Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 7, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #916 of 15,897

Not much has changed in regard of my opinion about X5III - these days I use it more than X7 actually - still not saying X5III is better sounding of course, but it is good enough that I don't miss X7 that much.

Good enough of an endorsement for me :)

My local distributor said March release, so have time to save up

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #917 of 15,897

Sound cloud, band camp, or youtube works?

I don't think it's absolutely necessary for those to work, but it would be a plus if there's a song I don't have in collection but really want to listen to. 

Also, since it's android, is it possible to control it from another Android device, like a phone? (with 3rd party apps, of course)

Also, those are great news! 

Sound Cloud - working
Bandcamp - Mostly working. song's timer doesn't work.
Youtube - Mostly not working. Audio only, no video.

Never tried to use another Android to control it, so dunno.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #918 of 15,897
@ClieOS: Thank you for taking the time answering all the questions fired at you, really much appreciated!

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #923 of 15,897
Has anybody tried the line out?

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #926 of 15,897
I read a while ago that the line out from the X3II to a good amp provided 90% sound quality of a $1000 Sabre based dac.

While I had an X3II, and though I did not have a $1000 Dac to reference with, I was very impressed.

Now Ive got high hopes for the X5 3rd Gen.

I personally wouldn't put much stock in such a comparison. So much in this hobby has to do with personal preference and bias due to innumerable factors...

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #927 of 15,897
Has anybody tried the line out?

Yep - as afar as I can tell it is very clean.  Its a fixed voltage/volume line-out though, so if your amp has too much power for easier to drive headphones, then you may not have a lot of play (but then again you wouldn't need to amp - X5ii would handle perfectly)

BTW - tested with HD630VB, X5iii and RHA L1

How about the coaxial out?

Again - works well, although why you would want to use it as a transport rather than a DAP is a bit beyond me (it sounds great).  But tested and worked - X5iii > iDSD > HD630VB

I read a while ago that the line out from the X3II to a good amp provided 90% sound quality of a $1000 Sabre based dac.
While I had an X3II, and though I did not have a $1000 Dac to reference with, I was very impressed.

Now Ive got high hopes for the X5 3rd Gen.

Typically there isn't a whole lot of difference between most competently made devices IME. The X5iii sounds great - stand alone, or paired with other devices.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #928 of 15,897
Again - works well, although why you would want to use it as a transport rather than a DAP is a bit beyond me (it sounds great).

I haven't even heard X5 v3 yet and agree with this. Why you'd pay this much for a transport is being beyond me. If you want a cheap transport, look into Shanling M1 or use your smartphone...

Typically there isn't a whole lot of difference between most competently made devices IME. The X5ii sounds great - stand alone, or paired with other devices.

Can you please elaborate on / clarify this statement? At first glance, it bucks convention. I want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #929 of 15,897
Can you please elaborate on / clarify this statement? At first glance, it bucks convention. I want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

Yeah sure (and BTW it was a typo - meant X5iii, although doesn't stop it applying to X5ii as well).

You may not agree with this - but I've compared a lot of DAPs, a lot of DACs, a lot of amps.  I always volume match (with proper equipment) when doing critical evaluations, and I usually measure as well - especially when I'm making critical judgements.  Wherever possible I also get my wife or daughter to help me with blind switching.

Unless a device has obvious flaws - most devices sound pretty close to each other IMO (especially the DAC sections).  Sure there will be some subtle changes in tonality (warm vs cool, lush vs dry etc) - but that is mainly amp sections, and you'll always get more change from your transducers than you will with your source or amp.

If I look at all the devices I have at my disposal at the moment - from the X1, X1ii or M3 right through to the X7 and L&P LP5 - the actual differences aren't that great.  Noticeable - sure, but massive - not really.  The LP5 for example is one of the best DAPs I've ever heard with full sized cans.  I've let others hear it with an HD800, and they swear it rivals their desktop.  But if I compare it with my iPhone + iDSD - the two have 95%+ similarity.  If I'm simply driving IEMs - I'd rather have the X5iii.  The original X5ii is a also still great sounding device - but I would put the sonic difference as marginal (compared with X5iii).  What the real difference is with the feature set - Android touch, wifi, bluetooth, balanced out.  As far as sonics go - the differences are minimal.  And this does not necessarily mean superior/inferior - just slight differences.

And I've always bucked convention Nik 
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #930 of 15,897
I haven't even heard X5 v3 yet and agree with this. Why you'd pay this much for a transport is being beyond me. If you want a cheap transport, look into Shanling M1 or use your smartphone...

I admit that I primarily use the X5ii and its storage capability for my home audio & headphone systems, however I also use it as my portable on the go system. I was just wondering if the X5-3's coaxial out is superior to the X5-2's. I suspect not but I really don't know as I'm not very knowledgeable about the electronic technicalities as others hence my apparent "noob" question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back