Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #272 of 446
I see what you are saying. Having an outboard DAC is one thing, but if one wants portability (and that is what these DAPs are all about) the X5 and DX90 will sound much better with a good iem/headphone. In addition, I have the added option of adding 24/96 music at some point, and memory capacity should not be an issue.

This thread is very interesting and informative. If I were to get either the X5 or DX90, the things I would be looking for is the DAP that produces a fairly flat response, does not have fatiguing highs, and produces vocals and acoustic instruments that are spacious and lively.  From what I read, the general consensus is that the X5 presents music that is more intimate, like that played in a small club, while the DX90 presents a bigger soundstage, similar to that played a big concert hall. I also see that the DX90 produces more detailed highs (some say more forward) but at the same time non-fatiguing. Fatigue is one of my main concerns. Some have also said that the DX90 artificially boosts the bass and maybe the treble, but I know opinions vary. Finally, some people find the sound from the X5 to be not as lively.

I find both Daps neutral. When people describe one as dull or tiring my belief is that their iem and hearing preference are coming into play. Get a neutral dap then tailor things with your choice of iem/phone. Why consider a source that adds or subtracts anything?

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #273 of 446
  I see what you are saying. Having an outboard DAC is one thing, but if one wants portability (and that is what these DAPs are all about) the X5 and DX90 will sound much better with a good iem/headphone. In addition, I have the added option of adding 24/96 music at some point, and memory capacity should not be an issue.

This thread is very interesting and informative. If I were to get either the X5 or DX90, the things I would be looking for is the DAP that produces a fairly flat response, does not have fatiguing highs, and produces vocals and acoustic instruments that are spacious and lively.  From what I read, the general consensus is that the X5 presents music that is more intimate, like that played in a small club, while the DX90 presents a bigger soundstage, similar to that played a big concert hall. I also see that the DX90 produces more detailed highs (some say more forward) but at the same time non-fatiguing. Fatigue is one of my main concerns. Some have also said that the DX90 artificially boosts the bass and maybe the treble, but I know opinions vary. Finally, some people find the sound from the X5 to be not as lively.

You won't necessarily have to use 'HD music'. I upgraded from my iPod 6 gen to the DX90 a few months ago. I was using V0 and 320 mp3 on the iPod and am still using the same files on the DX90, I have checked multiple times and did not notice any major differences between flac and mp3. Mind you, I sat down and really focused on noticing any sort of difference (with no success) that I stopped, afraid of becoming more obsessed with being an audiophile than just enjoying the music. I even tried a 24/192 file and could not hear any difference... and there is a whole lot of dirt and skepticism that there is just no benefit to higher resolution for playing back music. The signature of the DX90 along with the powerful amp are whats making most of the difference IMO and as long as your files are ripped properly from good sources, they'll sound excellent. I use Unique Melody Merlins straight out of the HO of the DX90 btw. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #275 of 446
can somebody compare battery life of these two players with current firmwares?

Not measured but I would guess about an hour or two more from my X5. But then DX90 has interchangable batteries.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #276 of 446
I have the X5 and I am getting the DX90 in a few days. Hoping to answer this question once and for all for myself.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #277 of 446

x5 benefits from an external amp, whereas the Dx90 is more accomplished as a standalone device.

Absolutely disagree.  Can you use an external amp?  Yes.  Do you need an external amp?  Not in my experience.  The sound is excellent without one.  Unlike my DX50, which practically required an amp to sound decent.  

Some people like the extra power of an amp, but the X5 sounds wonderful as is.  I use Fidue A83s with it, and the sound is superb.  In fact, many posters report that the X5 can power most headphones, let alone iems.

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #278 of 446
  Absolutely disagree.  Can you use an external amp?  Yes.  Do you need an external amp?  Not in my experience.  The sound is excellent without one.  Unlike my DX50, which practically required an amp to sound decent.  

Some people like the extra power of an amp, but the X5 sounds wonderful as is.  I use Fidue A83s with it, and the sound is superb.  In fact, many posters report that the X5 can power most headphones, let alone iems.

My experience is very different.

When I first got the X5 I tried it without an AMP (it sounded great).

Unfortunately, after connecting my E12A I can never go back.
It's not only the added power, everything sounds 50 times better. Pure heaven.
L3000.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #280 of 446
I find this whole thread frustrating. Choices are devil in disguise. I wish one was just alot better than the other. Owning the se846 there is no clear consensus as
to which sounds better. I dont  think there is anywhere in NYC where you can walk in and listen to both DAPs to chose. I know B&H does not have it set it up.
So i cannot buy either. I need someone to organise another NY mini-meet
atsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #281 of 446
Well... having read comparison threads for a while... lurking in the X3, X5, DX50, DX90 threads, I just pulled the trigger on the DX90 having never heard it.

I've heard the A&K line and they sound great, but after reading about the DX90, there were just too many things it has, that seem to fit in to my needs and tastes.

But that, of course are just the words, descriptions, rants, bugs, issues, praise, etc.

I'll find out Wednesday whether or not I like it superficially. It will be this weekend or the one following... or maybe sometime after the first of the new year when I'll know if it's met my expectations.

Cheers!

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #282 of 446
I hear you, and to be honest, I don't see how this approach WOULDN'T be frustrating to someone who doesn't have the equipment. For one thing, the question just isn't fair. Does the X5 need an amp? Well, doesn't that depend on the headphones you are hooking up to it? I have a DX90 rather than an X5, but I can tell you that if I had been asked this question by someone while I was trying to listen to it through my Sennheiser HD-650s, then my answer would have been YES without hesitation. On the other hand, if the same question were asked of me while I was listening through my; UE Super.Fi 3, VMODA BASS FREQs, Apple Earbuds/Pods, Koss Porta Pros, Gradp SR.-225e, Photive PH-BTX6, or even our Sennheiser RS-180 headphones, my answer would have been clearly, NO. Then add to it what environment you will be listening in, (A noisy train, plane,bus, conference, school yard/campus, subway, etc...), the properties of the headphones you are using. (The HD-650s scale-up tremendously as the amplification gets better! But none of our other headphones sound better when we do the same for them.), and then finally, how sensitive each individual's hearing is. (I never turn the dial past 11'o clock on my iDSD Micro, but my wife will turn the same music track up to 12 or 1 o'clock when she really likes a song....)

Too many factors for one "catch-all" response to cover.

If you were to ask: "Does anyone who has xxxx headphone feel they need to have amplification on their X5 when listening to xxxx GENRE in an xxxx type of location/environment?" I think you might finally start to get somewhere, as you're reducing many of the variables greatly, and the major one of "personal preference"/hearing sensitivity becomes the only one you truly have to take into consideration. Even if no one has your exact type of headphone, SOME people will have a headphone that is at least regarded as similar in terms of what it takes to drive them, and how they respond to things like amplification.

Just my 2 cents

Ken N.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #284 of 446
  So I got the iBasso dx90 and compared audio with the X5. The winner = X5 IMHO. Not even close DX90! Back to Amazon satan!
biggrin.gif
Also, I have to wait half a day for it to scan my songs?
confused_face_2.gif

In the end whether you choose the DX90 or X5 it boils down to your personal preferences 
wink.gif
. May I know what got you to choose the X5 over the DX90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back