Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 8, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #12,616 of 15,899
Hey guys,

Given all the issues with the Ui and firmware updates, if you had the option to purchase another DAC for the second price, which would you choose. Just curious as I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Fiio or not?

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #12,617 of 15,899
Hey guys,

Given all the issues with the Ui and firmware updates, if you had the option to purchase another DAC for the second price, which would you choose. Just curious as I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Fiio or not?

thought i would chime in because i have posted here with questions about issues and glitches that i have had. I love this player and would buy again. I use it in the car with line out, I use it as a portable with several headphones, and i use it with a fiio DK1 dock station to a schiit asquard amp. Mostly pure music mode and folder browsing, but often offline downloaded songs from streaming services. this thing is powerful and I have 0 complaints about sound quality. If i want a different sound i use different headphones. For me great little DAP

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #12,619 of 15,899
Bought the Fiio A5 amp for my HD600's last year and it didn't do much for me so I returned it.
Just bought the K5 desktop amp and the sound is awesome, except for the unit is defective and flashes on and off sometimes. Also you can't leave the silicone case on.

I like the portability of the A5 and the power of the K5.

So the question is what other options are people using to drive the power hungry headphones? Or am I better off just buying different headphones. I have AKG702's and they are nothing like the HD600s and I only use them when exercising as I really don't like them enough for dedicated listening.
have you tried the balanced turbo mode with the HD 600? It should be enough to drive it decently given the significant power increase. I personally run the X5 naked with the Fiio K5 for power hungry headphones. If you want power and portability though, you can take a look at the ifi micro idsd black label.

Hey guys,

aside from the initial minor issue I brought up, I haven't had any issues/crashes/lags/etc with it and I've been running it at least 5 hours a day every day for the past week or so. It sounds great, looks beautiful, the volume roller is nice and tactile, and the screen is good for DAP purposes. IMO, if you are looking for a DAP that runs on the versatile Android platform, you'd be hard pressed to find something that will beat the X5 and its giant feature list for the money. However, if you are looking for an Android device that also doubles as a DAP, you'd best look elsewhere (probably LG v20/v30 or the Hiby R6) as I'm sure this DAP would take a considerable performance hit if you start installing intensive apps like facebook messenger, games, or videos on it.

I just got an X5iii and can't find the setting for balanced turbo mode. Strangely, It seems I'm running the latest 1.2.0 (build number).
Is the X5 capable of drivng the HD650's? I'm seriously considering getting those if that's the case.
It's in audio settings. You have to have high gain enabled. I think with the increased output power on balanced turbo mode, you can drive the HD 650 decently well (Fiio rates it at > 90 mW @ 300 ohm). Obviously you'd need to get balanced cables to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #12,621 of 15,899
aside from the initial minor issue I brought up, I haven't had any issues/crashes/lags/etc with it and I've been running it at least 5 hours a day every day for the past week or so. It sounds great, looks beautiful, the volume roller is nice and tactile, and the screen is good for DAP purposes. IMO, if you are looking for a DAP that runs on the versatile Android platform, you'd be hard pressed to find something that will beat the X5 and its giant feature list for the money. However, if you are looking for an Android device that also doubles as a DAP, you'd best look elsewhere (probably LG v20/v30 or the Hiby R6) as I'm sure this DAP would take a considerable performance hit if you start installing intensive apps like facebook messenger, games, or videos on it.

What is the difference between R6 and X5?i get that LG v20 is a phone first and idk for sure but i feel like the DAC/Amp sections won't be NEARLY as good as the ones in X5 but what about R6?

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #12,623 of 15,899
What is the difference between R6 and X5?i get that LG v20 is a phone first and idk for sure but i feel like the DAC/Amp sections won't be NEARLY as good as the ones in X5 but what about R6?
The R6 has better hardware specs on the android/performance side (it is basically mid-range phone specs running a Snapdragon 425 Processor with 3GB RAM).

On the other hand, it's running Sabre DACs vs the AKM DACs on the X5, is substantially more expensive, and isn't actually out on the market yet (it's available for pre-order via indiegogo and will get more expensive IIRC once it is actually released).

