FiiO X5 firmware 2.50 download and discussion
Jul 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #256 of 313
Actually, I saw Roger Waters at the Rogers centre a few years go in Toronto. The performance of the Wall was flawless. Unfortunately the venue (The Rogers Center) utterly and totally destroyed it. I should have known better. *sigh*  My tickets were also in how A and I had to wear hearing protection.  It was too ******* loud.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #257 of 313
Actually, I saw Roger Waters at the Rogers centre a few years go in Toronto. The performance of the Wall was flawless. Unfortunately the venue (The Rogers Center) utterly and totally destroyed it. I should have known better. *sigh*  My tickets were also in how A and I had to wear hearing protection.  It was too ******* loud.

Did you see them at their last show in Toronto or after they went their own ways? I remember the Toronto Pink Floyd concert but that was way way back.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #260 of 313
[wrong thread]

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #262 of 313
  Do you REALLY expect another FW upgrade now that all of their attention is on the MkII?

Not sure really. It depends on how similar the mkII underlying software is to the mkI. If, for instance, the base routines for managing the tags are the same but with issues addressed - like fast searching - then I can see them being transferred to the mkI. They do have a big customer base with the older model after all. However, I think it is pretty unlikely. What was their record for updating the X3 after the X5 came out? That might be another indicator :)

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #263 of 313
Given that the X5 1st gen is now deprecated and unlikely to receive further software updates, what's Fiio's stance on open sourcing the software?

One assumes that there's a core part that's third party - as an embedded software engineer it'd be really nice to get a go at the code and fix niggles if Fiio won't be supporting it much further.

Thanks Fiio!

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #264 of 313
I bloody well hope they sort this firmware out, but it has been awhile now since the last upgrade. 

You buy an incomplete product and wait over a year to fix it and then they forget all about you.

I, for one will take it to their facebook page and post complaints and I hope everyone else does the same...

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO?fref=ts

When will they sort out the firmware for the X5 original?

:)

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #265 of 313
  Given that the X5 1st gen is now deprecated and unlikely to receive further software updates, what's Fiio's stance on open sourcing the software?

One assumes that there's a core part that's third party - as an embedded software engineer it'd be really nice to get a go at the code and fix niggles if Fiio won't be supporting it much further.

Thanks Fiio!

It will be the same stand they have before. As we have talked about this awhile back, as part of the contract with the SoC supplier, FiiO is not allowed to open sourcing the firmware.

Also, the firmware for older devices are not abandoned yet. As James stated in FiiO's Chinese forum. It is just that there are more models to support now, so the firmware cycle for individual device gets slowed down.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #266 of 313
Good news - I don't read Chinese and the Google translate function gives less than accurate results.

I guess they're working mainly on the X5II firmware still. Ah well, here's hoping for an update soon :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #267 of 313
Sigh. I'm losing hope that we'll get any more significant updates to this unit. I was so impressed with the support for the X5 at first, but now it seems to have been left by the wayside.

All I wanted was ReplayGain support.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #268 of 313
I was tempted to go and help out at Rockbox.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioX3 http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,43525.30.html?PHPSESSID=o13fnmm5cfdjc9v4u6r6gu9sf4

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioX1

There seem to be pages for the X1 an X3 but nothing for the X5 even though it's the same CPU. It does seem that it's gained some momentum but it looks like it may have ran out of steam again. Getting it building for the architecture is quite easy as other Rockbox ports exist for that CPU - it's all the other bits (drivers, sound hardware, wrappers etc) that will take time.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #269 of 313
  Sigh. I'm losing hope that we'll get any more significant updates to this unit. I was so impressed with the support for the X5 at first, but now it seems to have been left by the wayside.

All I wanted was ReplayGain support.

Why bother supporting the "outdated" X5 when they can sell you a brand new X5ii?  <sarcasm>

Seriously, though, I am also extremely disappointed that Fiio appears to have tossed the X5 to the wayside.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #270 of 313
I sincerely hope they at least fix Hebrew/Arabic character support to not show as [X][X][X] (I can't tell how much I've harped on this issue the past few firmware threads).. That and ReplayGain support, though the latter is somewhat less important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back