Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #12,751 of 15,899
As you know, connecting Fiio via usb to an external DAC, you have the possibility to change the volume of Fiio at your own taste (yes, I know, it shouldn't be so....).
So meanwhile Fiio adjust this strange issue (?), how do you set your Fiio volume ?

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #12,753 of 15,899
Haha, then you know how annoying it is to wait for the entire thing to rescan especially when you have a new album you really want to listen to XD

I haven't pushed the output if the Opus 1 to the max yet but the N5ii is sufficiently powerful at high gain to me. It manages to drive the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm to painful loudness at 95+ with high gain.

I have never reached the max volume of #1s with anything either, not even with Amiron or LCD-MX4!

For N5ii I didn't really reach it either, but I mostly used it with IEMs so far

Does the Opus 1 need to rescan the MicroSD card EVERY time you browse on the device? Or does is it good once the files are already scanned just once after you put them on the card?

It will do that every single time you cold boot it, quite an invoncenient if you're on a rush, but if you learn to start it 5 minutes before you go, you can get rid of that effect

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #12,754 of 15,899
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #12,755 of 15,899
To the guys taking things OT with the Opus and N5ii discussion - either one of their threads might be the better place for it .......

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #12,757 of 15,899
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #12,759 of 15,899
I use my HD600's with a balanced cable and the Turbo boost option. Sounds great. Sounded pretty good before I switched to balanced. More power is usually better but I don't really need it.
I'm also interested in this. While I was not expecting much when first got it, I have completely fallen in love with the x5iii. I' d love to try it either with HD600 or HD650. Does it really drive them with authority?

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #12,760 of 15,899
This review says that it doesn't have enough power for the HD 600, not even close.

https://audioprimate.blog/2017/05/24/fiio-x5iii-the-giant-killer-that-wasnt/amp/

That's crazy. With my X3ii, as long as you don't engage the EQ, there is PLENTY of juice for the 600/650. On most modern music, even at Low Gain volume level 100, its just above comfortable loudness on my 6xx's. (I keep it at or around v96-98) I do like to engage the EQ though, and when I'm rocking out with a modest smiley curve, I have to play it between v105 & max volume (v120) on Low Gain, or put on High Gain. In the case that you like to use EQ, an amp will certainly help. Especially if you are boosting the Bass and Treble quite a bit. However, it is not an absolute necessity. You can get away with not using an external amp, and if you don't use EQ, you won't need one.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #12,761 of 15,899
there's definitely enough, even more so if you're using turbo balanced mode. Turbo mode is fairly new (as of firmware 1.19) so most reviews out there that are older than that won't mention it.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #12,762 of 15,899
there's definitely enough, even more so if you're using turbo balanced mode. Turbo mode is fairly new (as of firmware 1.19) so most reviews out there that are older than that won't mention it.
Yeah, balanced mode not having more power is just plain weird.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #12,763 of 15,899
This review says that it doesn't have enough power for the HD 600, not even close.

https://audioprimate.blog/2017/05/24/fiio-x5iii-the-giant-killer-that-wasnt/amp/

If you read a little further he said he didn't actually try them:

I didn’t try to pair the X5iii with the HD600, as the poor performance with the RHA CL series seems a good predictor of poor performance with the HD600. I don’t recommend trying this for demanding cans without an amp.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #12,765 of 15,899
Just realise that different reviewers have different views on what sounds good. When I tested the X5iii I did it with the HD800S (also 300 ohm)

Here's what I wrote at the time -

{SNIP}
Final test – and this time lets step beyond the likely and try something a lot will consider slightly ridiculous (I don't). The HD800S is 300 ohm and 108 dB/mW. Its my real test as I sometimes like to move around the house with these headphones so for me it is a realistic test. This time 75-80/120 was hitting my ideal listening level with this headphone (again low gain). More importantly, fidelity was really good.

9935011_l.jpg

OK Paul – but how do you know you were getting an acceptable level of fidelity from each earphone? Well that is the simple part. I also have FiiO's A5 headphone amp here. It is quite neutral, and can output 150 mW into a 300 ohm load. I've used it before with the HD800S and it has very much impressed me as a portable device. So once I'd found my ideal listening level with each transducer, I simply used test tones to replicate the same volume with the A5, then switched between the two. None of the combos sounded superior with the A5, except perhaps the HD800S where the bass was very slightly different with the A5 included (and this could have been expectation bias). What I will suggest is that the X5iii's power output is actually pretty decent for most portable loads. Just don't expect to drive really power hungry cans – and if you might be, consider the A5 as a very worthy partner.
{SNIP}

Now I'm possibly a little less picky than Micah - and thats Ok. We test on different things. He's a lot younger than I am too, and I have no doubt his hearing is better. I'm listening to the HD600 as I type (with the X5iii) and the combo sounds pretty good to me - but he's right, the bass seems just a little on the light side compared to what i'm used to - and I suspect that might be a slight lack of power.

Micah also didn't get to test the balanced with Turbo mode because it wasn't enabled by FiiO at the time. I know the HD800S in turbo balanced mode sounds pretty darn good - and have little doubt the HD600 would also.

But I personally think the X5iii sounds pretty good with the HD600 in SE - just perhaps not as good as it can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back