Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #7,966 of 15,899

I know, prepared photo with you in mind ! 
biggrin.gif
  I'm keeping the Grey S8, looks great and the S8 Black is a serious OCD fingerprint nightmare!

HOW?! 

I tried so hard to do this!! 

BTW, you should make a gallery out of those perfectly smudge free photos! 
gs1000.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #7,967 of 15,899
I find the X7 to be warm and smooth, the X5 III is the more neutral DAP for me, it is accurate to the source. So many comments that the X5 III is warm and smooth, but I find it closer to accurate/neutral. Maybe FiiO tweaked it in the latest firmwares. 1.1.4 sounds pro, better than X7 IMO.

IT depends heavily on which AMP module you tried X7 with 
biggrin.gif

I really loved X7 + AM03, but was not as big of a fan of any of the other modules.. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #7,968 of 15,899
  @Mars Explorer

I too didnt feel it was warm. but I wouldnt say neutral. I think its musical in a good way.

Its almost same difference what I felt between Oppo PM3 vs Meze 99.  Meze 99 just made me smile more compared to PM3. Sound wise thus may be more lively n musically engaging. I do not have more words to describe, sorry more of a noob here :D  

Meze 99 is clearly warmer than PM3, but I love Meze 99 C and use them every single day, while I don't own and probably wouldn't get PM-3 right now. I like PM-1 though, but right now Meze 99 Classics is my daily headphone and I do love them and their textures and sound! 
gs1000.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,971 of 15,899
X7 lineout to FiiO A5.

Oh... Don't know what to say, X7 is clearly more neutral to my ears. Like clearly, while X5-3 is clearly on the smooth and warm side. 

This can be a good thing, my favorite full over the ear headphones at this moment, Meze 99 Classics are quite warm, just saying how I feel about the sound 
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,972 of 15,899
I hear it as slightly warm regardless of how you hear and your attempts to convince me otherwise. I own the device and use it daily. That is my experience with the device from my usage and will remain that way regardless of how you or anyone else hears it. This is not my first dap or experience into this hobby so I know what I am hearing. People hear things differently and that's how it will always be.

You are mistaking the beefy bass for warmth. The X5 III is cold/neutral.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #7,973 of 15,899
You are mistaking the beefy bass for warmth. The X5 III is cold/neutral.

X5iii neutral?  It's got AKM's "Velvet Sound" all over it.  Definitely not neutral.

Sounds very nice ... if you like that sort of thing, but compared to something that's genuinely neutral ... nope!

I think he's hearing the same thing literally everyone else I've seen make comments about this is hearing, including myself.  In fact you're the only person I've seen claiming the X5iii has a neutral signature.  Even AKM claim that this chipset is specifically tuned for this signature.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #7,974 of 15,899
My X5 III (1.1.4) takes 25sec to switch on and I'm disappointed, I expect a DAP to switch on in 5sec or less. I hope FiiO will work on this, 5sec is a must for me. I will mention the slow switch on in the negatives of my review, and the cramped UI. I will suggest in my review how they can fix the interface to let us navivate less cramped. IMO the 1gig ram might be to blame for the slow switch on, and the slowish cpu. FiiO needs to be better in these areas of spec, 2gb ram and faster CPU, stop penny-pinching FiiO, very bad, just sayin.

I agree that the CPU and RAM could be cause of slow start up, 25 sec. however, each product is launched ith a certain target market, if you want faster CPU, more RAM and faster start up time, there is other product out there that you can choose from with the price going up to a few times more expensive. Buying a product is a chouce of the consumer, if you dont like it, there are other options. Its not fair to say that there are penny pinching, because it is your choice to get whatever product that suit you.

Consumer choose the product that they buy, if they dont like it, then change to a product that suit them.

Disclaimer: i am a bit drunk when I write this, but I just dont understand when they choose to buy a product and complain about their choice. Reviews are good, be it bad or good, but complains is not cool.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #7,975 of 15,899
I agree that the CPU and RAM could be cause of slow start up, 25 sec. however, each product is launched ith a certain target market, if you want faster CPU, more RAM and faster start up time, there is other product out there that you can choose from with the price going up to a few times more expensive. Buying a product is a chouce of the consumer, if you dont like it, there are other options. Its not fair to say that there are penny pinching, because it is your choice to get whatever product that suit you.

Consumer choose the product that they buy, if they dont like it, then change to a product that suit them.

Disclaimer: i am a bit drunk when I write this, but I just dont understand when they choose to buy a product and complain about their choice. Reviews are good, be it bad or good, but complains is not cool.

It was unopened when I bought it! How could I have known it would take 25secs to switch on?

DAPs many times the price makes no difference, it is only $8 for 1gb more ram. FiiO was penny-pinching, no matter what you say.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #7,976 of 15,899
It was unopened when I bought it! How could I have known it would take 25secs to switch on?

DAPs many times the price makes no difference, it is only $8 for 1gb more ram. FiiO was penny-pinching, no matter what you say.

Things are built down to cost, not up for profit margins you know :p  Just leave it on standby.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7,977 of 15,899

X5iii neutral?  It's got AKM's "Velvet Sound" all over it.  Definitely not neutral.

Sounds very nice ... if you like that sort of thing, but compared to something that's genuinely neutral ... nope!

I think he's hearing the same thing literally everyone else I've seen make comments about this is hearing, including myself.  In fact you're the only person I've seen claiming the X5iii has a neutral signature.  Even AKM claim that this chipset is specifically tuned for this signature.

I wholeheartedly agree! 

It is far from ever dreaming of being neutral lol

It is the smoothest and warmest thing you can find, but it sounds good. This doesn't mean it will ever be neutral. Nor dream to be. Asahi Kasei mentions many times over and over that they don't make neutral DACs, they insist that their DACs are the smoothest on the market, and I agree with them.

But that doesn't stop X5-3 form having awesome bass and mids, and for people who like relaxed /smooth treble, this is the best DAP they can get, especially at the sweet price it has!

If you make business school, you learn that penny-saving is normal for any business. Any sane company does that, and FiiO has some of the best prices in this world. If X5-3 costed 200$ more, then maybe there would have been space to complain, but as things are right now, it is awesome and priced very competitively. More expensive products feature less impressive hardware, I think that FiiO are still well on the cool side of things when it comes to how they price their things! 

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7,978 of 15,899
maybe you were a bit drunk but you make perfect sense and i totally agree with you.
the guy wants a 5 secs booting device ? even a galaxy S8 takes longer to boot. One must be aware of the limitations of hardware, and price of components, if a 5secs booting X5 could exist if would be priced more than twice the current price. And it would not run android :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7,979 of 15,899
I've had this for about a month now. It's brilliant. Easy to use and lovely sound quality, and also quite affordable. This with my v-moda 100 and fiio a5 amp have been a great combo.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #7,980 of 15,899
maybe you were a bit drunk but you make perfect sense and i totally agree with you.
the guy wants a 5 secs booting device ? even a galaxy S8 takes longer to boot. One must be aware of the limitations of hardware, and price of components, if a 5secs booting X5 could exist if would be priced more than twice the current price. And it would not run android :)

Woah, sorry if I sound bad there 
frown.gif

About boot times, Mi Max boots in more or less the same time as X5-3. Mi Max sports 3GB of RAM, Snapdragon 650, and it is a really fast device in general. Boot times are not a measure of how good a device is, and I've never seen Android booting that fast. Maybe simple linux configs, like X5-`1 and X5-2, but for an Android, X5-3 is in safe limits. Would be nice for it to boot faster, but I'm not that hurt by its current boot times 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back