Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #12,721 of 15,897
Seems you have a “puritan” methodology. By that I mean you probably don’t believe in EQ modification,
but would prefer that a devices “native” sound be true to your taste – right out of the box. That’s probably OK for classical pieces. And commendable.
But when you have to list demos as 1,2,3 that means you’re still looking for a 10.

I used to be that way too, until I did a little research on the extensive mixing, overdubbing and other tricks they play when manufacturing “popular” commercially produced tracks.

For example the extremely popular (at the time) "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"
by Otis Redding in 1968, was overdubbed with the guitar track - after Otis’ death in a plane crash.
Did you know that?

In other words if most of my music tracks are audio manipulated, I feel that my manipulating them a little further by EQ isn’t going to spoil the “purity” any more than it’s already been spoiled.

If a device seems to produce all the ambience of musical tracks – and isn’t extremely harsh or muddy – I can play around with that…. within limits, of course.
Ah, yes I have read about the sins of poor mixing and mastering of tracks many times before and you do raise a very interesting point.

However, most of my music are soundtracks anyways so most are well mastered.

About EQ, yes, while EQ can manipulate a device's signature it does little in the way of improving say, the detail or instrument separation of a device.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #12,722 of 15,897
Ah, yes I have read about the sins of poor mixing and mastering of tracks many times before and you do raise a very interesting point.

However, most of my music are soundtracks anyways so most are well mastered.

About EQ, yes, while EQ can manipulate a device's signature it does little in the way of improving say, the detail or instrument separation of a device.

I agree wholeheartedly. If the basic tonal ranges and frequencies are not there, you’ve got an expensive paperweight. And no degree of amplification or software manipulation will improve upon that.

So this is what we endeavor to look for in a demoed device.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #12,723 of 15,897
TBH the X5iii really underperforms in sound when compared to other options in the same price range.

After demoing a few DAPs in the 200-400 dollar price range I put it at the bottom for sound quality but YMMV, sound is subjective. The Opus 1s and the N5ii stand at the top in terms of sound quality in the price range with the N5ii edging out the Opus slightly in the soundsage and detail department.

If you want to hear all the ambient details I'd suggest you sell the X5iii and get the N5ii or the Opus 1s. The X5iii is more suited for relaxed listening. The UI experience is also better/faster on both.

Thx for the perspective. It looks like in the mid-tier DAP price range of around $400, the N5ii & the Opus #1s are the best in SQ. I'm looking to upgrade from a Fiio X3ii. I don't care about streaming, wi-fi, bluetooth, or apps. I just want a dedicated player. Is it a big jump in SQ to go from an X3ii to either an N5ii or Opus #1s? - Are there any other options I should consider? - I like the clean sound of the X3ii, but it is a bit sterile.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,724 of 15,897
Thx for the perspective. It looks like in the mid-tier DAP price range of around $400, the N5ii & the Opus #1s are the best in SQ. I'm looking to upgrade from a Fiio X3ii. I don't care about streaming, wi-fi, bluetooth, or apps. I just want a dedicated player. Is it a big jump in SQ to go from an X3ii to either an N5ii or Opus #1s? - Are there any other options I should consider? - I like the clean sound of the X3ii, but it is a bit sterile.
If you're not into streaming and other ''smart'' features, do yourself a favor and get a used Plenue 1. It should be relaively easy to find one around the $300 mark.
Do this and thank me later :)
In my opinion, none of these mid-tier DAPs can even come close to its SQ. I once heard it briefly and was blwon away. If only it had all modern features because I myself am interested in streaming and such.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #12,725 of 15,897
If you're not into streaming and other ''smart'' features, do yourself a favor and get a used Plenue 1. It should be relaively easy to find one around the $300 mark.
In my opinion, none of these mid-tier DAPs can even come close to its SQ. I once heard it briefly and was blwon away. If only it had all modern features because I myself am interested in streaming and such.

