Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #12,736 of 15,897
Right now, I'm gassing hard on the Opus #1s. It looks awesome, and seems to have a minimized feature set/navigation UI that I can agree with. A big plus, is the 10 band EQ. I need a good EQ on the DAP so I can sculpt the sound the way I want.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #12,737 of 15,897
Right now, I'm gassing hard on the Opus #1s. It looks awesome, and seems to have a minimized feature set/navigation UI that I can agree with. A big plus, is the 10 band EQ. I need a good EQ on the DAP so I can sculpt the sound the way I want.

Opus #1s has an awesome sound, and the EQ is quite nice, I am using it quite often. This being said, it does not have any of the bells and whistles X5-3 has, no wifi, no BT, no coax, only an offline amazing DAP.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #12,738 of 15,897
I can't stress it more then that you should look for a used P1 and I'm stopping it here because I'm not affilated with Cowon lol.

At least you can always just look into the option.

If the P1 is better sounding at its reduced price compared to the the newer models that are priced new to market, then it looks like it's something I have to consider or pick up, period. Thanks for the heads up on that one. The consensus on the sound, is very coveted.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #12,739 of 15,897
If the P1 is better sounding at its reduced price compared to the the newer models that are priced new to market, then it looks like it's something I have to consider or pick up, period. Thanks for the heads up on that one. The consensus on the sound, is very coveted.
I suggested it because you said you're after an offline DAP and that you care about sound only.
Unfortunately I have no experience with the Opus #1 but it should be a great DAP that one as well.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #12,740 of 15,897
Opus #1s has an awesome sound, and the EQ is quite nice, I am using it quite often. This being said, it does not have any of the bells and whistles X5-3 has, no wifi, no BT, no coax, only an offline amazing DAP.

That's exactly what I want. I consider a DAP a specific luxury item for listening to my personal music collection, only. If I need streaming/BT/Wi-Fi etc, I'll use my smartphone.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #12,741 of 15,897
That's exactly what I want. I consider a DAP a specific luxury item for listening to my personal music collection, only. If I need streaming/BT/Wi-Fi etc, I'll use my smartphone.
Sound is always what I look for first on a Dap. The rest is just a bonus.

I got the N5ii primarily for its revealing and detailed sound. It also has one of the best bass extension of any dap I have tried.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #12,742 of 15,897
Sound is always what I look for first on a Dap. The rest is just a bonus.

I got the N5ii primarily for its revealing and detailed sound. It also has one of the best bass extension of any dap I have tried.

I would lean closer towards the N5ii, but the software appears to be pretty buggy right now. Also, the Opus seems to have a more streamlined and smoother interface. Would you agree with this?

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #12,744 of 15,897
I would lean closer towards the N5ii, but the software appears to be pretty buggy right now. Also, the Opus seems to have a more streamlined and smoother interface. Would you agree with this?
My father has the Opus 1 metal edition("better" opamps) which I have used quite extensively.

If you mean more streamlined as in there is only the music player ui then yes, it's more streamlined. Things are more "in one place".

One very annoying quirk about the Opus 1 however is that the player needs to finish scanning the microsd to be able to play a song. Even in folder browser mode, the Opus 1 will return to the now playing screen when you select a song it has not scanned yet.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #12,745 of 15,897
FiiO X5ii was exactly this, an awesome DAP that just worked amazingly well :)
The Xduoo X10 sounded phenomenal for 130 bucks.......until the sound started to degrade :frowning2:

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #12,746 of 15,897
My father has the Opus 1 metal edition("better" opamps) which I have used quite extensively.

If you mean more streamlined as in there is only the music player ui then yes, it's more streamlined. Things are more "in one place".

One very annoying quirk about the Opus 1 however is that the player needs to finish scanning the microsd to be able to play a song. Even in folder browser mode, the Opus 1 will return to the now playing screen when you select a song it has not scanned yet.

Yes, that is like the one thing I have to mention as a con to it when I review #1s, it is quite noticeable now that I have a library of around 400 GB and it sits for 3-5 minutes on every start, just to scan. I learned to let it scan before I leave my home, but it still is something of an inconvenient in the long run that one needs to take into account.

At any rate, #1s is really sweet to me, especially its driving power, which is UBER strong

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #12,748 of 15,897
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #12,749 of 15,897
Yes, that is like the one thing I have to mention as a con to it when I review #1s, it is quite noticeable now that I have a library of around 400 GB and it sits for 3-5 minutes on every start, just to scan. I learned to let it scan before I leave my home, but it still is something of an inconvenient in the long run that one needs to take into account.

At any rate, #1s is really sweet to me, especially its driving power, which is UBER strong
Haha, then you know how annoying it is to wait for the entire thing to rescan especially when you have a new album you really want to listen to XD

I haven't pushed the output if the Opus 1 to the max yet but the N5ii is sufficiently powerful at high gain to me. It manages to drive the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm to painful loudness at 95+ with high gain.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #12,750 of 15,897

Does the Opus 1 need to rescan the MicroSD card EVERY time you browse on the device? Or does is it good once the files are already scanned just once after you put them on the card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back