Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #421 of 15,897
http://www.head-fi.org/t/828402/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-2x-akm-4490-balanced-out-dsd-dxd-dts-android-dual-card-slot-mastering-quality-audio/330#post_13099521

Thanks I saw that. But my sense of scale isn't kicking in. Will that particular adapter or other not be damaged if the rubber feet from Fiio's stacking kit are used between the DAP and amp? Or would a thicker material be better?

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #422 of 15,897
Actually like the incognito of 'just another cheap Chinese electronic gizmo' that dissuades people from trying to nick it.

Those sexy Astell & Kern and Sony DAPS would have me paranoid that they'd walk off...

Actually the WM1Z is to heavy to walk off with you would need a car to nick that one 
biggrin.gif

As an aside; has anyone used those micro -> full sized adapters and can comment as to whether they are slim enough to fit sandwiched between a DAP and amp using those rubber feet that come in Fiio stacking kits?

I haven't personally but I have seen a few used around town.  They sandwich the adapter between two pieces of dual lock velcro and then velcro the DAP and amp together to protect the adapter.
Seems to work quite well.  With a DAP alone I am sure you could come up with something that would work. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #423 of 15,897
Thanks I saw that. But my sense of scale isn't kicking in. Will that particular adapter or other not be damaged if the rubber feet from Fiio's stacking kit are used between the DAP and amp? Or would a thicker material be better?

I guess it all depends on the thickness and placement of the rubber feet, as well as the particular adaptor used. Some may be thicker than others. If I were to use that adaptor I'd be concerned with the placement on the side as I would forever be snagging it (that's just me though). Being Android, it may be able to take OTG USB storage as well. Please don't quote me on that as I have absolutely no confirmation.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #424 of 15,897
  Just curious, how many people who were recently considering an x7 are now holding off for the x5 3rd gen? 

Actually I am kind of holding off to see what the X3-III has to offer as I don't need wifi or android for that matter.  I would assume the X3 will be closer in design to the X1-II and I just hope Fiio can get Apt-X bluetooth on the new X3 and fix all the bugs plaguing the X1-II.  Then again if a good deal presented itself for the X5-III sometime next year I could be persuaded.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #425 of 15,897
Actually like the incognito of 'just another cheap Chinese electronic gizmo' that dissuades people from trying to nick it.

Those sexy Astell & Kern and Sony DAPS would have me paranoid that they'd walk off...
I totally get how classy industrial black/gunmetal etc looks, I think the opus in metal and i5 also look superb. I think maybe for me as im fairly young, the red would go with my IEM's better as a colour to me. I have chrome v moda cfw, silver pm4, black ex800st arriving tomorrow, all my kit clashes with red in a way I think looks cool.

With the pm4 I actually went out of my way to have a red trinity case to compliment the silver IEM. Looks nice to me. However, your classic dark colours put out a sleek look red won't pull off as such. Red's a pretty fun colour I think.

As for walking off, would probably be some youngster that has pretty much no idea of what it actually does lol

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #427 of 15,897
I agree ... i have been to Prague and it seemed that the electronics are a little overpriced compared to your imperialist friends.
I dont see the reason for such a huge price difference. I may agree that it is the company's prerogative to fix price as well as maintain a comparative price across all its markets.

Having said that the X5 III looks really promising and at the end of the day irrespective of the price difference i will get one

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #428 of 15,897
I've been using USB-C for over a year and haven't had a single problem. A Google engineer has done the research on the good/bad cables and the information is readily available. I'd assume if you're on a forum like this then you're smarter than the average consumer that buys cables at a gas station. If you're really afraid of the cables then go buy a micro-USB to USB-C adapter and use your old cables.

Android phones are going to USB-C, it makes sense for HiFi DAPs to follow suit.

We discussed this awhile back in the FiiO Q5 thread - FiiO isn't using a typical 5 pins micro-USB, but a special 11 pins micro USB in order to have analog signal (line-out, balanced, etc) coming out of the micro USB slot and then go to their dock or K1 desktop amp, while still making sure it is compatible to a normal 5 pins cable. If they switch to USB-C now, then it'll becomes incompatible with the dock and K1, which will not only be unfair to those who already own these accessories, but also create headache for FiiO since USB-C doesn't have unused pins inside that can be used for analog signal. FiiO can't just randomly take over some pins inside USB-C or else it might fry your PC or the player when plugged in to a computer. Thus it makes sense not to go to USB-C this time around.

