Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #14,881 of 15,897
Well also give it a spin and the Hiby player works very nice! Did you set some settings of just default settings?
Yep, played with eq and it can be tweaked to maybe even outperform vibereffects on the stock player. UI on Hiby is not to my liking, to many clicks required to add song to playlist, to return to now playing etc. It is responsive and sounds better than Power AMP, Neutron, Onkyo etc. I still prefer FiiOs stock player UI everything is logically laid out and 1 click is all you need for most of the action. I'll very likely (like I did before) revert to FiiOs player after few days of playing with Hiby.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #14,882 of 15,897
For the last several days, mine has been working like a champ. No errant pauses at all and gapless working as it should. I alternate between the stock player and Hiby, just to keep things fresh! :wink:

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #14,883 of 15,897
I removed Fidelizer 1.2.3 and went back to FiiO 1.2.1 with standard kernel (so first installed standard kernel with AndroidTool and FiiO firmware 1.2.1 with X5III firmware upgrade tool), let it update to 1.2.4 (3 OTA updates). After that I factory reset everything. Installed TWRP, Jkbuha kernel and root. It's pretty stable now and runs great (I also removed all the bloat - so it's pretty clean now)
Hi

Where can I get the stock kernel from as I am looking to do the same as you?

Also what apps are safe to delete to get get rid of the bloat?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #14,884 of 15,897
Hi

Where can I get the stock kernel from as I am looking to do the same as you?

Also what apps are safe to delete to get get rid of the bloat?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Link to the X5III Firmware upgrade tool:
http://fiio-firmware.fiio.net/X5III Firmware Upgrade Tool with FW1.2.1.zip

Apps you can remove are the terrible ER File explorer, (animated) wallpapers, alternative language keyboards, Fiio market app, email & exchange apps, stock browser. You don't have to remove these apps - but I like to have a clean Android. Don't think that removing these apps will give a performance boost.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #14,885 of 15,897
For the last several days, mine has been working like a champ. No errant pauses at all and gapless working as it should. I alternate between the stock player and Hiby, just to keep things fresh! :wink:

A good alternative but unfortunately without .dsf is Gonemad. 14 days full trial, small, fast, unbreakable. Custom audio output (unnecessary for FiiO). The transition between tracks went and adjustable fadeout, replygain, flash between albums. Plus custom desktop colors or from templates, displaying tag data by your own choice including custom font sizes. Tag editor, sleep function, gestures, just about everything. And fast as a rat on the run. 4 euros paid version

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #14,886 of 15,897

Apps you can remove are the terrible ER File explorer, (animated) wallpapers, alternative language keyboards, Fiio market app, email & exchange apps, stock browser. You don't have to remove these apps - but I like to have a clean Android. Don't think that removing these apps will give a performance boost.

Thanks, would it be possible for you to list the instructions on how to flash/install TWRP & jkbuha kernel. I used to root my phones in Samsung S5 era but since then have lost touch with it.

I am confident but just need to know how to do it.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #14,887 of 15,897
Thanks, would it be possible for you to list the instructions on how to flash/install TWRP & jkbuha kernel. I used to root my phones in Samsung S5 era but since then have lost touch with it.

I am confident but just need to know how to do it.

https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14769688/

Please ignore the steps related to fidelizer in the beginning but after that it should be pretty clear what’s what.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #14,889 of 15,897
gonemad gets recommended for android but in this case it's not using the Fiio DAC, so I'm not sure that's the way to go if fidelity is what you are after

Gonemad won't be as bad as it looks. When its own sound system is turned on, it plays both 96 and 192 kHz HiRes tracks. Worse with our benefactor and author of this firmware. Each HiRes track over 96 kHz is very successful downgrading to half resolution. No matter whether it is from UAPP, Gonemad, FiiO Music. Output via Coax. USB output is a disaster as before. It works after a crash and restarts and stops playing completely or knocks out the sound. There were complaints about it before, I thought it was resolved definitively. Gonemad in Samsung Galaxy S via USB output all overwrite at 192 kHz by my Topping DX3. Enjoy the photo documents. I note that I have tried all the outputs of FiiO Music - SPDIF out over DoP, over D2P etc.
But with Topping NX4 DSD plays as a twin via USB output, DSD 64 anything. And immediately. Via FiiO cable also via Topping USB cable. Nice chaos

96 kHz res
FiiO 96.jpg Gonemad 96.jpg UAPP 96.jpg

192 kHz

FiiO 96.jpg Gonemad 96.jpg UAPP 96.jpg

PC 192 kHz
Foobar PC 192.jpg

Attachments

• Fiio 192.jpg
    Fiio 192.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Gonemad 192.jpg
    Gonemad 192.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 0
  • UAPP 193.jpg
    UAPP 193.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #14,890 of 15,897
I think my receiver takes Gonemad as bitperfect player. The player must be able to decode HiRes until it is sent to SPDIF or processed into an analog. Gonemad still has the ability to fix the screen 90, 180 degrees as UAPP, but more skilfully. Here it is upside down.

sony.jpg

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #14,891 of 15,897
Happy Sunday all...

Kernel v3.0 is now code complete, and is in beta testing phase. As can be seen from the changeling below, this release tests the limits of the hardware capabilities of the FiiO, and also adds some new audio and display drivers, so I want to ensure it works well on everyone's player.

Anyone that would like to be part of beta testing, is familiar with adb shell commands and ideally Mac/Linux feel free to send me a PM.

Changelog
=========

Version 3.0
New: Upstreamed relevant portions of kernel source code to Linux 3.10.49
New: NeoX CPU governor
New: Improved interactiveX governor with increased performance and more power saving on idle (2 core shutdown)
New: Custom AK4490 driver with up to 768kHz oversampling
New: Custom plugin module for AK4490 to add more audio filters in future
New: CPU overclocking to 2016MHz! (Super significant performance improvement)
New: GPU overclocking to 600MHz (More fluid screen responsiveness)
New: DDR overclocking to 800MHz (Ultra-fast memory and software processing)
New: Reduced Graphics requirements from 225MB down to 80MB (20% more available RAM)
New: Adaptive Low Memory Killer (A-LMK) algorithm
New: A-LMK optimised scripting (thanks again to prispewnic)
New: Compaction algorithm for low memory killer
New: FiiO RK3188/RK3188T efuse algorithm handling
New: VM Pressure algorithm implementation
Enhanced: zram and zcache now compressed with LZ4
Enhanced: better voltage regulation code
Enhanced: support for apll, cpll and gpll clocks on RK30 board
Enhanced: better GPIO code specific to FiiO player
Enhanced: removed unnecessary encryption

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #14,893 of 15,897
Yes that's where adaptive LMK in v3 comes into play, and also why we're beta testing :)

Any specific LMK settings suggestions just drop me a private message.

Apr 14, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #14,895 of 15,897

Hi, I'm new here. Is there a way to do this from a Mac? I'm trying to roll back firmware because I suddenly have a problem with random pausing after I recently updated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back