Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 11, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #12,661 of 15,897
As I see, you own the HD6XX. Can you please tell me how do these perform with X5iii? (either balanced or unbalanced) :)
Oddly enough, I have never actually plugged the HD6xx headphones into the X5iii. To tell you the truth, I am not all that impressed with the HD6xx. I do know it takes a lot more power from my Mojo to drive them. I much prefer listening to my PSB M4U2 headphones. With the X5iii I only use my Shure S846 IEMs. I am never tempted to use anything else. I suppose I could try it. :wink:

Update: Listening to them now. Gain set to high, volume currently at 84. Sounds a little thick and smooth. It's making my tinnitus squeal, I am eager to stop. I guess it sounds okay, it does not sound effortless like it does with my 846s.

I switched to the M4U2s and dropped the volume down to 58. Effortless is back, there is a bit more life to the sound, but It really feels closed in. Hmmmm. I much prefer the Shures.

I actually bought two pair of HD6xx headphones last fall, one pair I never opened. I should probably sell those. They are nice enough headphones, they are smooth and very comfy. They just don't compete with what I already own.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #12,662 of 15,897
Oddly enough, I have never actually plugged the HD6xx headphones into the X5iii. To tell you the truth, I am not all that impressed with the HD6xx. I do know it takes a lot more power from my Mojo to drive them. I much prefer listening to my PSB M4U2 headphones. With the X5iii I only use my Shure S846 IEMs. I am never tempted to use anything else. I suppose I could try it. :wink:
Thanks for the input. I appreciate the honesty.

I have started to love my X5iii. I think I tend to prefer it over the i5, being ever so slightly more natural sounding. That said, I thought about complimenting it with something like the HD650/HD6XX as with new balanced output levels of the new firmware, they should make a pretty good match.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #12,663 of 15,897

I have started to love my X5iii. I think I tend to prefer it over the i5, being ever so slightly more natural sounding. That said, I thought about complimenting it with something like the HD650/HD6XX as with new balanced output levels of the new firmware, they should make a pretty good match.
I've used the balanced ourput with my TH-X00s which aren't terribly hard to drive and I push it up there on high gain. I don't think you'll be getting the most out the HD6 series with it. Unbalanced with an A5 monkey strapped to it's back would be better.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #12,664 of 15,897
I've used the balanced ourput with my TH-X00s which aren't terribly hard to drive and I push it up there on high gain. I don't think you'll be getting the most out the HD6 series with it. Unbalanced with an A5 monkey strapped to it's back would be better.

That's pretty surpising at just 25Ω and 94db sensitivity.... Thanks!

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #12,665 of 15,897
That's pretty surpising at just 25Ω and 94db sensitivity.... Thanks!
Yeah Sennheisers are tricky because they have a wonky impedance curve. Once you get to the lower frequencies they tend to act like 600ohm cans and get real light in the loafers and loose that warm lush tone in favor of a wispy hollow bore. Those cans are amp dependent.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #12,666 of 15,897

You are most welcome. I can see why some are taken with the HD6xx. I wish I was. I still use them, something I can't say about my Monoprice Monolith M1060. I am guessing you will want the A5 amp to drive these in such a way that the sound becomes effortless. They need some power, the X5iii has it, but more would be better I am thinking.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #12,667 of 15,897
Yeah Sennheisers are tricky because they have a wonky impedance curve. Once you get to the lower frequencies they tend to act like 600ohm cans and get real light in the loafers and loose that warm lush tone in favor of a wispy hollow bore. Those cans are amp dependent.
I see.
I just tried my DT 770 (250Ω) on high gain and it drives them decently with just over 50% volume. So I guess it's the unique nature of the Senns you describe and never tried myself. Thanks

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #12,668 of 15,897
It makes sense. The A5 is not a paticularly pricey investment so if I finally opt for the Senns I might have to give that one a go too. I regret selling the Cayin C5. It was a great amp that one.

