Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Apr 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #31 of 446
Have you tried a factory reset on your DX90? It might solve the scan card problem.

As for missing the last two seconds of songs, have you turned gapless mode ON? And does it still occur even after gapless is ON?

About the battery life, it's true that the X5 last at least 3-4 hours longer, but the upside is that the DX90 will be more environmental friendly in the long run since the battery is user replaceable. This also means that with several fully pre-charged spare batteries, you can just swap the currently flat battery in the DX90 with a new fully charged one and you're ready to continue enjoying your music without having to put it aside for charging.

Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

Tried a reset via settings menu yesterday, no difference with screen appearing. All songs are seen ok.

The two second at end missing shows on counter and has been a problem for many since DX50 apparently and still continues. Yes, gapless on.

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #33 of 446
Have you tried a factory reset on your DX90? It might solve the scan card problem.

As for missing the last two seconds of songs, have you turned gapless mode ON? And does it still occur even after gapless is ON?

About the battery life, it's true that the X5 last at least 3-4 hours longer, but the upside is that the DX90 will be more environmental friendly in the long run since the battery is user replaceable. This also means that with several fully pre-charged spare batteries, you can just swap the currently flat battery in the DX90 with a new fully charged one and you're ready to continue enjoying your music without having to put it aside for charging.

Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the DX 50 launch all over...

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #34 of 446
Tried a reset via settings menu yesterday, no difference with screen appearing. All songs are seen ok.

The two second at end missing shows on counter and has been a problem for many since DX50 apparently and still continues. Yes, gapless on.

Oh, do you mean that the audio sounds fine and gapless works seamlessly but it's just that the counter on the screen shows a two second skip?

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #35 of 446
Oh, do you mean that the audio sounds fine and gapless works seamlessly but it's just that the counter on the screen shows a two second skip?

Two different minor quibbles. Two seconds missing is only noticeable on songs without a lead out but can always be detected by looking at counter.

Scan screen always comes up at switch-on, but songs always available via tags from initial DB scan.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #36 of 446

I'm very interested in this comparison as well.  There are a couple posts on the X5 thread that say the iMod is as good as - if not better - than the X5.

I upgraded from a gen 5 imod. Is the improvement huge? I don't think so, but it is noticeable.

Main thing for me I can use the headphone out of X5 whereas ipod headphone out is just horrible so on that front is a huge big tick for me. Now comparison with an external amp imod + Meier Corda Quickstep will match X5 headphone out sound quality but they do thing differently. Imod combo has a more luscious mids with a decent sound stage and lots of details. X5 has less warmth same level details but has wider sound stage and tighter bass.

Now the last part X5+Corda Quickstep vs imod + corda quickstep. It's no contest X5 combo is better in every way. more details, even wider soundstage, tighter bass an a much more smoother but detailed highs. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #37 of 446
Thanks for the comparison-

I really wonder if DAP + Amp can really be replaced with just DAP. I did see that the X5 was more of a sidegrade to the diymod + amp comboes.

I was wondering if the DX90 was more of the same as well. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 446
Out of curiosity, what would be the cost comparison for this more convenient "side grade?" I believe I paid a similar amount for my iPod Classic and my x5. Then you add cost and time for mod parts. Then how much are you adding for the amp. I guess you have to buy a nice interconnect also. My guess is that the x5 ends up being a bargain even if it was only a "side grade".

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #39 of 446
Yes it's just a sidegrade but the convenience factor is worth it for me.  Also yes an imod with a good amp might cost more than an X5 so it's an excellent value for money

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #41 of 446
Out of curiosity, what would be the cost comparison for this more convenient "side grade?" I believe I paid a similar amount for my iPod Classic and my x5. Then you add cost and time for mod parts. Then how much are you adding for the amp. I guess you have to buy a nice interconnect also. My guess is that the x5 ends up being a bargain even if it was only a "side grade".

used JDS Labs C5= $110
used ipod + diymodding from a fellow member = $150
Silver Interconnect = $30

$290 total vs $350+ for the X5?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely would like to "side-grade" into a single DAP like the X5 or the DX90. Consolidating into one player instead of a stack has been the goal. I'm just trying to determine if the cost difference is worth the jump.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #42 of 446
Since you are comparing used ipod and amp with a new X5. I reckon wait a month or two when most likely there would be a used X5 for sale for around that price. then the cost wouldn't be an issue

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #44 of 446
for me x5 still have slight noise floor but heaps better than x3. x3 is far from acceptable for me with sensitive iem. portable amp would help a  lot with sensitive iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back