Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 21, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7,951 of 15,899
Ok, so I figured... maybe I misheard something and the V20 is better than what I thought it was...and all these V20 users jumping in here to say how they've found Nirvana with the V20 (and how the issues with the downsampling and funky drivers...and 3rd party music support issues aren't happening over on the V20 thread).

I just played a bit of Diana Krall through the V20 again using my Venture Electronics Zen 2.0 earbuds (love those things).

The V20, in High Gain mode... sounds nice. Very airy... but somewhat artificially so (maybe I have an EQ setting on somewhere). I thought it was Great sounding. I then popped in my Zen into the X5iii. Nope. The X5iii sounded better in both the SE and especially in Balanced. My V20 will go back to duty as my phone, and I'll use it when I don't have other audio devices available. If you like the V20 signature, then more power to you. I'm happy to use mine as a phone.
The V20 though, is the best sounding phone that I've ever heard IMHO.

I have to say, it's not about nice sound, energetic sound, interesting fancy sound, it's about accuracy. IMO FiiO has matured, they are quietly going about their business designing audiophile daps, which many untrained ears won't appreciate.

How do I know that the FiiO X5 III is pro-grade? I have some songs that I'm extremely familiar with, my favorites for 20 years, so I know them inside&out, music that is particular in the signatures. The X5 III is the first DAP ever to pass the test on all of them, I'm talking esoteric frequencies in these songs that are highly volatile if not recreated properly, believe me, and the X5 III nailed it across all of them. There is a delicate coherency in these songs which Won't quite sit right if something isn't right in the tuning of a DAC, and most DAPs (even the AK380s of this world) can't handle it, whereas the X5 III is the first DAP to nail it on every aspect of fine gradations and characteristics within these songs, not only the song as a whole, but also the lesser known balance of the frequencies delicately interlinked, and the inherent topology of the cascading nuances.

Take it from me, I can confidently say that the X5 III is the best music player for 'audiophile' playback.

Other players (whether a laptop or high end DAP) insist on their own quirky presentation of one sort or another, but the X5 becomes invisible (the true job of any DAC) while also dishing out the exact combination of PRAT required to 'properly' reproduce the song. I'm not interested in a DAC signature. I'm interested in neutrality, and FiiO has done it with the X5 III. I'm adamant. Anyone claiming it's treble is soft or smooth needs to get new ears and new headphones. IMO the X5 is ACCURATE, adds nothing, takes nothing away, all with superb dynamics.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #7,954 of 15,899
​ Mfolks are kinda lost, have questionable hearing and use terms to describe things cuz that's what others used (parroting). I made the mistake of using that term lightly and others soon followed. I was one of the first vids on YT and my thoughts on how impressive it is has not changed. Still my go to DAP.  Love it.

This device and how it is viewed pretty much confirmed who is who and what is what around here for me.

I just know the X5iii sounds pretty darn good to my ears, warmer and nicer than my X3ii, my iPhone, my Classic, HTC one, etc, etc... I just trust my ears, not jiberish (no offense to anyone). Just comparing to a phone, to me, it is a no no, they are not in the same league.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #7,955 of 15,899
I just know the X5iii sounds pretty darn good to my ears, warmer and nicer than my X3ii, my iPhone, my Classic, HTC one, etc, etc... I just trust my ears, not jiberish (no offense to anyone). Just comparing to a phone, to me, it is a no no, they are not in the same league.
Trust your ears dont listen to your Monkey Brain.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7,956 of 15,899
I do consider this dap to be on the warmer side of neutral. I find that many sources are close to each other in tonality so small differences can make it warm or bright. I haven't been in this thread long enough to know what terms or words was used to describe things in the beginning.

Your headphones must be warm, because I know for a fact that the X5 III is neutral. It's irresponsible to call a DAP warm when it isn't, you're misleading potential buyers. Sorry, but I'm tired of hearing people call it warm, because it's not.

The built in amp might be ever so slghtly warm (maybe) but the line-out is not warm, it's completely neutral IMO.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #7,957 of 15,899
Your headphones must be warm, because I no for a fact that the X5 III is neutral. It's irresponsible to call a DAP warm when it isn't, you're misleading potential buyers. Sorry, but I'm tired of hearing people call it warm, because it's not.

That is your opinion and not a fact. You hear things differently than I do and my earphones are not warm.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #7,958 of 15,899
That is your opinion and not a fact. You hear things differently than I do and my earphones are not warm.
Ha 90% in this forum are not facts.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #7,961 of 15,899

I'm extremely sensitive to warm sounding DAPs or headphones, I can't tolerate artificial warmth from any hi-fi source, even a tiny bit. The X5 III IS NOT WARM, if it was I wouldn't have purchased it, believe me, no way in hell would I spend so much money if it had even a hint of warmth. I expect my songs to be reproduced neutral, I can't tolerate any DAC or DAP embellishing my songs. Use the line-out into a FiiO A5 and it is neutral, exactly how it should be.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #7,962 of 15,899
Well, I do not know if I should take this as an insult, but I will move on. I do not have a Monkey brain, however, when I listen to music I am certainly not using my brain.
Just a Motto I go by. Not directed to you. Ok directed to me and every listener.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #7,963 of 15,899
Just a Motto I go by. Not directed to you. Ok directed to me and every listener.

Not offense taken. I like the Motto
L3000.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7,964 of 15,899
I'm extremely sensitive to warm sounding DAPs or headphones, I can't tolerate artificial warmth from any hi-fi source, even a tiny bit. The X5 III IS NOT WARM, if it was I wouldn't have purchased it, believe me, no way in hell would I spend so much money if it had even a hint of warmth. I expect my songs to be reproduced neutral, I can't tolerate any DAC or DAP embellishing my songs. Use the line-out into a FiiO A5 and it is neutral, exactly how it should be.

I hear it as slightly warm regardless of how you hear and your attempts to convince me otherwise. I own the device and use it daily. That is my experience with the device from my usage and will remain that way regardless of how you or anyone else hears it. This is not my first dap or experience into this hobby so I know what I am hearing. People hear things differently and that's how it will always be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back