@FiiO how much will it be in China? 

Odd that Fiio haven't yet stated (in this thread) how much it will be in CNY, even though they've stated prices in others regions:

Because no one asked for the China's price? In any case, it is RMB2500, or about US$360.

Although I'm a little disappointed at the notion that the X5iii sound might have been 'warmed', rather than tuned as transparent as possible, I applaud the amount of functionality Fiio has crammed into this device, for the money. Seems Pioneer/Onkyo will have some competition!

I think it is because the last time they go for a very transparent sound on the original X5, the Chinese market sort of dislike it (which is a bit opposite to the international market's reaction). Now they tend to opt for something closer to the middle ground in order to appease both sides.

A micro-SD to full-sized SD adapter is usually about 5mm thick, which is a bit thicker than the rubber feet from FiiO (which is about 2~3mm thick). If you need recommendation of a good rubber feet that will fit, go for 3M Bumpon SJ5303 instead. It is slightly thicker (about 5.1mm), but you can always shave off just a bit on the top to give it a snug fit.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #429 of 15,897
Yeah good point about it being incompatible with the docks. I didn't considered that. Fiio has built an impressive ecosystem that gives it an edge over its competitors and the engineering on this DAP is impressive.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #430 of 15,897
  will it work with the K5 balanced output? currently it seems that only X5ii and X7 provide signal to the balanced output of the K5 (http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41213)

@FiiO

Hi bogde, 

Yep,X5 3rd gen can work with K5 balanced output.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 20, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #431 of 15,897
  Actually the WM1Z is to heavy to walk off with you would need a car to nick that one 
biggrin.gif

I haven't personally but I have seen a few used around town.  They sandwich the adapter between two pieces of dual lock velcro and then velcro the DAP and amp together to protect the adapter.
Seems to work quite well.  With a DAP alone I am sure you could come up with something that would work. 

I can get my hands on that dual lock; hadn't thought of that just assumed I'd use the bands like before.  Of course bands over a touchscreen isn't the smartest idea I could have is it?

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #432 of 15,897
I guess it all depends on the thickness and placement of the rubber feet, as well as the particular adaptor used. Some may be thicker than others. If I were to use that adaptor I'd be concerned with the placement on the side as I would forever be snagging it (that's just me though). Being Android, it may be able to take OTG USB storage as well. Please don't quote me on that as I have absolutely no confirmation.

Was thinking about mounting the adapters under a silicone skin.  Maybe even a dab of hot glue to hold them in place.  As mentioned above...possibly use the hook and loop (I think 3M has some nice thick options?) with the size of the 'velcro' cut into the silicone skin so that it is mounted firmly on the DAP.

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #433 of 15,897
I totally get how classy industrial black/gunmetal etc looks, I think the opus in metal and i5 also look superb. I think maybe for me as im fairly young, the red would go with my IEM's better as a colour to me. I have chrome v moda cfw, silver pm4, black ex800st arriving tomorrow, all my kit clashes with red in a way I think looks cool.

With the pm4 I actually went out of my way to have a red trinity case to compliment the silver IEM. Looks nice to me. However, your classic dark colours put out a sleek look red won't pull off as such. Red's a pretty fun colour I think.

As for walking off, would probably be some youngster that has pretty much no idea of what it actually does lol

Don't ask me about fashion...as long as it covers me up I'm ok (to the eternal disappointment of the wife).

I actually do like the deep anodized green though.

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #434 of 15,897
This looks like a very promising dap!
Especially glad to see (huge DSD and 24bit flac collection over here) that it has 2 micro sd slots.

Just wondering:

- Does it play native DSD from SE? Asking because Sony WM1A only can play native DSD from balanced output.
- Is the button under the volume knob for pause/next/last song?

When it has better sq than the DX80 that I recently picked up, than I will surely buy it.
(Who am I kidding....at this price I will probably pick it up anyway next year 
tongue.gif
)

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #435 of 15,897
Was thinking about mounting the adapters under a silicone skin.  Maybe even a dab of hot glue to hold them in place.  As mentioned above...possibly use the hook and loop (I think 3M has some nice thick options?) with the size of the 'velcro' cut into the silicone skin so that it is mounted firmly on the DAP.

I would fully endorse something like 3M Dual Lock (low profile is what I use) as it's been very handy for my portable gear, especially for full screen devices. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back