FiiO X5 firmware 2.50 download and discussion
Jun 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #241 of 313
  Ok, so I watched a video online on how to place music on the X3/X5. I've been using Dapper to sync with my iTunes with some trial and error. You mean to tell me all I had to do was make folders named with my playlist and drag and drop the albums within that folder and copy it all onto the X5? Then I would basically have my playlists on the X5?

From reading your post, I can't work out exactly what you are trying to achieve (particularly what Dapper and iTunes had to do with it) so please excuse me if I have got it wrong with my following comments.

If you want to use playlists on the X5 (created elsewhere than the X5) then it's been discussed here - I don't think it's entirely straight forward so I never bothered myself:
How to Manually Create Playlists for the X5

If your playlists are just complete albums, and not random tracks from all over the place, then yes you could simply copy the albums or tracks you require into a folder named the same as your playlist, and just play that folder. But that seems to defeat the object of playlists though IMO.
Thats more or less the way I use the on-the-go feature. I just bang a load of tracks onto a 32GB card in one or two folders and play those.

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #242 of 313
If I just copy music into a folder does album art come as well? Or do I need to put that somewhere else? My playlists are albums and it would be easier to just copy them onto the card

From reading your post, I can't work out exactly what you are trying to achieve (particularly what Dapper and iTunes had to do with it) so please excuse me if I have got it wrong with my following comments.

If you want to use playlists on the X5 (created elsewhere than the X5) then it's been discussed here - I don't think it's entirely straight forward so I never bothered myself:
How to Manually Create Playlists for the X5

If your playlists are just complete albums, and not random tracks from all over the place, then yes you could simply copy the albums or tracks you require into a folder named the same as your playlist, and just play that folder. But that seems to defeat the object of playlists though IMO.
Thats more or less the way I use the on-the-go feature. I just bang a load of tracks onto a 32GB card in one or two folders and play those.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #243 of 313
If I just copy music into a folder does album art come as well? Or do I need to put that somewhere else? My playlists are albums and it would be easier to just copy them onto the card

Not sure about that. I always have the artwork on each track in the tags so it's not an issue. I believe if you have an image in the folder called something like front.jpg it is picked up for display, but maybe someone with more knowledge would give you a more definite answer.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #244 of 313
Hi all,

Has anyone found any solution to fw2.5 not playing with linux?

Slackware 14.1 64bit multilib here, and on connection, the device worked for about 5 seconds, then it took down both alsa and the usb bus.

I've never had a problem with the x3 or x5 and linux before. They always worked well with no hiccups.

In the meantime, reinstalled fw2.4 and everything is fine.

Perhaps Joe could shed some light on this?

Cheers

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #245 of 313
Problem with 200 GB cards!

There seems to be a problem with 200 GB cards affecting the media library. I'm confident that it can be fixed with (one of) the next firmware update(s).

And while you're at it, please add a shortcut to the equalizer from the «now playing» screen!

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #246 of 313
Hi all,

Has anyone found any solution to fw2.5 not playing with linux?

Slackware 14.1 64bit multilib here, and on connection, the device worked for about 5 seconds, then it took down both alsa and the usb bus.

I've never had a problem with the x3 or x5 and linux before. They always worked well with no hiccups.

In the meantime, reinstalled fw2.4 and everything is fine.

Perhaps Joe could shed some light on this?

Cheers

I sent Joe a PM about this bug, no answer so far.
The only way to use DAC mode with Linux is downgrading.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #247 of 313
Btw, what prevents the developers to implement the walk through the settings with the lower buttons? My wheel is broken which is no problem when I walk through the folder/file lists. But in the settings it gives me a real trouble.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #248 of 313
Btw, what prevents the developers to implement the walk through the settings with the lower buttons? My wheel is broken which is no problem when I walk through the folder/file lists. But in the settings it gives me a real trouble.

If your wheel is broken I'd send it to FiiO for repair.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #249 of 313

And while you're at it, please add a shortcut to the equalizer from the «now playing» screen!

I just got an X5 and I have been going a bit crazy trying to find how to jump to the equalizer while a song is playing. Are you saying it's impossible?

I've also been wondering if a firmware update will enable better support of button controls earphones. I am yet to find one that works at all.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #250 of 313
I just got an X5 and I have been going a bit crazy trying to find how to jump to the equalizer while a song is playing. Are you saying it's impossible?

I've also been wondering if a firmware update will enable better support of button controls earphones. I am yet to find one that works at all.

If you hold the upper right button that will jump you back to the main menu. It's the quickest way to get to the EQ. We've been asking for a shortcut in the now playing screen for some time now. So yes, it's impossible right now.

The X5 doesn't support headphone remote buttons like the X1, X3ii, and X5ii.

Since this thread is pretty much dead you guys should be posting in the regular X5 forum, you'd get much more replies.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/the-fiio-x5-thread

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #251 of 313
If you hold the upper right button that will jump you back to the main menu. It's the quickest way to get to the EQ. We've been asking for a shortcut in the now playing screen for some time now. So yes, it's impossible right now.

The X5 doesn't support headphone remote buttons like the X1, X3ii, and X5ii.

Since this thread is pretty much dead you guys should be posting in the regular X5 forum, you'd get much more replies.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/the-fiio-x5-thread

Thanks, I had better ask in the appropriate place. (To be clear, I have an X5 that's a gen 2... which I assume is the same as X5ii?)

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #252 of 313
Thanks, I had better ask in the appropriate place. (To be clear, I have an X5 that's a gen 2... which I assume is the same as X5ii?)

Ah, I thought you had the original X5 as this is the thread for that devices firmware.

Here is the appropriate thread for your device:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765943/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-impressions-and-discussion-tour-application-megathread

Did you enable the 'Supports In-Line Headphone' in the X5ii System Settings for your headphone cables with button control?

Anyway, this should be continued in the other thread.

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #254 of 313
  I've always used the 'If the music requires EQ, ditch either the recording or device' method.

Hehe, I am glad the CD mastering expert's don't have your philosophy. They apply EQ to all stages of mixing as it's rare that anything is perfect (or the artist wanted a different sound to what he/she got).
I try very hard not to use the EQ but some cd's get tiresome to listen to for long periods. The EQ can take that edge off. I prefer to listen to great music than bin it just because the engineers made a mess of it.
It's an interesting point, and of course, very subjective. You just have to look at any forum discussions on what the best version is (e.g. the vinyl, the original CD, the 1994 remaster, the 2012 German remaster or the 2014 Japanese remaster).

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #255 of 313
There's a big difference between adjusting track levels and frequency shaping.

Well... I suppose if you were paying for music at great cost you feel slighted at a ****ty recording - after you shelled out the bux.  MFSL re-masters seems to be a best bet in many cases. Not to worry, as the music distribution paradigm is completely changing, as its hard to deal with free.  I like websites that are going direct to market for artists. Getting rid of distributors is quite possible now and some groups have done just that.

Its true however that most artists have a tin ear. Its just the way it is. Case and point if you've been to a bar in the last few decades. I've not heard a single performance not destroyed by PA systems and I've given up on live performances as total crap unless you've got 10 drinks in you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back