Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 21, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #7,936 of 15,899
For those who own a red X5iii, what color is the leather case included? Is it black?

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #7,937 of 15,899
@psikey My wife won't let me touch hers. Oh well. I wanted her to get the Dock too... 'cause, you never know when you might want to try it out as an android desktop. She wasn't interested. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #7,938 of 15,899
For those who own a red X5iii, what color is the leather case included? Is it black?

Dear ronnel0918,

No, the leather case for red X5III is red as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #7,939 of 15,899
Dear ronnel0918,

No, the leather case for red X5III is red as well.

Best regards

I see. Will you also sell a black or brown leather case for X5 3rd Gen?

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #7,942 of 15,899
i don't have to convince anyone
to my experience fiio x5 sound is a downgrade whether to an apple laptop headphone out, an 80$ usb dac/amp (hifime sabre 9018) or the V20 (which all sounded similar and neutral)
the X5 sound really inferior in comparison (i have to raise the volume because of the weak vocals and when i do it becomes fatiguing and definetly less clear)
im not exaggerating something is clearly wrong with the x5 (at least with my headphones)

Let me suggest that you switch the X5 III to high gain in the menus and make sure the EQ is off.

FYI, I auditioned some of the best daps in the world when I bought my X5 III. AK380/Sony WM1A/Astell & Kern KANN/FiiO X7/Opus #1 etc

You might need to listen more closely, the X5 III has a pro-grade sound. FYI many reviewers mention how the astell&kern AK Jr is almost on par with their very best daps, so price is not the indicator of performance. IMO FiiO has a world class DAP in the X5 III, you are probably affected by the cheap&cheerful artificial sound of lower equipment, they sound impressive superficially, but in terms of accurate reproduction they are behind. I think possibly you might not be an audiophile toward nuances and faithful fidelity. The X5 III is punching above it's weight, it has the same DACs (actually newer model DACs) as the AK380, and the built in amp performs admirably. I preferred the X5 III over FiiO X7, and the X7 is no slouch.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #7,943 of 15,899
Dont take me wrong, but if its 1 person's opinion out of the blue and is really odd in comparison lets leave it and get back to topic. 

Help each other find best pairing, best sound, best EQ settings, best cases, best places to find music, best suggestions so that fiio improves the OS. 

If someone compares a Sports car to Animal pulled card, i dont see merit in explaining anything. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #7,944 of 15,899
I've been looking for something that speeds up the booting process and after a while i was testing a new configuration:

Now the device needs :
- 32 sec (incl.5-6 sec of holding power button) to load into android mode
- 40 sec to start playing music in Pure music mode (incl 3 sec where i was holding the power button)

here is guide:

navigate to system -> build.prop. Scroll down to the bottom and enter this line:
ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true

and or if you want to stop displaying of boot animation:

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

in my test i had both set on.

now my build file contains:

#MODS
#BOOTUP FASTER
ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true
debug.sf.nobootanimation=1
persist.sys.shutdown.mode=hibernate
ro.config.hw_fast_dormancy=1
# Battery save
pm.sleep_mode=1
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
profiler.force_disable_err_rpt=1
profiler.force_disable_ulog=1
dalvik.vm.checkjni=false
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
ro.ril.power_collapse=1
power_supply.wakeup=enable
ro.mot.eri.losalert.delay=1000
ro.config.hw_fast_dormancy=1
ro.config.hw_power_saving=1

Personally, I would not root an X5 just to gain 10s start time.
40s sounds good, without rooting I'm below 50s ...

There might be other reasons to root though, but start speed could not be one ...
40s is a long time, 50s is a long time ... so, no big difference ...

My X5 III (1.1.4) takes 25sec to switch on and I'm disappointed, I expect a DAP to switch on in 5sec or less. I hope FiiO will work on this, 5sec is a must for me. I will mention the slow switch on in the negatives of my review, and the cramped UI. I will suggest in my review how they can fix the interface to let us navivate less cramped. IMO the 1gig ram might be to blame for the slow switch on, and the slowish cpu. FiiO needs to be better in these areas of spec, 2gb ram and faster CPU, stop penny-pinching FiiO, very bad, just sayin.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #7,946 of 15,899
Your way of reasoning is mistaken, your experience is questionable. 

The reasoning is not correct because DAPs made by FiiO vary a ton from DAP to DAP. X7 sports one of the best ESS DACs in the world, while X5-3 sports one of the best AK DACs in the world. There is a known difference between ESS typical sound and Asahi Kasei typical sound, if you prefer ESS sound, you should look into X7 instead of X5-3. This is a thing of preference. 

As for your experience, X5-3 is extremely clear, and its mids are sweeeet. What you might prefer is the treble of ESS, and since X5-3 sports a very smooth treble and you might like your treble on the neutral / energetic side, maybe you would like X7 + AM3 better. 

This being said, this is a matter of taste and preference, X5-3 is an awesome DAP and so is X7, but they are made to satisfy different preferences and different listeners. I deeply appreciate FiiO having different signatures and satisfying different tastes :)

I find the X7 to be warm and smooth, the X5 III is the more neutral DAP for me, it is accurate to the source. So many comments that the X5 III is warm and smooth, but I find it closer to accurate/neutral. Maybe FiiO tweaked it in the latest firmwares. 1.1.4 sounds pro, better than X7 IMO.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #7,947 of 15,899
. So many comments that the X5 III is warm and smooth, but I find it closer to accurate/neutral. Maybe FiiO tweaked it in the latest firmwares. 1.1.4 sounds pro, better than X7 IMO.

​ Mfolks are kinda lost, have questionable hearing and use terms to describe things cuz that's what others used (parroting). I made the mistake of using that term lightly and others soon followed. I was one of the first vids on YT and my thoughts on how impressive it is has not changed. Still my go to DAP.  Love it.

This device and how it is viewed pretty much confirmed who is who and what is what around here for me.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #7,948 of 15,899
@Mars Explorer

I too didnt feel it was warm. but I wouldnt say neutral. I think its musical in a good way.

Its almost same difference what I felt between Oppo PM3 vs Meze 99.  Meze 99 just made me smile more compared to PM3. Sound wise thus may be more lively n musically engaging. I do not have more words to describe, sorry more of a noob here :D  

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #7,949 of 15,899
hey I have some questions for you Fiio x5 3rd gen owners :) Simple ones.
I'm wanting to buy one today. It looks gorgeous!

How is the latest Fiio Firmware as right now performing?

Does this also come with a screen protector already applied on out of the box like other fiio products?

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #7,950 of 15,899
I do consider this dap to be on the warmer side of neutral. I find that many sources are close to each other in tonality so small differences can make it warm or bright. I haven't been in this thread long enough to know what terms or words was used to describe things in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back