Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #12,136 of 15,897
There's a reason for everything.

1) I installed Facebook Lite in order to log in with Spotify. I then realized it's not necessary to have it running. Still - I can't believe this unit can't run Spotify and FB Lite.

2) I took it out of the box, didn't even install an SD Card. My unit is slow OOB. With only Spotify loaded. No music. No nothing. Nada. I even reinitialized it. No luck.

I'm selling it as soon as I can, and getting an LG V20 instead, I guess. My old V10 was amazing in its SQ, it beat the pants off every DAP I tested. I can imagine the V20 will be even better.

Oh, I see :frowning2: I still think your unit is malfunctioning... can't be that bad on a proper one. I also installed Google Play Music and it is indeed slower that on my HTC 10, but perfectly usable. I'll try Spotify and Tidal.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #12,138 of 15,897
Tried this app, didn't work at all.
That's bad... So standalone EQ apps don't work system-wide on X5? One more reason why Viper Effects should be at system level and not inside Fiio music.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #12,139 of 15,897
Still on latest firmware, afaik.

I'm playing a track off of internal storage and if I hit pause on the lock screen the track immediately restarts and does not pause. It requires another press to pause. But it's just paused at the beginning of the track. I have play/pause hardware button disabled on lock screen / screen off.

Does anyone else have this issue?

*EDIT*
After finally fixing my album art / ID3 tag woes (with a macOS app Kid3) this is but one of the last thorns in my X5iii experience.

Well, almost...
I have two albums titled 'San Francisco' each under separate artists, one Artist 'Bobby Hutcherson' & the other 'K Theory'. Each album only consists of one song. If I'm in the artist view and scroll to Bobby Hutcherson I see the correct album art for the song further down that path. I click on that artist and see the album within it, but the art then switches to that from 'K Theory' - 'San Francisco'. I click on that album to see the song within it and I then see the proper album art for the sole track on that album.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #12,140 of 15,897
Artist Level
Screenshot_2017-11-29-16-37-14.png

Album Level
Screenshot_2017-11-29-16-37-18.png

Song Level
Screenshot_2017-11-29-16-37-22.png

Is there any way to rectify this?

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #12,141 of 15,897
Since it is one album, the simple method would be to change the name San_Francisco on one of them. The programming on most of these devices isn't checking to see if you have the same named album and then drilling down to the next level to see who the artist is.

Sloppy programmers yield sloppy results.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #12,142 of 15,897
Since it is one album, the simple method would be to change the name San_Francisco on one of them. The programming on most of these devices isn't checking to see if you have the same named album and then drilling down to the next level to see who the artist is.

Sloppy programmers yield sloppy results.

I'll give that a whirl. Would you suggest adding this "_" in the naming of folders on my storage or in the id3 tags?

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #12,143 of 15,897
Oh, I see :frowning2: I still think your unit is malfunctioning... can't be that bad on a proper one. I also installed Google Play Music and it is indeed slower that on my HTC 10, but perfectly usable. I'll try Spotify and Tidal.
I'd be very interested in your results. I'll load some FLACs on my unit and check the performance of Fiio Music today. I don't want to take a hit on selling my DAP brand new at a lower price.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #12,144 of 15,897
There's a reason for everything.

1) I installed Facebook Lite in order to log in with Spotify. I then realized it's not necessary to have it running. Still - I can't believe this unit can't run Spotify and FB Lite.

2) I took it out of the box, didn't even install an SD Card. My unit is slow OOB. With only Spotify loaded. No music. No nothing. Nada. I even reinitialized it. No luck.

I'm selling it as soon as I can, and getting an LG V20 instead, I guess. My old V10 was amazing in its SQ, it beat the pants off every DAP I tested. I can imagine the V20 will be even better.
I wonder what FW you are on.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #12,145 of 15,897
65mbps is twice the speed I get. My wired PC and my wifi connected laptop get 115-120mbps, yet Fiio is 30mbps. I don't really use the wifi much but it sucks worse than yours. So don't feel bad!!! lol

I only get 65 mbps when I'm right next to the router, but most of the time it varies between 1 and mid 50's mbps. The max rate of my X5 with my 300-n router is 65 mbps. You can google "stuck at 65 mbps" where people complain about their various wireless clients stuck at that speed with their, usually, 300-n routers. My 300-n desktop PC's will generally connect with the router between 216 and 300 mbps, older Lenovo Thinkpad AGN (w/antenna in the laptop lid) has a max of 130 (and usually connects below that) and the before-mentioned tablet gets 150 mbps as its max connection.

If you're standing right at your wireless router not streaming anything do you know what speed your X5 is getting? That's usually the indicator of the maximum wireless connection speed. I would bet that the X5 3rd gen has a max speed of 65mbps but I'm not 100% sure. I guess it's adequate as it will stream Tidal hifi OK with some occasional buffering but I had high hopes that because it was 2017 tech that it would stream at least with a max of 150 mbps if not 300. It's probably tough engineering-wise to stuff so much into such a small form factor at the price it retails for and it does seem adequate I guess but just barely.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #12,147 of 15,897

I did a complete reset again, and it's working a bit better. I didn't install Spotify this time.
Why dont you give the latest FW a try. Im not saying the difference will be night and day however there are good improvements to the FW.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #12,149 of 15,897
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #12,150 of 15,897
I'm starting to think my X5 is defective. Sometimes, it stops registering touch inputs. Sometimes, it just stops responding. Sometimes I have to turn it off. It's an absolute pain to use. I bought it on eBay. Perhaps the seller knew it was broken.

I'm updating to 1.1.8, but I'm slowly starting to believe I just bought a very expensive paperweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back