Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 8, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #946 of 15,899
ultimately I want to stream Tidal from my phone to the X5iii and then USB out to Mojo. Being this is Android 5.1 we should be able to dedicate one mSD card to Tidal which will be awesome.

Why not just install Tidal on the X5III, use your phone as a hotspot, tether the X5III, and then play directly from Tidal? And you'll only do this if you can't get WiFi, otherwise you just use the X5III like, say, a Galaxy Player or iPod Touch.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #947 of 15,899
Why not just install Tidal on the X5III, use your phone as a hotspot, tether the X5III, and then play directly from Tidal? And you'll only do this if you can't get WiFi, otherwise you just use the X5III like, say, a Galaxy Player or iPod Touch.

Thats a great idea! I have unlimited data so not to worried about WiFi. Will the MQA still work that way, it should but im not sure if the Fiio will have the full access to Tidal. Im really excited to try this combo.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #948 of 15,899
quick question, believe I have read all of the thread so apologies if a repeat.

When using third party music amps (poweramp etc) does it utilise the same dac as the fiio main app? ie when in Android mode it does not utilise the inferior "sound chip" normally located within the SOC?

Many thanks

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #949 of 15,899
Thats a great idea! I have unlimited data so not to worried about WiFi. Will the MQA still work that way, it should but im not sure if the Fiio will have the full access to Tidal. Im really excited to try this combo.

It's more likely to work with the phone as the hotspot assuming Tidal streams MQA, since the device running the Tidal app is directly playing and decoding it rather than streaming it from Tidal then to another device.

At the same time while we can't be absolutely certain about anything, since the X5III can run like a normal Android device instead of just booting into its own player app (kind of like if an iPod Touch boots to either iOS or you go directly to iTunes like the wheel iPods), then as long as it can be registered to a Google account, then it should be able to download and run apps.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #950 of 15,899
I personally wouldn't put much stock in such a comparison. So much in this hobby has to do with personal preference and bias due to innumerable factors...

I too was skeptical of such a claim so I based my purchasing decision on the countless hours I spent researching.

Admittedly, I am hoping that the X5iii sounds somewhat similar to an AK380/Mojo, or at least better SQ wise than the AK Jr.

Typically there isn't a whole lot of difference between most competently made devices IME. The X5iii sounds great - stand alone, or paired with other devices.

After listening to many DAPs and C/IEMs recently, Ive come to realise that to be the case. There were sound differences between the AK Jr and the AK380 but not $3000+ worth imho, esp after EQ. Looking forward to a full review from you soon!

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #951 of 15,899
I've got a friend who can bought me x5 iii on China. But I think fiio only sell this on region China because the international version will get more feature.

This is what fiio says "Thanks for your kind attention. As you might know, now we are selling the first batch of X5 3rd gen in China only, because the current firmware is not stable enough, especially some services / apps that are commonly used overseas might not work very well. So it is estimated that the X5 3rd gen would be released to worldwide markets in Feb after our CNY holiday (Jan 26-Feb 3rd)."

The question is. If I bought now from China, will my x5 iii Able to upgrade using international firmware once it was release?

Not true. I think you sort of reading too much into FiiO's reply. There won't be any new feature on the international version of X5III besides the fact that the international X5III will have Google service running on it while the Chinese version won't (*because all Google server access are banned in China, so there is no point running them as they won't be able to connect to Google). There is only one reason why FiiO is selling the X5III in China first, because they know the Chinese consumers are more tolerable and patient of bug-fix, where the Western consumer (or at least some of them) ain't nearly as much - and they can get very vocal when they didn't have all their demand met yesterday (just read through the FiiO M3 and X1-II threads and you'll see). Thus FiiO has decided to release it on the Chinese market first, then get as much feedback and bugfix as possible before releasing it internationally, hoping that by the time when X5III hits the international market, it will at least be stable enough and won't get criticized as much.

quick question, believe I have read all of the thread so apologies if a repeat.

When using third party music amps (poweramp etc) does it utilise the same dac as the fiio main app? ie when in Android mode it does not utilise the inferior "sound chip" normally located within the SOC?

Many thanks

Any apps that outputs sound on X5III will use the exact same DAC as the FiiO music app. There is no such a thing as an 'inferior sound chip' on the SoC. The problem is, In normal Android, Google has implemented a simple SRC (sample rate convertor) into the audio driver that will degrade the sound quality on any sound that isn't natively encoded into 16/44.1. But on X5III (as well as X7), FiiO has rebuilt the audio driver from the ground up so Android no longer degrade the SQ. In theory, whatever apps you choose to use should give you the same SQ as the FiiO music app.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #952 of 15,899
Not true. I think you sort of reading too much into FiiO's reply. There won't be any new feature on the international version of X5III besides the fact that the international X5III will have Google service running on it while the Chinese version won't (*because all Google server access are banned in China, so there is no point running them as they won't be able to connect to Google). There is only one reason why FiiO is selling the X5III in China first, because they know the Chinese consumers are more tolerable and patient of bug-fix, where the Western consumer (or at least some of them) ain't nearly as much - and they can get very vocal when they didn't have all their demand met yesterday (just read through the FiiO M3 and X1-II threads and you'll see). Thus FiiO has decided to release it on the Chinese market first, then get as much feedback and bugfix as possible before releasing it internationally, hoping that by the time when X5III hits the international market, it will at least be stable enough that won't be criticized as much.

