Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #12,646 of 15,899
Is it just me or is a flat balance Pure Music mode louder than PowerAmp on the android side? I checked all the settings and they are at stock no tweaked level. Its easily 10 points lower on PA tham on PM.
try messing with the DVC (direct volume control) setting in poweramp.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #12,648 of 15,899
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #12,649 of 15,899
From the review:
black hiss-free background in comparison to a rather noisy and hissing background of X5iii when testing with sensitive iems.

I have no hiss on my x5iii

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #12,650 of 15,899
From the review:
black hiss-free background in comparison to a rather noisy and hissing background of X5iii when testing with sensitive iems.

I have no hiss on my x5iii
And you also don't have sensitive enough IEMs too I presume?

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #12,652 of 15,899
N5ii vs X5iii – N5ii soundstage is a little bit wider, but the first thing you notice right away is a black hiss-free background in comparison to a rather noisy and hissing background of X5iii when testing with sensitive iems. There are also differences in tonality with N5ii being more neutral, more transparent, more layered, and having a better dynamics expansion in comparison to a smoother, fuller body, more musical, and slightly more compressed in dynamics sound of X5iii. Both have the same internal storage and dual uSD expansion, volume wheel and hw playback controls, as well as support of BT/wireless and WiFi with Google Play support. Besides sound quality difference where N5ii has an upper hand, another big difference is FiiO offering a full open Android experience with a bigger higher quality display and a typical Android-smartphone type of navigation, while N5ii still has Android experience that feels as an add-on, “hidden” out of sight.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #12,653 of 15,899
Have you by any chance heard the i5 side by side with the N5ii. Haven't heard the N5ii myself but I doubt it is better than the i5, judging by reviews and the general consensus, plus Cayin themselves don't sell it as an upgrade to i5 anyway.
That said, I still haven't decided which I like the most, i5 or X5iii.
The point is that it all comes down to personal preference after all.
N5ii vs i5
– when comparing the soundstage, I hear N5ii SE to be very close to i5, but when you switch to N5ii BAL, the soundstage has a wider expansion. When comparing sound tonality, need to take SE vs BAL into consideration as well. N5ii BAL is more neutral in tonality with a leaner low end and lower mids and more revealing upper mids and airier sparkly treble when compared to a fuller body i5 with a smoother upper mids/treble where you also have a little stronger mid-bass impact. But when you compare N5ii SE to i5, N5ii is closer in tonality because it has a little more body in lower mids and a touch stronger bass impact, through it’s still more revealing in upper mids and has a little more sparkle in treble. Also, N5ii background is blacker with a minimum hissing when it comes to sensitive IEMs, while i5 has more hissing. Both have identical GUI interface, touch screen, support of BT and WiFi, and access to Google Play store and apps. From hw perspective, N5ii has 2x uSD cards (vs one in i5) and a balanced output (vs only SE in i5). N5ii also has smaller footprint.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #12,654 of 15,899
I am curious as to what you hope to accomplish here seanwee.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #12,656 of 15,899
Feb 11, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #12,657 of 15,899
Any help is appreciated. Recently got a Jotunhsim to use as my man amplifie, the K5. With the X5 gen 3 as the source, and a Fiio RM1 as a remote. All is well but after an hour or so of listening the K5 would intermediately lose power briefly, signal the auto shut-off on the X5 for a moment, and stop playback. What gives? Is the remote playing with me or should I consider a LPS for the Fiio dock to keep power steady?

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #12,658 of 15,899
Any help is appreciated. Recently got a Jotunhsim to use as my man amplifie, the K5. With the X5 gen 3 as the source, and a Fiio RM1 as a remote. All is well but after an hour or so of listening the K5 would intermediately lose power briefly, signal the auto shut-off on the X5 for a moment, and stop playback. What gives? Is the remote playing with me or should I consider a LPS for the Fiio dock to keep power steady?
What are your settings for "idle poweroff" & "sleep", either that or a flaky power supply for the K5. I returned my K5 because it did some weird things. Still looking for a good amp.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #12,660 of 15,899
What are your settings for "idle poweroff" & "sleep", either that or a flaky power supply for the K5. I returned my K5 because it did some weird things. Still looking for a good amp.

My thought exactly. I made sure to have both the K5 and Jotunheim plugged into dedicated outlets; no power strips. And I've had my X5s sleep and idle set off b/c of glitches in Tidal playback. Instead of buying a new DAC for the Jotunheim I think I may just try a cost effective Chi-Fi LPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back