Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #12,782 of 15,897
My only experience with a 3rd party app is UAPP (awesome BTW). Running it on X5iii, It forces me to select to downsample to 16-bit sample audio, otherwise there is no music but awful noise and distortion what I get... Strangely, I don't have to select that option on my i5 despite it being overall slower as a device and running Android 4.2 as opposed to 5.1.

As far as I'm concerned only the newly launched Hiby R6 from all Android DAPs advertises that it's able to play pure High-Res -not downsampled- audio through 3rd party Android apps.

In my tests, UAPP downsamples, poweramp, neutron, and music mode doesn't. I personally just stick with pure music mode nowadays, but I also don't experience any sort of lag, so ymmv.
Do lossless streaming apps get downsampled on the X5iii then?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #12,783 of 15,897
The only reason I use UAPP is to connect to my NAS as not Hiby Music app on my i5 nor Pure Music Mode on X5iii gives me this opportunity unfortunately.
I don't do this, but I think the pure music mode does have support for DLNA if I recall correctly although I don't know how it performs.

I think neutron has support for it too

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #12,784 of 15,897
Do lossless streaming apps get downsampled on the X5iii then?
that's a good question, I don't really stream so I can't comment on that. Do streaming apps even tell you if they're resampling? hmm

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #12,786 of 15,897
I don't do this, but I think the pure music mode does have support for DLNA if I recall correctly although I don't know how it performs.

I think neutron has support for it too
For the life of me I haven't got to connect to my NAS whatever I tried. It seems it lacks samba protocol support. I also can't connect through Hiby Music (on both i5 and X5iii). My only way is UAPP.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #12,787 of 15,897
I'd love to use Neutron or UAPP, but neither app supports the functionality I need.
It was to my understanding that the FiiO also had system wide support to avoid downsampling across 3rd party apps.
I was just going to get the HibyR6, but I was told it wouldn't work well with IEMs and I would be using IEMs a lot with it as well as full size headphones.

Well if you wouldn't mind testing MediaMonkey playback as well and letting me know what you find that'd be much appreciated.

Ya, as I reread the Amazon page and everything about it, I'm not really sure how Android works with streaming apps either.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #12,788 of 15,897
For the life of me I haven't got to connect to my NAS whatever I tried. It seems it lacks samba protocol support. I also can't connect through Hiby Music (on both i5 and X5iii). My only way is UAPP.
This is like streaming from your home hard drive rack to your DAP right? I can't say much about the i5 but since it uses a similar software with the N5ii it should work. My N5ii works flawlessly using LAN mode.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #12,789 of 15,897
I'd love to use Neutron or UAPP, but neither app supports the functionality I need.
It was to my understanding that the FiiO also had system wide support to avoid downsampling across 3rd party apps.
I was just going to get the HibyR6, but I was told it wouldn't work well with IEMs and I would be using IEMs a lot with it as well as full size headphones.

Well if you wouldn't mind testing MediaMonkey playback as well and letting me know what you find that'd be much appreciated.

Ya, as I reread the Amazon page and everything about it, I'm not really sure how Android works with streaming apps either.

I would have pledged for the R6 if it hadn't incorporated those Sabre chips which to my experience living with DX90 are airy but cold sounding. DX90 is the reason I sold my ER4S and have painfully regretted it ever since...

The R6 bares 2 ESS ES9028Q2M while the DX90 carried the previous generation ES9018K2M (one of those uses the N5ii). Nevertheless, it should be more or less the same tonal character. I'm well aware that the DAC chip is only one link in the chain of the sound signature of any given device but heck, I have been very satisfied with the performance of the AK chips of both X5iii and i5.

If you're talking about ''ape''s I'm more than sure I have played a few of those on my X5iii no problem but I can check and get back to you.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #12,790 of 15,897
This is like streaming from your home hard drive rack to your DAP right? I can't say much about the i5 but since it uses a similar software with the N5ii it should work. My N5ii works flawlessly using LAN mode.
Yes it's the same UI, Hiby music on both devices. However, I haven't got to connect to my NAS no matter what. It scans and finds all network servers available as normal, but when I pick my WD NAS it never prompts me to enter credentials.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #12,791 of 15,897
I would have pledged for the R6 if it hadn't incorporated those Sabre chips which to my experience living with DX90 are airy but cold sounding. DX90 is the reason I sold my ER4S and have painfully regretted it ever since...

The R6 bares 2 ESS ES9028Q2M while the DX90 carried the previous generation ES9018K2M (one of those uses the N5ii). Nevertheless, it should be more or less the same tonal character. I'm well aware that the DAC chip is only one link in the chain of the sound signature of any given device but heck, I have been very satisfied with the performance of the AK chips of both X5iii and i5.

If you're talking about ''ape''s I'm more than sure I have played a few of those on my X5iii no problem but I can check and get back to you.
I have tried the DX90 before but didn't get it as my budget wasn't much back then(was using a X1). The N5ii doesn't have the typical coldness of sabre chips tho. Cayin seems to have built the entire player around the chip to suppress its coldness but still retain its superb detail.

The X5iii seems to be held back quite significantly by its amp section. It sounds so much better using line out.

I have the Xduoo X10 which uses an AK4490 and I can say it sounds nothing like the X5iii. The X10 is almost reference neutral while the X5iii sounds really warm in comparison.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #12,792 of 15,897
Yes it's the same UI, Hiby music on both devices. However, I haven't got to connect to my NAS no matter what. It scans and finds all network servers available as normal, but when I pick my WD NAS it never prompts me to enter credentials.
Maybe ask around the i5 thread. Cayin has superb customer service. Joe Bloggs level stuff :)

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #12,795 of 15,897
Pure music Mode question/glitch:
When listing .38 Special correctly, does anyone else have the file not show up? I am 99.9% certain it is because of the . at the front.
I currently have the ''Strength in Numbers'' album of theirs in one of the SDs but without the ''.'' in the front of the artist's name.
It shows it no problem.

Thumbs up for the music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back