Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #14,851 of 15,897
Using firmware, v 1.2.4, FiiO Music v. 1.1.0. US settings. Most all is working good with play back of flac and gapless,DSD gapless does not work and has small click between tracks. I converted DSD to 96-24 flac and all is fine. I mostly use folder play Artist/Album/Disc/Track 01-99. The artist name is in the right order and the back button work the way it should. The random play so far is perfect and the resume works also. This is all I have tested because that what I use most. The one thing I always do before updating is take the cards out, reset the database then update. Before I put the cards back in for scan I delete all files that are not needed on a computer to play the music. You need to have on view all files. Don’t know if it helps but it don’t hurt. I do not root cause I don't care to.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #14,852 of 15,897
one thing that I'm not understanding is the FiiO Music version numbering scheme. I see V3.4.3 on the website, but some here are referring to V1.1.x. What is the difference here?

Thanks!

Edit to add, BTW, lots of listening time today (4+ hours) with no errant pauses.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #14,853 of 15,897
Version 3.4.3 is from firmware 1.2.1, in FW 1.2.2 we got a refresh of FiiO music, renamed version wise because of its entrance into standalone app for iOS and Android (but not consistently updated on those platforms' stores). That first FM revision was 1.0.8, in FW 1.2.3 we got version 1.0.9 and days prior to release of FW 1.2.4 FiiO shared 1.1.0 on their official forums.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #14,854 of 15,897
And, while we're at it: quick update regarding the *battery* issue. The replacement battery has NOT arrived yet, but my general calculations in re: shipments of this nature from China have me guessing it will arrive sometime within the next week or so. Pictures will be provided upon arrival. @jkbuha: if you need any further shots of the innards, now's the time to let me know.

S.

Yes please - the more the merrier, though could the flash be disabled if possible, as last time I couldn't read the components :)

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #14,856 of 15,897
Pipe Dream.........

A FiiO app that could actually connect to my X5iii from my android phone via bluetooth and control my dap, browse music, change songs, viper settings, etc etc etc.

I actually lol'd while typing that.

One mans dream.

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #14,857 of 15,897
I think of going to sell my X5III. I really would like the X5III to be good - and I have tried a lot like buying fidelizer Advanced rom, using it with/without the modified kernel, using the base firmware with and without kernel but it's still not great. Maybe because I'm used to use the X5 1st gen which just... works. So yesterday I played the whole day some big DSD Flac files on my X5 1st gen and everything played great. The UI is fast and clear. Today I'm trying to play the same files on my X5III and it's the worst. After some freezes it plays, pauzes and then plays again. The UI is terrible (why is the Play all button under the back button) and even with the modified kernel it's slow. After 2 hours of struggling I removed my SD cards from the X5III and into my X5 1st gen and yes it's perfect again.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #14,858 of 15,897
I think of going to sell my X5III. I really would like the X5III to be good - and I have tried a lot like buying fidelizer Advanced rom, using it with/without the modified kernel, using the base firmware with and without kernel but it's still not great. Maybe because I'm used to use the X5 1st gen which just... works. So yesterday I played the whole day some big DSD Flac files on my X5 1st gen and everything played great. The UI is fast and clear. Today I'm trying to play the same files on my X5III and it's the worst. After some freezes it plays, pauzes and then plays again. The UI is terrible (why is the Play all button under the back button) and even with the modified kernel it's slow. After 2 hours of struggling I removed my SD cards from the X5III and into my X5 1st gen and yes it's perfect again.

Worth replying here to remind us all why we're investing time in this player...

I don't have an X5 1st gen, so I can't comment on that player. I have the 3rd gen, and I agree with you there that the initial out of box experience was not great. But I invested the time and effort to (i) understand the shortcomings (which incidentally are mainly due to Rockchip and Android, not FiiO), and (ii) learn how to address these shortcomings. So I invested the time to understand Rockchip, Linux and custom kernel building, as well as what makes android players truly great (hint: it's the relationship between the OS and the DAC, which is where Android truly shines, particularly when you have the source code... And thus I built a custom kernel, which if I may so myself, has really transformed the way the X5iii works. It's important to note that I need an Android player because I mainly use streaming services (Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Soundcloud) and bit-perfect players (Neutron, UAPP) that I couldn't use with closed-garden software, which is why I graduated from an iPod Classic in the first place. For anyone that mainly uses stored media (or doesn't use the player as a DAC), then I agree that you're probably better off with non-android players, because the UI/UX will always be more responsive. Android hasn't yet matured to the point that it will be as responsive as a micro-kernel based player. But the custom kernel does come pretty close. Version 3.0 will ship with a clock speed of 2016MHz, and RAM speed of 800MHz, officially making the X5iii the fastest performing RK3188 device on the planet (I know because they are the highest ranking scores on Geekbench), and this wouldn't have been possible with a closed-source community.

So I can fully understand your need to regress to the original X5. And for those of us that need the openness of third-party software (and to be honest, enjoy tweaking the performance of their devices to their maximum potential), there are players such as the X5iii.... :)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #14,859 of 15,897
So I can fully understand your need to regress to the original X5. And for those of us that need the openness of third-party software (and to be honest, enjoy tweaking the performance of their devices to their maximum potential), there are players such as the X5iii.... :)

I must say that using the firmware without your kernel is a disaster and with your kernel it's a lot (really a lot!) better. I know how much time it takes to create the thing you have created (I have some understanding in creating Android modifications). So ignore (too late!!) my rant and continue your great work. I think I'm going to store the X5III for a few weeks and start again fresh. I've read that you almost ready with the new kernel (and maybe a complete firmware) - so maybe I'm going to wait for that.

