit competes very well with the AK240 and I prefer the X7 in certain sonic traits. Grain of salt, early impressions, YMMV, and all that.....

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #6,364 of 18,020
Got in the AK240 today. Very Early impressions tell me the X7 tour unit competes very well with the AK240 and I prefer the X7 in certain sonic traits. Grain of salt, early impressions, YMMV, and all that.....

Very interesting, you're the second person I've heard say this.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #6,365 of 18,020
@JamesFiiO , @Joebloggs

Was going to pre-order X7 at my local dealer at €699 when remembering you brought up a possible discount for 'X5 flagship' owners.

1)could you please update on discount/cash-back for existing (X5) customers ?

2) I definitely want the balanced amp module, would it be possible to pay a little extra for that now on pre-order and have it delivered with the balanced amp module instead of the default one?

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #6,366 of 18,020
@JamesFiiO , @Joebloggs

Was going to pre-order X7 at my local dealer at €699 when remembering you brought up a possible discount for 'X5 flagship' owners.

2) I definitely want the balanced amp module, would it be possible to pay a little extra for that now on pre-order and have it delivered with the balanced amp module instead of the default one?
+1 & +1. :D

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #6,367 of 18,020
I know your post was for Joe and James. I received an e mail from fiio support today regarding the discount for loyalty program. Basically it said that arrangements had been made for Chinese customers but nothing as yet for outside territories. I was directed to pre-order at authorised sellers, in my case the UK for an end of November release. I had also asked for confirmation of qobuz support (something I keep banging on about) but the message gave no reply on that subject. I have pre-ordered an X7 but if no qobuz support then I will cancel this to allow someone else one of the first batch. Equally if I qualify for the discount (I have a Fiio coin total of 612 from registering products owned across my family) then of course I would like to take advantage of that for the saving.

It would be much appreciated if James or Joe could clarify these points.

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #6,368 of 18,020
I know your post was for Joe and James. I received an e mail from fiio support today regarding the discount for loyalty program. Basically it said that arrangements had been made for Chinese customers but nothing as yet for outside territories. I was directed to pre-order at authorised sellers, in my case the UK for an end of November release. I had also asked for confirmation of qobuz support (something I keep banging on about) but the message gave no reply on that subject. I have pre-ordered an X7 but if no qobuz support then I will cancel this to allow someone else one of the first batch. Equally if I qualify for the discount (I have a Fiio coin total of 612 from registering products owned across my family) then of course I would like to take advantage of that for the saving.

It would be much appreciated if James or Joe could clarify these points.

Thanks for sharing.

The discount & balanced amp option are the only reasons fir me to keep hovering over the "pre-order now" button.

Unfortunately I forgot to register my X5 unit on arrival, did so several weeks ago but I guess that'll rule out any 'first buyer' discount deals for me even though I still have the original invoice

:frowning2:

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #6,370 of 18,020
@JamesFiiO , @Joebloggs

1, sorry we can't , it is too complex to arrange such marketing action to our global customers. for warranty and sales issues.

2, Sorry, the balanced amp  module are being developed right now. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #6,372 of 18,020
1, sorry we can't , it is too complex to arrange such marketing action to our global customers. for warranty and sales issues.

2, Sorry, the balanced amp  module are being developed right now. 

@James, thanks for the quick reply. I understand what you're saying.

Here's my dilemma:

- buy now at pre-order price: be an early adopter, get the X7 with default module and buy the balanced one later on at $$$

- buy later: Maybe not at pre-order price (IF maintained) but wait a few weeks/months for it but done right, X7 including/bundled with balanced amp. No default amp module sitting in the drawer. Risk: Meantime new DAP introductions will get my intentions.....

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #6,373 of 18,020
Photos of my ongoing DAP shootout. The contenders:

- Astell & Kern AK100 Mk2
- CEntrance GloveAudio A1 (with Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk1)
- Fiio X5 (with and without Cayin C5)
- iBasso DX50 (with JDS Labs C5D)
- Contender: Fiio X7 with latest (24.10.2015) beta Firmware

Headphones used: 
Westone W60
RHA T20
Oppo PM-3/PM-2

Using Fiio transparent headphone output switcher with volume matched DAPs

Preliminary results after just playing around with the AK100, GloveAudioA1 and X7...

Just listened to a few songs of Röyksopps - The Inevitable End with the RHA T20:
- AK100 Mk2 sounds the "weakest", least full bodied in the mix (but still a good sound overall)
- Gloveaudio A1 is impactful, best soundstage and impactful bass (probably the most balanced so far)
- Fiio X7 on par with A1 in regards to detail, slightly smaller soundstage but a tad more bass impact, very enjoyable

Disclaimer: the differences are small - scary how close these DAPs are when you use an input switcher. And the A1/AK100 is a hell of a device.

I started all three DAPs on the same song at the same time. The headphone is connected to the input switcher (no idea why it's called output switcher) and I switch back and forth between the DAPs in real time without any break. I didn't know which cable was connected to which DAP and listened with closed eyes. 

As always: input switchers are eye openers (pun intended). You think there are massive differences and then they become way smaller if you can switch between them.

Anyhow, will continue the next few days and let you know. The X7 in its beta form is a hell of a contender for sure. Might even take the crown, let's see.

Cheers,
K

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #6,374 of 18,020
Koolpep, you may have missed the latest firmware release over at the tour thread. It's a big change, allows installation of pretty much any user app as long as you can find an apk for it. As before, we encourage users to stick to well behaved music apps, we're not responsible if your X7 catches fire when you try to install google play or root it, etc... :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #6,375 of 18,020
Photos of my ongoing DAP shootout. The contenders:

Thanks for the nice photos!
& props for testing out with Röyksopp.
I Had This Thing & Running to the Sea are awesome tracks..

[Mod Edit: Please don't quote very long posts but only the relevant part.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back