Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #12,676 of 15,897
I think they should just establish repair centers, at least one in the EU and another in the US. As the company become more and more well-known and popular, this should be paramount-one of their top priorities. I woudln't mind sending my DAP to a repair center for a battery change in 1-2 years from now for a reasonable cost.

Cowon have set a UK repair center as far as I'm concerned.

It's a shame to treat a good sounding device as ''expandable'' as you rightly say due to possible battery failure...

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #12,677 of 15,897
Do you have these issues if the X5 is plugged in to a power source while playing? Just thinking of battery failure perhaps?

I hate to say it but once out of warranty you have to almost treat these Chinese devices as expendables. Next time I buy on Amazon I'll take the insurance, so I can just get the money back if it fails.

The surging is not apparent when playing with the device plugged in.
I compiled a 3-5 hour analysis of the symptoms as the battery drained from 100% to 29% and sent it to support. Unfortunately this was just as they were shutting down for the Chinese New Year. So, we’ll see.

If I ever deal with another foreign company on a product this expensive, I will definitely get the Amazon insurance as you suggested. All corporations now days would prefer to give you the run-around on repairs – but the logistics make it more difficult when dealing with an overseas company.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #12,678 of 15,897
I think they should just establish repair centers, at least one in the EU and another in the US. As the company become more and more well-known and popular, this should be paramount-one of their top priorities. I woudln't mind sending my DAP to a repair center for a battery change in 1-2 years from now for a reasonable cost.

Cowon have set a UK repair center as far as I'm concerned.

It's a shame to treat a good sounding device as ''expandable'' as you rightly say due to possible battery failure...

Agreed, a few repair centres would be a big plus if screens break, batteries fail, connections become loose etc. I hope to enjoy both my X5iii & x7ii for many years and repair volumes might be low but I think somebody could do it. I had to send my Marshall Woburn from UK to Germany for a fix and the process was quite easy I got it back within about 2 weeks. I'm sure something similar could be possible & worth it for the more expensive products and Fiio might also consider designing for owners to slot batteries in & out like a phone.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #12,679 of 15,897
The surging is not apparent when playing with the device plugged in.
I compiled a 3-5 hour analysis of the symptoms as the battery drained from 100% to 29% and sent it to support. Unfortunately this was just as they were shutting down for the Chinese New Year. So, we’ll see.

If I ever deal with another foreign company on a product this expensive, I will definitely get the Amazon insurance as you suggested. All corporations now days would prefer to give you the run-around on repairs – but the logistics make it more difficult when dealing with an overseas company.

Hopefully, a company that values its customers & strives to offer decent products will not ignore you or give you the run around. Have you contacted your local seller for advice too?
BTW @FiiO are not on vacation until 15th so you might get some news sooner. Good luck.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #12,680 of 15,897
Yeah I thought I was going to be able to use my X5 with my K5 as a balanced dac for my Jotunheim via XLR but the dock always kicks out a lil distortion in the low end in the right channel; same with K5s amp. I'm awaiting a linear power supply praying that will fix it but I doubt ill be buying Fiio after this. The line in and outs work fine but I wanted to utiliZe the balanced dac. I see a Teac UD-301 in my future but apparently that has issues too. Bleh.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #12,681 of 15,897
so I finally got my XLR to 2.5mm adapter in from VE after my first one from Amazon came DOA and so I took the time the try the X5 with the R70x which is probably the hardest to drive out of anything I've currently and ever owned. Just wanted to give some impression in terms of what the X5 is capable of driving.

Let me start by saying that on most of my collection, I was able to drive the R70x at about 100-110 on high gain either from the SE or balanced output (no turbo mode). On the quietest track I have (which is substantially quieter than anything else in my collection), I was able to get good volume (louder than I'd listen to at my open office, but a little quieter than what I listen to at home) at max level on high gain, but turning on turbo mode on balanced mode definitely helped. With turbo mode, you get an extra 10-15 steps on high gain, so on tracks I had been listening to at around 110, I was able to listen at around 100. On the quietest track with turbo mode on, I was able to listen up to 112, anything higher was too loud for me.

IMG_20180214_001130.jpg

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #12,682 of 15,897
Hi,

I have been reading most of the post here and this is my first post, hope someone can provide me some advise on WIFI issue I am facing now.

Since couple of weeks ago, I experience WIFI connection problem on my X5 3rd Gen with empty radar icon and exclamation mark on the pull down menu besides SSID. Firmware was 1.1.9. I have checked the saved network and the SSID is correct. I have tried to forget this SSID and add new network with WIFI setting WPA2 PSK similar to router settings and password. Still I cant get the WIFI network connected.

Yesterday, I upgraded to firmware 1.2.0, still WIFI issue is there.

Kindly advise me what to do. Eg. factory reset.?

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #12,683 of 15,897
Anybody with problems with volume knob? Since a week the volume knob is far more louder, i hear clicking sound and when i move the slider up, down - it skip few steps, then get 6 steps forward......i had my fiio in repair for white marks on display i dont send it again for a month away....

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #12,684 of 15,897
kabel symetricky mikrofonny.jpg
priklad hotovy kabel.jpg
1 (1).png
And for balanced output, with the fiio F5 IEM, F9 - i cannot hear difference between unbalanced, maybe volume only.... but with the big hifiman over ears with balanced cable its another story --- bigger sounstage, it changed the bass - for better..... my question is ----i have a power amp for speakers, headpohones with balanced input ---- tried someone cables like this?... i will try build one, but for now i dont know how to connect 2 xlr to 2,5 mm TRRS with balanced cable :) SEE PICTURES.... send me a tip... many thanks :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #12,688 of 15,897
i really hope soon we will see a fiio x5 4th gen with at least 4 giga ram and android 8

i do not get why there are dirt cheap phones with 4 gigs ram and no dap maker at all uses 3 gigs of ram and latest android

for me i simply can not keep on using daps that are so slow in their UI

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #12,689 of 15,897
i really hope soon we will see a fiio x5 4th gen with at least 4 giga ram and android 8

i do not get why there are dirt cheap phones with 4 gigs ram and no dap maker at all uses 3 gigs of ram and latest android

for me i simply can not keep on using daps that are so slow in their UI

I think, in my opinion, the answer to your question is because it's not a phone. It doesn't need the latest Android, it's just needs enough Android to do what it needs.
The UI is seperate to Android. Yes there is a default but as many phone companies will show you can have as many UIs as you can develop.

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #12,690 of 15,897
I think, in my opinion, the answer to your question is because it's not a phone. It doesn't need the latest Android, it's just needs enough Android to do what it needs.
The UI is seperate to Android. Yes there is a default but as many phone companies will show you can have as many UIs as you can develop.

the sound quality between phones as lg v30 and daps is getting closer, so to keep on suffering with such slow buggy user experience is not fun anymore

why on earth are dap makers cutting corners when such components are dirt cheap to begin with.

common dap makers put the latest components and charge us an extra buck or two

to be honest i just do not get why on earth dap makers choose such old components to begin with, I am really wondering what is the reason behind their decisions.

having a great smooth user experience is a must to enjoy whatever device you use , form a phone to a dap to what ever

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back