Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #12,691 of 15,897
to be honest i just do not get why on earth dap makers choose such old components to begin with, I am really wondering what is the reason behind their decisions.

At the end of the day cost. Everything is built down to a profit, not up to performance. Sad but true. It's also been stated that the dedicated dap market these days is very much a niche. As has been pointed out before most people are quite happy using their phones as music players so no need to carry around a second device just for one purpose.

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #12,692 of 15,897
At the end of the day cost. Everything is built down to a profit, not up to performance. Sad but true. It's also been stated that the dedicated dap market these days is very much a niche. As has been pointed out before most people are quite happy using their phones as music players so no need to carry around a second device just for one purpose.

i understand that, but the cost of such components are so dirt cheap to begin with why cut such a huge user experience for a few bucks extra, that most head-fiers are willing to pay the difference for

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #12,693 of 15,897
i understand that, but the cost of such components are so dirt cheap to begin with why cut such a huge user experience for a few bucks extra, that most head-fiers are willing to pay the difference for

You do raise an interesting point. And, I do wonder what the cost penalty (price hike) would be if Fiio were to offer a device with the power & screen to run high quality (4K) music videos easily from 128GB of internal memory (& keep both SD slots, of course) - great for travelling. And, if batteries are a threat to DAP longevity, then maybe they should be user replaceable. Maybe that's the X9?

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #12,694 of 15,897
Yeah, and while they're at it they can also add cleaning dishes and walking the dog. That would be a truly complete gadget! Maybe X21?
Seriously, why do you need 4K VIDEOS on a 4" Digital AUDIO Player?! :confused:

You know, it's called like that for a reason... To be highly specialized in exactly that and only that.
Don't you have smartphones and tablets that do everything else?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #12,695 of 15,897
Yeah, and while they're at it they can also add cleaning dishes and walking the dog. That would be a truly complete gadget! Maybe X21?
Rip eyesight

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #12,696 of 15,897

You know, it's called like that for a reason... To be highly specialized in exactly that and only that.
Don't you have smartphones and tablets that do everything else?

I have a 4K display for a 4K movie, I have only FHD and HD movies on my T580 (tablet) and 6.44" smartphone, and I don't think I would ever watch any 4K movie on a DAP, it would be silly.

FiiO Q5 can connect to my T580 (samsung Tablet) via APT-X, and that makes movies much much more enjoyable!

Plus, those players do not have 4K resolutiuon, so you cannot see 4K on them :)

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #12,697 of 15,897
OK, then why not have the X9 designed to read ever greater frequencies & bit rates & output signals way beyond even the 40Khz that Fiio iems reproduce (as only 2 times normal hearing)? That way, we focus only on sound so improving the sensitivity & resolution of the screen won't matter because we can all carry better tablets on our travels? Seems fair enough.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #12,698 of 15,897
OK, then why not have the X9 designed to read ever greater frequencies & bit rates & output signals way beyond even the 40Khz that Fiio iems reproduce (as only 2 times normal hearing)? That way, we focus only on sound so improving the sensitivity & resolution of the screen won't matter because we can all carry better tablets on our travels? Seems fair enough.

Welp, let's put things this way :)

I have a 6.44" smartphone that is a bit too small for my hands and eyes. Kindly imagine what would happen if I even remotely tried using something with a 5" or even 5.5" to watch movies :)

improving sensitivity and resolution of the screen is a necessity, as well as improving the color reproduction, brightness and color balance, so it can be used outside.

I'd also improve the GUI so that the cover art is shown on the entire display while playing music, like Opus does.

Another thing that I'd vastly improve if I were FiiO is the battery life :)

But even so, I wouldn't think or imagine that any DAP would be able to play 4K any time soon, as neither my phone or my tablet can, they stutter and ultimately look awful trying to, unless they get a very specific codec, and both are upper midrange items.

I don't think that you would really care as much about resolution alone as much as you'd care about brightness, color reproduction, color accuracy and many other aspects, even size of the display

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #12,699 of 15,897

I have a 6.44" smartphone that is a bit too small for my hands and eyes. Kindly imagine what would happen if I even remotely tried using something with a 5" or even 5.5" to watch movies :)

improving sensitivity and resolution of the screen is a necessity, as well as improving the color reproduction, brightness and color balance, so it can be used outside.

I'd also improve the GUI so that the cover art is shown on the entire display while playing music, like Opus does.

Another thing that I'd vastly improve if I were FiiO is the battery life :)

But even so, I wouldn't think or imagine that any DAP would be able to play 4K any time soon, as neither my phone or my tablet can, they stutter and ultimately look awful trying to, unless they get a very specific codec, and both are upper midrange items.

I don't think that you would really care as much about resolution alone as much as you'd care about brightness, color reproduction, color accuracy and many other aspects, even size of the display
I've enjoyed watching music videos on my old I-pod with a tiny screen as it adds to the pleasure of listening to the music. On a screen the size of my x7ii or a tiny bit bigger, I'd settle for BluRay:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #12,700 of 15,897

LOL, that line made my day. So true though, I have no such issues with small screens but I think even 1080p video on a DAP is too much.

Honestly after much experimenting i find that I only need 2160p once I get past 30" or so screen size (i REFUSE to call it 4k, that's such a stupid name, the name has always been denoting the smaller axes).

Also: Opus is not android is it? It looks to be an awesome DAP, i'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were android.

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #12,701 of 15,897
LOL, that line made my day. So true though, I have no such issues with small screens but I think even 1080p video on a DAP is too much.

Honestly after much experimenting i find that I only need 2160p once I get past 30" or so screen size (i REFUSE to call it 4k, that's such a stupid name, the name has always been denoting the smaller axes).

Also: Opus is not android is it? It looks to be an awesome DAP, i'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were android.

It is android, but a custom version of it. Can run many apps though :)

As for 4K, I only run 2160 on 43", on 25" I still have a QHD display, and everything smaller is FHD in my collection

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #12,702 of 15,897
Playing 4k on anything is most certainly going to eat through battery life.

Besides, playing 4k on a Dap is like having a crazy large album art. It wastes space and looks the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back