FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Jan 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #557 of 1,895
FiiO X5 Extensive Unboxing Video is up guys. Enjoy (Video was just uploaded so 1080p will be availble soon)

This is just an unboxing, not a review. 

Rest of the X5 videos were just reposted videos from FiiO that I'm sure you guys already saw:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVIrRPoDClo7BGnA99CTJ9eq0v8cfY8L

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #559 of 1,895
  very nice, thanks for the UN-boxing, any opinions yet ?

Jiggly Scroll wheel, and lack of fine-control. 

The surface of the wheel disk has a bit of back and forth freeplay. It also has some clicks that are either mis-represented or are not counted. FiiO says this is a firmware fix that will be comming soon to fix some of the scroll wheel inaccuracies. As long as they can get those fixed, I don't mind the slight teeter tater the wheel has.

As for sound, none yet. I'm currently using a new IEM to listen to the X5. I only got the IEM yesterday, so its safe to not give out any opinions yet 
rolleyes.gif

The UI is much improved but I did run into a problem. The X5's media update freezes at item number 15xx (forgot last two numbers) every time. I can't use categories yet, but I don't mind as I already organized the folder structure on the card itself

If you watch the unboxing. You will note that its kinda hard to open the slots on the bottom to access the mSD cards. It is REALLY hard, and I have small hands. I can't imagine any person being able to open the mSD slots with their bare hands without using a tool for leverage. I've opened and closed that flap about 4 times now, and not once could I get it open within 20 seconds by mself if at all.

The button scheme of the X is a bit weird. This will be very weird for X3 users to X5. Otherwise, most will probably adapt to it. This is because the 'back' button(and menu) on the X3 was the upper left. The upper left on the X5 is now a media/menu button. While the upper right is a 'back' button. Past that, its just slight first time using it syndromes of not pressing the right buttons. But just like with any and all devices, I'm sure I'll adapt. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #560 of 1,895
Hi chaps, is there anyone who's got a Mac (Mavericks to be precise) that's got DAC mode working? I've read some others have had DAC mode working with drivers therefore presumably those are Windows users. But Mac users who have the X5 who can test please? The X5 I have in Japan doesn't seem to recognise DAC mode on my iMac.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #561 of 1,895
  Hi chaps, is there anyone who's got a Mac (Mavericks to be precise) that's got DAC mode working? I've read some others have had DAC mode working with drivers therefore presumably those are Windows users. But Mac users who have the X5 who can test please? The X5 I have in Japan doesn't seem to recognise DAC mode on my iMac.

I have it confirmed working. OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks running FiiO X5 as a DAC. Audio confirmed being output. 

Are all your settings correct? Press 'option' and then click on volume icon in taskbar to open advanced menu as you see in the screenshot.

Keep in mind, I only quickly plugged it in with USB DAC settings, set the X5 to output device on my Mac, played a youtube video and made sure audio came out of the headphone plugged into X5. Made sure the X5's screen showed it was in DAC mode, and took the pics. 

I didn't stick around and play music through them and test if there was any bugs in the playback. But so far, everything sounded clean.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #562 of 1,895

I have it confirmed working. OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks running FiiO X5 as a DAC. Audio confirmed being output. 

Are all your settings correct? Press 'option' and then click on volume icon in taskbar to open advanced menu as you see in the screenshot.

Keep in mind, I only quickly plugged it in with USB DAC settings, set the X5 to output device on my Mac, played a youtube video and made sure audio came out of the headphone plugged into X5. Made sure the X5's screen showed it was in DAC mode, and took the pics. 

I didn't stick around and play music through them and test if there was any bugs in the playback. But so far, everything sounded clean.

Cheers. Hmmm...gotta play around with it more. Currently "mine's" on X5FW1.00. Trying to connect to the fiio.net to see if there's a later firmware but still getting the spinning wheel to connect to the site. I'll play around a little more on the X5 to see why. Note I'm not using the USB cable from Fiio but a generic USB Type A -> microUSB (which works fine with other DACs). I may switch cables just to rule that out.

The X5 is charging happily though (in both DAC and Storage modes).

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #563 of 1,895

Cheers. Hmmm...gotta play around with it more. Currently "mine's" on X5FW1.00. Trying to connect to the fiio.net to see if there's a later firmware but still getting the spinning wheel to connect to the site. I'll play around a little more on the X5 to see why. Note I'm not using the USB cable from Fiio but a generic USB Type A -> microUSB (which works fine with other DACs). I may switch cables just to rule that out.

The X5 is charging happily though (in both DAC and Storage modes).

