Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Nov 25, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #12,106 of 15,897
I haven't seen a way to format them from the Android storage menu. Anyone know how? If you go to the storage menu in the Fiio, the only options that are there are "unmount" and "erase." There is not option for formatting. So the only way I could format them would be by using my computer to do it.

I googled it and everything I've read says that you don't have to format micro-SD cards in android. If the problem persists, though, I guess I'll try to format them in my computer and see what happens.
Somewhere way back in this thread, I'm pretty sure Fiio were recommending NTFS format (via pc) for other size cards so I'd try that. It's how I use my 200gb cards in my x5iii.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #12,107 of 15,897
OK, I'll try that. However, it works perfectly with an external music app like Neutron. It's only the Fiio Music App that starts to stutter when I'm playing music and generally crashes constantly. So it's not at all a hardware issue. The 400gb Sd works perfectly with android, it's only Fiio's s$%t software that can't handle it.

Another great case in point, Neutron was able to load my 25,000 song collection into its database in 5 minutes. The Fiio music app will do it, but it will lock up for an hour while it does it.

So I might just start to use a 3rd party app, although it sucks as I will miss pure music mode for the battery life.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #12,108 of 15,897
OK, I'll try that. However, it works perfectly with an external music app like Neutron. It's only the Fiio Music App that starts to stutter when I'm playing music and generally crashes constantly. So it's not at all a hardware issue. The 400gb Sd works perfectly with android, it's only Fiio's s$%t software that can't handle it.

Another great case in point, Neutron was able to load my 25,000 song collection into its database in 5 minutes. The Fiio music app will do it, but it will lock up for an hour while it does it.

So I might just start to use a 3rd party app, although it sucks as I will miss pure music mode for the battery life.

I wonder what the consensus is regarding 'best' (no glitches & plenty of useful features like good EQ, playlist functionality, gapless, replaygain, etc.) 3rd party music player for the Fiio DAP's. Is it Neutron or Poweramp or XXXXXX? Not sure which, if any, still down sample to 44.1KHz? I think VLC may be the consensus for music video?

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #12,109 of 15,897
I wonder what the consensus is regarding 'best' (no glitches & plenty of useful features like good EQ, playlist functionality, gapless, replaygain, etc.) 3rd party music player for the Fiio DAP's. Is it Neutron or Poweramp or XXXXXX? Not sure which, if any, still down sample to 44.1KHz? I think VLC may be the consensus for music video?

They all work similarly, so it comes down to personal preference. I like Media Monkey mainly because I use Media Monkey on my desktop to organize music and its android app has a really convenient sync feature where you can just plug your Fiio in and it will auto sync it to your desk top. You can also sync wirelessly, but I've never tried it so I don't know how well it works. The only thing that sucks about its android app is that it's a bit simple and barebones, so you will have to put up with some annoyances (like artist albums sorting alphabetically, with no way to sort by year.....which is one of those small things that infuriates me).

As to my 400gb card, though, it suddenly started working. I don't know what happened (all I did was load Media Monkey and sync it...I didn't format the card or anything), but now the Fiio music app suddenly works with my 400GB + 256GB SD cards. I was able to play it for over an hour with no crashing. Hopefully it will continue to work.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #12,110 of 15,897
Well, consider me way behind the curve. I have had this player since Spring and just now downloaded the Neutron app, Damn, nice level of customization. Decent interface, just takes some getting used to. Can't believe I waited so long to try it out...

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #12,111 of 15,897
Hey guys,

1) when using viper's eq is it advisable to lower the freqs i perceive are exagerated like in any other eq or can i simply increase the levels of the subdued ones?

2) Will the effect be the same when increasing the subdued ones and decreasing the overall output gain?

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #12,112 of 15,897
I didn't format my 256gb SD at all and it worked fine. This seems to only be an issue with the 400.

Maybe it will work with a format.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #12,113 of 15,897
Just got a K5 amp to go with my X5.3; $75 well spent. But after a song or two when docked into the amp the sound begins to distort. I've seen other complaints of the same nature on other threads but no solutions to the problem. Does anyone here know how to fix this issue or am I stuck just using the line-out? Thanks in advance.

I'm using the X5.3 as a source. Tidal streaming and downloaded as well as personal files on pure music mode. Im using Fostex X00, Mayflower V1, and Sony MDR-1A. It seems to be focused on the right channel, I've been tinkering and it seems to happening with less frequency but an annoyance nonetheless. I be just been turning the amp off for a few seconds and back on again and that fixed it temporarily...I'm just going to wipe and reset my X5 again and hope for the best I guess.
Hi,

Would the issue happen in pure music mode when using the lineout of the X5III as well? If not, it may be an issue with the K5. Reseting your X5III help or not?
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 27, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #12,114 of 15,897
I'm really getting fed up with that player, so many things not working properly. If I only wanted to play music offline I would have bought a non android player.... Anything else beside offline music isn't working properly, with either skipping or distortion or plain incompatibilities with many music app... Anyone wants to buy my x5iii on the cheap?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #12,115 of 15,897
I'm really getting fed up with that player, so many things not working properly. If I only wanted to play music offline I would have bought a non android player.... Anything else beside offline music isn't working properly, with either skipping or distortion or plain incompatibilities with many music app... Anyone wants to buy my x5iii on the cheap?
How cheap?

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #12,116 of 15,897
I like mine, I could like yours too if the price is right. Dump it cheap and I'll bite.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #12,118 of 15,897
Guys don't fight you can have mine if you want :wink:

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #12,119 of 15,897
Hi,

Would the issue happen in pure music mode when using the lineout of the X5III as well? If not, it may be an issue with the K5. Reseting your X5III help or not?
Best regards

The reset of the X5.3 fixed the distortion I was getting and pure music mode works like a charm. It seems my main culprit is the Tidal app. I haven't done an extensive investigation but I downloaded the Sennheiser captune app I previously used with my phone and it seems to be running much smoother streaming Tidal than the main Tidal app. Next I will try USB audio player pro. I've also dug into the Android developer options and limited the allowed background process limit for peace of mind.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #12,120 of 15,897
Somewhere way back in this thread, I'm pretty sure Fiio were recommending NTFS format (via pc) for other size cards so I'd try that. It's how I use my 200gb cards in my x5iii.

And are you stutter free using the FIIO player in both android and pure modes? I've just become accustomed to the player needing a good 10 minutes to warm up (so to speak) and regular rescans in order to play with occasional hiccups. I've got one 256 and another 128 gig card, neither which are filled to capacity, FAT32 as per being formatted in the device. Would NTFS smooth things out?

And just generally, I love my X5III just as I loved the two the came before it but I'm admittedly in the market for a device that just works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back