You are most welcome. I can see why some are taken with the HD6xx. I wish I was. I still use them, something I can't say about my Monoprice Monolith M1060. I am guessing you will want the A5 amp to drive these in such a way that the sound becomes effortless. They need some power, the X5iii has it, but more would be better I am thinking.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #12,669 of 15,897
I see.
I just tried my DT 770 (250Ω) on high gain and it drives them decently with just over 50% volume. So I guess it's the unique nature of the Senns you describe and never tried myself. Thanks
Exactly. I had the same Beyers and they hit some semi-decent bass off of my Moto X Pure; but pushing a Sennheiser HD6 to it's full glory requires quite a bit of headroom.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #12,670 of 15,897
@FiiO

Copy of
Message sent to:
Fiio Support
support@fiio.net

My X5 3rd Gen is not playing music properly.
The players volume is surging up and down as the music plays.
The surging is not extreme but it is quite noticeable as the device warms up.
The device just started doing this in the past month or so.

Things I have done to try to eliminate the problem:
  1. I did a factory reset of the device
  2. I made sure the device was in Pure Music Mode
  3. I checked for latest firmware (1.2.0)
  4. I checked for latest Fiio Music (v3.4.1)
  5. I checked and the surging occurs on both SD cards
  6. These are the same music files I have always used
  7. My X5 has never been dropped or damaged in any way
Please advise.
Do I need to send my device back to the factory for repair?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #12,671 of 15,897

Exactly. I had the same Beyers and they hit some semi-decent bass off of my Moto X Pure; but pushing a Sennheiser HD6 to it's full glory requires quite a bit of headroom.

The HD650/HD6XX should really be paired with a tube amp (hybrid/OTL) to start to get the most out of them but there are a few SS amps like the Jot that for some its a great pairing since the Jot is slightly on the bright side and the HD650 is a little too warm. Also, don't make the assumption that all tube amps are warm, some like the Valhalla2 are neutral/dry with the stock tubes and I can change the character of my BH Crack from warm to neutral to slightly bright with the right combination of driver and power tubes.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #12,672 of 15,897
@FiiO

Copy of
Message sent to:
Fiio Support
support@fiio.net

Please advise.
I may be having a similar issue. This happened when I had the X5.3 docked in the K5. I had balanced out to my Jotunheim and after a while like clockwork music would stop, the countdown to turn off on the X5 display began for a few seconds, then stopped....but the playback had completely stopped abruptly which my headphones greatly enjoyed. I purchased a linear power supply to see it that'll help rather than buy a completely new balanced DAC.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #12,673 of 15,897
@FiiO

Copy of
Message sent to:
Fiio Support
support@fiio.net

7. My X5 has never been dropped or damaged in any way
Please advise.
Dear friend,

Have you tried testing it with another pair of headphones?

And could you check if the displayed volume level will also change?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #12,674 of 15,897
@FiiO

It appears that Fiio Support is shut down for the Chinese New Year

Sent to support@fiio.net Feb 13, 2018

I have sent 4 emails outlining the symptoms of my device.
It is obvious that my Fiio x5III is struggling, (and invariably failing), to keep up with the music being played!

Check this, check that, “try to contact your seller for help”, check the forums, etc.
Amazon’s Universally stated policy is to not accept returns or refunds on purchases after 30 days – so why would they get involved with a device that needs repairs beyond their policy?

It appears that FIIO is giving me the royal run-around.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #12,675 of 15,897
@FiiO

It appears that Fiio Support is shut down for the Chinese New Year

Sent to support@fiio.net Feb 13, 2018

I have sent 4 emails outlining the symptoms of my device.
It is obvious that my Fiio x5III is struggling, (and invariably failing), to keep up with the music being played!

Check this, check that, “try to contact your seller for help”, check the forums, etc.
Amazon’s Universally stated policy is to not accept returns or refunds on purchases after 30 days – so why would they get involved with a device that needs repairs beyond their policy?

It appears that FIIO is giving me the royal run-around.
Do you have these issues if the X5 is plugged in to a power source while playing? Just thinking of battery failure perhaps?

I hate to say it but once out of warranty you have to almost treat these Chinese devices as expendables. Next time I buy on Amazon I'll take the insurance, so I can just get the money back if it fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back