I've noted in the past that it may be due to the cable.

Other users have noted to me that some cables, can charge the device, but can't handle any 'real' data it seems? 

Try the default cable the X5 came with. I'm running stock firmware. The cable I'm using isn't the X5's, but it is another cable FiiO provided for another of their devices. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #565 of 1,895
Mavericks just seems to be a mess with the audio setup. MrSpeakers had problems with Mavericks too.

I read about that recently in the AD thread (Edit: my bad, it was the WA7 thread that I read about DAC issues, not AD). My X5 USB DAC issue fixed. I have 3 microUSB cables (all of them are supposed to be USB DAC capable cables which I've tested on other DACs). Seem the X5 is a little more selective than other DACs I've got as one of the 3 works. I'd be interested to see if it's some wiring differences in the cable or some other issue. Anyway, X5 functioning as a USB DAC now. Will start my burn-in now whilst I'm dumping/FAT32 reformatting/reloading my tracks on my MicroSDs.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #566 of 1,895
I read about that recently in the AD thread. My X5 USB DAC issue fixed. I have 3 microUSB cables (all of them are supposed to be USB DAC capable cables which I've tested on other DACs). Seem the X5 is a little more selective than other DACs I've got as one of the 3 works. I'd be interested to see if it's some wiring differences in the cable or some other issue. Anyway, X5 functioning as a USB DAC now. Will start my burn-in now whilst I'm dumping/FAT32 reformatting/reloading my tracks on my MicroSDs.

I had no problems connecting the X5 to my Mac. I used their cable and did not try my other spare ones. I'll try my other cables later to see if it makes any difference and will report. I am very curious to hear what you think compared to the different sources you have. Have you checked to see if your card with at least one song worked? I had formatting issues when I used my cards with music on it already, I had to reformat it. When I used their internal format function, it always worked. Anyhow have fun!

By the way version 1.00 is the latest so no new firmware available yet. :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #568 of 1,895
I had no problems connecting the X5 to my Mac. I used their cable and did not try my other spare ones. I'll try my other cables later to see if it makes any difference and will report. I am very curious to hear what you think compared to the different sources you have. Have you checked to see if your card with at least one song worked? I had formatting issues when I used my cards with music on it already, I had to reformat it. When I used their internal format function, it always worked. Anyhow have fun!

Lol, I've somehow managed to get the X5 to hang already in playing around with USB DAC mode. I don't think it was just as simple as mucking around with the cables but I was attempting DoP too (which Audirvana Plus recognises but nothing came out when I tried playing a DSD64 track). But at least Audirvana recognized it as DSD capable :-

Now to just determine why it keeps connecting/disconnecting in USB-DAC mode. I'll play around with that later when I get more time. I'm also having to dumping & reformatting my MicroSDs to FAT32 & reloading my tracks.

Actually, this has led me to a few thoughts to the differences of this X5 with the one I tested at the e-earphone show :-

- that X5 prototype seemed to have recognised exFAT? I don't think I put in a FAT32 microSD card in there?
- so far I think I kinda prefer the metallic grated scroll wheel in the prototype X5 than the current smooth rubbery in production cos with the metallic grated scroll wheel, I felt I had better control in navigation. With the current prod X5, it's more loose than my personal preference.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #569 of 1,895
Lol, I've somehow managed to get the X5 to hang already in playing around with USB DAC mode.

Actually, this has led me to a few thoughts to the differences of this X5 with the one I tested at the e-earphone show :-

- that X5 prototype seemed to have recognised exFAT? I don't think I put in a FAT32 microSD card in there?
- so far I think I kinda prefer the metallic grated scroll wheel in the prototype X5 than the current smooth rubbery in production cos with the metallic grated scroll wheel, I felt I had better control in navigation. With the current prod X5, it's more loose than my personal preference.

Welcome to freeze world, I did too but just on play back and the ten second reset instruction took care of it.

I also had problems having the scan to fully recognize the card that my DX50 gladly did. I did not have the time nor the inclination to figure out exactly where the problem
lies, too busy comparing, user interface testing, etc. I used a simpler layout and sound selection that permits me to evaluate the player instead of fighting the upheaval battle with the perfect scan.

I am a tad perplexed about the wheel surface thinking that the rubbery type was the way to go. I find it quite responsive but you gotta spin quite a bit for a larger selection (All music for example. My only little issue with the dap is when you need to fast forward through lengthy song sets (mine can go easily to one hour), the touch version from the DX50 is easier than clicking on a button and waiting until it reach the spot. I guess that's the difference between touch and wheel interfaces similarly like comparing the iPod and the classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back