Personally, a lot of my headphones are on the brighter side already so most Sabre DACs tend to bring it to sibilant/piercing levels so I much prefer the AKM DACs. That said, if you want something that performs more like a phone but with the great sound quality of a DAP and are willing to pay more and wait for it, the R6 is a good contender. Of course, we'll have to see when it's actually out how it actually fares as you know firmware makes a big difference also in terms of operation and stability.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #12,624 of 15,899
Has anyone got the latest fiio x5 III firmware as fiios website seems to be down or having issues
thank you

I'm hoping it's ok that i do this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HiBV20kODa7Sxc02fD1PjB9rnxYwHC5_/view?usp=sharing

The R6 has better hardware specs on the android/performance side (it is basically mid-range phone specs running a Snapdragon 425 Processor with 3GB RAM).

On the other hand, it's running Sabre DACs vs the AKM DACs on the X5, is substantially more expensive, and isn't actually out on the market yet (it's available for pre-order via indiegogo and will get more expensive IIRC once it is actually released).

Personally, a lot of my headphones are on the brighter side already so most Sabre DACs tend to bring it to sibilant/piercing levels so I much prefer the AKM DACs. That said, if you want something that performs more like a phone but with the great sound quality of a DAP and are willing to pay more and wait for it, the R6 is a good contender. Of course, we'll have to see when it's actually out how it actually fares as you know firmware makes a big difference also in terms of operation and stability.

ooh ok thanks. Make sense, good to know i made the right decision then. I didn't know that about the DACs that Fiio is using, thats cool. And the R6 is out yet already though right?

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #12,625 of 15,899
I'd personally steer clear from any crowdfunding product. I've had 4 out 4 disasters so far over at Indiegogo and Kickstarter. They might not be audio equipment, however, I think at the end of the day one is safer with brands and products that have actually hit the market.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #12,627 of 15,899
I'd personally steer clear from any crowdfunding product. I've had 4 out 4 disasters so far over at Indiegogo and Kickstarter. They might not be audio equipment, however, I think at the end of the day one is safer with brands and products that have actually hit the market.
Yea, fair point. I was under the impression that it's hit the market already?! has it not?

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #12,628 of 15,899
ooh ok thanks. Make sense, good to know i made the right decision then. I didn't know that about the DACs that Fiio is using, thats cool. And the R6 is out yet already though right?
When I look at their indiegogo page, it says

Estimated delivery
March 2018

I couldn't find any online stores that have it up for sale yet either so I don't think it's out. However, I think some reviewers have gotten a sample/pre-prod from Hiby to review. The indiegogo page also says it's still in "prototype stage" so it doesn't seem to be out. It could just be outdated though.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #12,629 of 15,899
Yea, fair point. I was under the impression that it's hit the market already?! has it not?

No it hasn't.
One can say that Hiby is an already well established company though. They even created the software that runs on my Cayin i5 (pretty good, that one). However, the R6 is not officially released which means that only review units have gotten out to ''reviewers''. I'd personally take such reviews with a grain of salt until the actual product comes out and everyday people get their hands on it. On top of that, even if hypothetically the the R6 is a good DAP, it will need some serious time to build up a community like,say, the X5iii has already done.

I don't know but I am quite reserved with the crowdfunding thing. Experience taught me.I backed Pine64, Yocam, Nexdock and Flare Audio Pros. The first 3 were a big disappointment while the Flare Pros a rather overpiced and overhyped iem.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,630 of 15,899
It hasn't hit the retail market yet but multiple headfiers have received their aluminum R6s but there aren't many sonic impressions yet, stainless steel units won't ship until march. I'm looking at the X5iii the cayin n5ii and r6 to possibly replace my X3ii so i can use spotify offline and try a balanced output . I would like to have the speed and os smoothness that the hiby r6 should have with it's faster processor and 3gb of ram but I have a note 4 for app and video playback duties on the go so I just need my next DAP to sound great and be able to play spotify offline without hiccups. Can any of you who have owned and liked the sound of the X3ii share your thoughts on how the X5iii sounds in comparison and on how the X5iii experience is after all of its firmware updates compared to the earlier reviews that mentioned bugs and such. thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back