Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Dec 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #286 of 446
  In the end whether you choose the DX90 or X5 it boils down to your personal preferences 
wink.gif
. May I know what got you to choose the X5 over the DX90?

It's all about the bass! (just kidding)
biggrin.gif

Yes, you are right it's about personal preferences.

I used Westone 3s and the same exact song files in both units. Then Pause, Play,  un-plug one, re-plug the other. using EQ, using no EQ. with gain, with no gain. checking general usage characteristics , UI elements. ETC.

X5 Won mostly on sound quality.

I found the DX90 to be a little hollow sounding sometimes. (Just a little) The mids, lows and highs didn't hit me the right way.

I could "feel" the song more with X5, but not so much with the iBasso (Same songs).

Also, I learned the hard way that the DX90 port on top is NOT for headphones.
basshead.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #287 of 446
So which would sound best for R&B (female vocals), rap and jazz?

I prefer a live, concert sound with details. Will more than likely pair it with Yamaha 100 earphones and Klipsch status.

For gym and airplane use... a few have mentioned that the wheel is very sensitive and will skip, stop or rewind songs if X5 is in your pocket. Anyone experience this issue?

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #288 of 446
So which would sound best for R&B (female vocals), rap and jazz?

I prefer a live, concert sound with details. Will more than likely pair it with Yamaha 100 earphones and Klipsch status.

For gym and airplane use... a few have mentioned that the wheel is very sensitive and will skip, stop or rewind songs if X5 is in your pocket. Anyone experience this issue?

Im using X5 with um pro50.

So for gym you should use ipod nano, for araplane you should use Bose quitecomfort headphones with ipodnano since engine noise can only be avoided by active noise cancellation which is not compatible with hi-fi sound..

At home you should use fullsize headphones with hi-fi setup. For any other application i would recommend Fiio x5.

I didnt find a lot difference of my previous Cowon d2 with dx90 with crappy Sennheiser IE8. But i did with Fiio x5.

But ultimately you will be happy with any of dx90 and x5

Ps. I have fiio x5, um pro50, sennheiser hd650, denon 7100, matrix x-sabre dac, matrix quattro amp, exposure 3010s2 integrated amp, Kef r300 speakers,. And according to reviews and feedbacks in internet thats all is a crappy ****. So go to gi-fi store or just order what you like more on a physical level.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #289 of 446
Im using X5 with um pro50.

So for gym you should use ipod nano, for araplane you should use Bose quitecomfort headphones with ipodnano since engine noise can only be avoided by active noise cancellation which is not compatible with hi-fi sound..

At home you should use fullsize headphones with hi-fi setup. For any other application i would recommend Fiio x5.

I didnt find a lot difference of my previous Cowon d2 with dx90 with crappy Sennheiser IE8. But i did with Fiio x5.

But ultimately you will be happy with any of dx90 and x5

Ps. I have fiio x5, um pro50, sennheiser hd650, denon 7100, matrix x-sabre dac, matrix quattro amp, exposure 3010s2 integrated amp, Kef r300 speakers,. And according to reviews and feedbacks in internet thats all is a crappy ****. So go to gi-fi store or just order what you like more on a physical level.

active noise cancellation still not enough to stop the engine noise in a plane and will make music sound wonky most of the time. You need a good noise isolating iem (universal or custom).

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #290 of 446
I'm sure this has been asked and answered. So my apologies.

Playlists

I have the DX90 and the playlist abilities are not good (understatement).

Does the X5 support playlists and if so are they easy to work with? Easy to import from computer programs like JRiver?

Thanks

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #291 of 446
I'm sure this has been asked and answered. So my apologies.

Playlists

I have the DX90 and the playlist abilities are not good (understatement).

Does the X5 support playlists and if so are they easy to work with? Easy to import from computer programs like JRiver?

Thanks

You should post this in the X5 thread. You'd get a higher chance of a response. Sorry, I don't use playlists but there are many that do over there.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #292 of 446
I just compared DX90 and X5's maximum power output using an SPL meter app. Looks like both have equal amount of maximum power output (High gain/maximum volume). DX90 is only 1 dB louder than X5.

FW-wise, Fiio is better hands down compared to iBasso. Oh and gapless playback is flawless in Fiio X5.

UI may boil down to personal preferences. But build quality I think X5 is better.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #295 of 446
Trying to decide between the two. I have read through the thread and with all the new firmware updates, is there a new/current consensus on sound differences in particular?

X5 slightly more immediate and up-front, DX90 more Open. but I switch back and forth between the two and would be happy with either. Just buy one and enjoy!

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #296 of 446
Trying to decide between the two. I have read through the thread and with all the new firmware updates, is there a new/current consensus on sound differences in particular?

The dx90 with 2.1.5 L2 Firmware(Lurker's) sounds excellent. My only annoyance with the dx90 is that the USB/DAC driver are still not stable, causing delay when you use it as a DAC. If you don't plan on using it as a dac, I highly recommend dx90.

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #297 of 446

what kind of sound do you like ?

after hours and hours of reading threads and opinions here, i went for the DX90 , as the only supposed minus was its battery (but it is replaceable , so i don't consider this a minus at all) and it has a sound closer to my taste (open and neutral) and i am 101% happy/satisfied.

if you like a more 'close to you' sound / warmer , the X5 is the one to get

one thing that really tipped the scale for me were the amazon com reviews , where many more people seemed happy with the dx90 compared to the X5

dx90
33/39 5* reviews (85%
basshead.gif
)
05/39 4* reviews

38/39 (4+5)* reviews (97.5%
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
)

X5  
26/51 5* reviews ( 51%)
12/51 4* reviews
13/51 1-3* reviews (25%)

in the end ,your money your ears your opinion
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #299 of 446
Guys, please also consider the 2 microsd slots of the X5. I was thinking it will be an overkill before when I'm still using 320 mp3's but now that I've switched to flacs I'm already thinking of buying another one just in case.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #300 of 446
  Guys, please also consider the 2 microsd slots of the X5. I was thinking it will be an overkill before when I'm still using 320 mp3's but now that I've switched to flacs I'm already thinking of buying another one just in case.

It's convenient but hardly a deal breaker. X5 has other things more worthy to consider over DX90 like FW than an extra SD slot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back