I tried a Cowon J3 when that came out, and while I thought it sounded great, the sound was a bit artificial. It was either a J3 or Sony NWZ-A865. I kept the Sony. That's my limited experience with Cowon. I just looked, and I can only find this Cowon P1 at it's current retail price of $449. I suppose it is now in the ring. Fight!

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #12,726 of 15,897
I tried a Cowon J3 when that came out, and while I thought it sounded great, the sound was a bit artificial. It was either a J3 or Sony NWZ-A865. I kept the Sony. That's my limited experience with Cowon. I just looked, and I can only find this Cowon P1 at it's current retail price of $449. I suppose it is now in the ring. Fight!
I had a Cown D3 myself in the past. Nothing comparable between these 2. Every brand, model, device generation competes with a different rival at a certain point in time.

The P1 sound is as analogue as you can get. The complete opposite from ''artificial''. I can tell it in certainty because I champion this type of sound.

However, these are only personal perceptions and everyone hears differently and has different tastes in music. This is why I usually take reviews with a grain of salt until I lsten to something myself.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #12,727 of 15,897
Used, no wonder I didn't consider it. I look for DAPs at their msrp. How's buying used DAPs? I assume it's better than buying phones because audiophiles usually handle their gear with more care.

I looked at a few reviews and the Cowon plenue 1 is described as smooth, warm, analogue and somewhat dark sounding.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised that the plenue 1 outperforms all the mid first players. It was first sold at 1k dollars then it dropped to 699 dollars. Its a higher price range product.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #12,728 of 15,897
Used, no wonder I didn't consider it. I look for DAPs at their msrp. How's buying used DAPs? I assume it's better than buying phones because audiophiles usually handle their gear with more care.

I looked at a few reviews and the Cowon plenue 1 is described as smooth, warm, analogue and somewhat dark sounding.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised that the plenue 1 outperforms all the mid first players. It was first sold at 1k dollars then it dropped to 699 dollars. Its a higher price range product.
It's usually a good experience because users in here are knowledgeable with their equipment and well-aware of how to preserve and maintain them the right way. Of course, exceptions do exist regardless...

This is exactly what I got listening to P1.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #12,729 of 15,897
However, these are only personal perceptions and everyone hears differently and has different tastes in music. This is why I usually take reviews with a grain of salt until I lsten to something myself.
I almost went for an Aune M1S due to review reading. Luckily the store had a demo unit and I found that I didnt like the warmth. Warm and smooth sounding players usually suffer a bit in instrument separation, micro-detail, and over clarity and cleanness of the sound.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #12,730 of 15,897
The P1 sound is as analogue as you can get. The complete opposite from ''artificial''. I can tell it in certainty because I champion this type of sound.
I bet you love vinyl.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #12,731 of 15,897
I had a Cown D3 myself in the past. Nothing comparable between these 2. Every brand, model, device generation competes with a different rival at a certain point in time.

Totally agree. I prefer a full toned (or musical) sound but open & extra detailed. Basically, a "yummy" analog sound but with hyper dynamics, space & clarity. I love treble detail, but not to the point where the sound gets to cool/digital/analytical.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #12,732 of 15,897
I almost went for an Aune M1S due to review reading. Luckily the store had a demo unit and I found that I didnt like the warmth. Warm and smooth sounding players usually suffer a bit in instrument separation, micro-detail, and over clarity and cleanness of the sound.
I agree but that's not the case with P1. It's also a matter of pairing and how good one's equipment can sound combined.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #12,734 of 15,897
It's also a matter of pairing and how good one's equipment can sound combined.
Hah, my JVC FXH 30 really shined with the Xduoo X10 which had a neutral bright signature. The combo sounded better than gear triple its price.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #12,735 of 15,897
Totally agree. I prefer a full toned (or musical) sound but open & extra detailed. Basically, a "yummy" analog sound but with hyper dynamics, space & clarity. I love treble detail, but not to the point where the sound gets to cool/digital/analytical.
I can't stress it more then that you should look for a used P1 and I'm stopping it here because I'm not affilated with Cowon lol.

At least you can always just look into the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back