Now you say it. I maybe want the playstore version. And if i bought china ver. Will i able flasg the international firmware that include the playstore? 1

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #953 of 15,899
Now you say it. I maybe want the playstore version. And if i bought china ver. Will i able flasg the international firmware that include the playstore? 1

The current Chinese firmware already has Google playstore on it. Of course if you are in China, you won't be able to use it unless you find a way around the great firewall of China. but If you are not in China, then it is business as usual.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #954 of 15,899

The current Chinese firmware already has Google playstore on it. Of course if you are in China, you won't be able to use it unless you find a way around the great firewall of China. but If you are not in China, then it is business as usual.

That is great.  Too bad my wallet is empty right now or I would preorder one.  I plan on only using Music only mode, but still nice to have the option to fully utilize the dap if I ever decide to.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #955 of 15,899

Okay. Playstore was confirmed. One more question.
Will the China version and international version share the same firmware?

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #957 of 15,899

Any apps that outputs sound on X5III will use the exact same DAC as the FiiO music app. There is no such a thing as an 'inferior sound chip' on the SoC. The problem is, In normal Android, Google has implemented a simple SRC (sample rate convertor) into the audio driver that will degrade the sound quality on any sound that isn't natively encoded into 16/44.1. But on X5III (as well as X7), FiiO has rebuilt the audio driver from the ground up so Android no longer degrade the SQ. In theory, whatever apps you choose to use should give you the same SQ as the FiiO music app.

Thank you ClieOS!! This myth on Head Fi needs to die!

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #958 of 15,899

Not true. I think you sort of reading too much into FiiO's reply. There won't be any new feature on the international version of X5III besides the fact that the international X5III will have Google service running on it while the Chinese version won't (*because all Google server access are banned in China, so there is no point running them as they won't be able to connect to Google). There is only one reason why FiiO is selling the X5III in China first, because they know the Chinese consumers are more tolerable and patient of bug-fix, where the Western consumer (or at least some of them) ain't nearly as much - and they can get very vocal when they didn't have all their demand met yesterday (just read through the FiiO M3 and X1-II threads and you'll see). Thus FiiO has decided to release it on the Chinese market first, then get as much feedback and bugfix as possible before releasing it internationally, hoping that by the time when X5III hits the international market, it will at least be stable enough and won't get criticized as much.

Many thanks for a very clear answer. Makes choosing the X5iii an easier choice.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #959 of 15,899
I've been following this thread for quite some time, since I'm in the market for a new DAP that will supplant my X5 II and probably even my phone > DAC combo. Seems like the 3rd gen is a really good choice as a transport (Google Play services compliant with option to use streaming services) with no differences between dedicated music mode and Android mode DAC output. I'm just curious on the power output, however. It's not quite as say, powerful as an X7 with the amp modules, but will it be good enough to power planars? I have the Audeze Sine and it's not really known for its sensitivity - thus a need for the Oppo HA-2 as my DAC/amp - and the X5 II barely drives the Sine to my preferred listening levels.

Any opinions on if the X5 III will be able to drive such cans? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #960 of 15,899
I've been following this thread for quite some time, since I'm in the market for a new DAP that will supplant my X5 II and probably even my phone > DAC combo. Seems like the 3rd gen is a really good choice as a transport (Google Play services compliant with option to use streaming services) with no differences between dedicated music mode and Android mode DAC output. I'm just curious on the power output, however. It's not quite as say, powerful as an X7 with the amp modules, but will it be good enough to power planars? I have the Audeze Sine and it's not really known for its sensitivity - thus a need for the Oppo HA-2 as my DAC/amp - and the X5 II barely drives the Sine to my preferred listening levels.

Any opinions on if the X5 III will be able to drive such cans? Thanks.

This is why I primarily use my X5-2 as a transport into my audio and headphone systems. Superior DACS and amplifiers simply eliminates any debate whether a DAP is able to provide "adequate" electronics to enable optimal performance to a myriad of headphones.

Generally speaking a DAP's reason for existence is to provide good quality audio reproduction for portable on the go purposes and along that analogy very few people will insist that a DAP is required to drive audiophile headphones to their full potential. Instead most DAP's will drive good quality headphones that are designed with portability in mind.

With this in mind I find that the FiiO X5 checks off all desktop and portable boxes extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back