Comparing a device for only playing stored media or a device also capable using streaming services is not really fair. Also comparing the X5 1st gen and the X5III is like comparing a bike with a car. Both can get from point A to point B - but you're likely to have less accidents with a bike the a car - but a car is so much more (ok bad comparison :) ) So again ignore my furious rant and sorry that I was not more courteous about your amazing work.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #14,860 of 15,897
If I recall correctly, it is not required to root the device to install the latest kernel via TWRP, correct?

I installed the most recent iteration of Fidelizer 1.2.3 last night. I was told by the developer this version left enough space in system/media that installing jkbuha's kernel would be possible.
upd
I just reinstalled TWRP which was successful. I then copied jkubha's latest zip file onto the X5's internal drive. I then rebooted into recovery and via TWRP "installed" the zip folder. However, I get a "failed" message but no specific error description(as in the past re: lack of partition space available). I went ahead and cleared cache via TWRP. Nervously, I rebooted the X5, it updated and optimized 36 android files and then successfully opened. When I check "about device", I see the following:

"Kernel Version
3.0.101+
jkubha@Virtualbox #3
Sat. Jan 19 12:49:18 GMT 2019"

The player appears to be operating properly. Does the above, in spite of the "failed" indicator suggest the kernel was installed? Was root needed/required to do this properly?

Powderphinger

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #14,861 of 15,897
If I recall correctly, it is not required to root the device to install the latest kernel via TWRP, correct?

I installed the most recent iteration of Fidelizer 1.2.3 last night. I was told by the developer this version left enough space in system/media that installing jkbuha's kernel would be possible.
upd
I just reinstalled TWRP which was successful. I then copied jkubha's latest zip file onto the X5's internal drive. I then rebooted into recovery and via TWRP "installed" the zip folder. However, I get a "failed" message but no specific error description(as in the past re: lack of partition space available). I went ahead and cleared cache via TWRP. Nervously, I rebooted the X5, it updated and optimized 36 android files and then successfully opened. When I check "about device", I see the following:

"Kernel Version
3.0.101+
jkubha@Virtualbox #3

The player appears to be operating properly. Does the above, in spite of the "failed" indicator suggest the kernel was installed? Was root needed/required to do this properly?

Powderphinger

Root is not needed to install the kernel properly. However root is beneficial in installing apps that benefit from root level access. Greenify (battery life improvements), Titanium Backup (freezing or deleting bloat), Kernel Adiutor (many things, though I use it to bring the minimum CPU frequency with screen off up to 504 MHz from its minimum ~300 ).

I don’t think you have the latest kernel however, is the zip you installed 2.8? The date in the kernel description should show March something not January.

To know if everything is working right, on your first boot from the flashing of kernel zip on TWRP, leave it running for several minutes. While it is on turn the display time out off (sleep after - NEVER). Reboot player. When it reboots this 2nd time as soon as you can see the lock screen swipe in, watch the bottom of screen near the shortcuts bar, and wait for “2.8 ALL OPTIMIZATIONS DONE” to pop up there.

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #14,862 of 15,897
Root is not needed to install the kernel properly. However root is beneficial in installing apps that benefit from root level access. Greenify (battery life improvements), Titanium Backup (freezing or deleting bloat), Kernel Adiutor (many things, though I use it to bring the minimum CPU frequency with screen off up to 504 MHz from its minimum ~300 ).

I don’t think you have the latest kernel however, is the zip you installed 2.8? The date in the kernel description should show March something not January.

To know if everything is working right, on your first boot from the flashing of kernel zip on TWRP, leave it running for several minutes. While it is on turn the display time out off (sleep after - NEVER). Reboot player. When it reboots this 2nd time as soon as you can see the lock screen swipe in, watch the bottom of screen near the shortcuts bar, and wait for “2.8 ALL OPTIMIZATIONS DONE” to pop up there.

I'm confident that I placed the 2.8.5 zip folder on the X5's drive. "Short cuts bar"... ??? Is this in android mode? Do you mean the black bar at the bottom that includes a back symbol, circle and a square?

In any event, I've not noted any such message coming up.

Powderphinger

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #14,863 of 15,897
I'm confident that I placed the 2.8.5 zip folder on the X5's drive. "Short cuts bar"... ??? Is this in android mode? Do you mean the black bar at the bottom that includes a back symbol, circle and a square?

In any event, I've not noted any such message coming up.

Powderphinger

Yes in android mode, shortcuts are whatever little bar of apps live at the bottom.

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #14,864 of 15,897
"Kernel Version
3.0.101+
jkubha@Virtualbox #3

If you only install TWRP you will see above message in About Device - so jkbuha's kernel is not successfully installed.

Normally you see something like (I have a slightly different kernel)

3.0.101+
jkbuha@prispewnic #28
Wed Mar 27 08:34:46 GMT 2019

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #14,865 of 15,897
45550477-DA2E-474C-B4DF-F72BFE03063A.png
This is what you should see. (Except for the build number since Fidelizer is 1.2.3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back