Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 20, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #437 of 15,899
  This looks like a very promising dap!
Especially glad to see (huge DSD and 24bit flac collection over here) that it has 2 micro sd slots.

Just wondering:

- Does it play native DSD from SE? Asking because Sony WM1A only can play native DSD from balanced output.
- Is the button under the volume knob for pause/next/last song?

When it has better sq than the DX80 that I recently picked up, than I will surely buy it.
(Who am I kidding....at this price I will probably pick it up anyway next year 
tongue.gif
)

Can't tell you whether there is any kind of conversion in the background or not as there is no way of telling. But I can tell you it can play DSD64 and DSD128 just fine.

The button on top of the volume dial is play/pause, the two button under the volume dial are previous and next.

But what about eq...i want a good eq not like cayin i5...

There is a 10 band EQ setting in FiiO music app (31, 62, 125, 250. 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16KHz). If you use other music playing apps, then of course you also get to use whatever EQ features it has.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #438 of 15,899
  Can't tell you whether there is any kind of conversion in the background or not as there is no way of telling. But I can tell you it can play DSD64 and DSD128 just fine.

The button on top of the volume dial is play/pause, the two button under the volume dial are previous and next.

Thanks for your answers (highly appreciated!)

Maybe @FiiO has the answer to the (conversion or not, when used SE instead of balanced) DSD question.
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #439 of 15,899
Thanks for your answers (highly appreciated!)

Maybe @FiiO
has the answer to the (conversion or not, when used SE instead of balanced) DSD question.
:beerchug:

Pretty sure is native. Only stupid Sony does that.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #440 of 15,899

I can get my hands on that dual lock; hadn't thought of that just assumed I'd use the bands like before.  Of course bands over a touchscreen isn't the smartest idea I could have is it?

I gave up on rubber bands a couple of years ago as they cover buttons and slide around.  I have been using dual lock exclusively since 2014 and it works great.  Keeps the screen and buttons free of any obstructions.  Dual lock also snaps apart vs having to be pulled apart like regular velcro 

Maybe you could dual lock a plastic pouch to the back of the DAP and slide the adapter into the pouch.  Then by using dual lock you could detach the pouch from the DAP if you needed to.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #441 of 15,899
  Was thinking about mounting the adapters under a silicone skin.  Maybe even a dab of hot glue to hold them in place.  As mentioned above...possibly use the hook and loop (I think 3M has some nice thick options?) with the size of the 'velcro' cut into the silicone skin so that it is mounted firmly on the DAP.

That does sound like a cool setup.  You could also get a proper silicon case that fits the DAP.  Take a second piece of silicone or something else and velcro it to the back of the silicon DAP case and slide the adapter between the two pieces of silicone.  By using velcro instead of glue if you change your mind later you can simply remove the second piece of silicone and pull off the velcro strips.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #442 of 15,899
Right, I am finally at home, so here is the early impression I promised: The actual tonal quality of the new X5II is actually pretty similar to that of X5II. That is, both have that signature FiiO house sound that is neutral while tilting ever slightly to a very faded warmish tone. The most noticeable difference between the two for me is the 'grandness' of the image - it is very hard to pinpoint a number, but I'll say the new X5II is about 30~40% large in its image than X5II. Everything sounds grander, more specious and better separated, thus everything also sounds more defined and refined. It will be the equivalent of moving a live performance from a private club to a concert hall. Compared to the X7 (with AM3 / balanced amp module) however, I'll say X7 probably still hold a 10~20% advantage for sounding even bigger / grander. X7 is also ever so slightly more neutral. That being sad, I do think the new X5III is closed to that of X7 than it is to the old X5II in overall SQ.

I saw some of you are asking about gapless - as far as I can tell, gapless is not working on the default FiiO music app, but it works just fine on Neutron and any third party app that supports gapless. As far as I can tell, third party apps sounds just as good as FiiO's app. I assume it is because FiiO already works out the SRC issue in Android Lollipop.

p/s: regarding the volume dial - it has a little resistance to it and can't be easily turned. You do have to push it with your finger a little to change volume, so I don't think there will be any issue with accidental volume change.

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

You said x5ii < x5iii < x7 on am3 in terms of overall SQ.

How about x7 on am1?

Sent from Nokia 3210

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #444 of 15,899
There is a 10 band EQ setting in FiiO music app (31, 62, 125, 250. 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16KHz). If you use other music playing apps, then of course you also get to use whatever EQ features it has.
[/quote]
Thanks but i need to know if is good implemented.
Pioneer dap and ak daps has bad eq...

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #445 of 15,899
How can this device only have 10hrs of battery life with a 3400mAh battery?  That's ridiculous.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #447 of 15,899

Did you consider all the features it come along with? Plus the process of decoding high-resolution files?

Sure, but is there a way to turn a lot of those features off?  I for one wouldn't be using it for decoding high-resolution files, just MP3 320.  Yes, blasphemy, I know, but I personally don't hear the difference between FLAC and MP3 320 (did a blind A/B test), nor do I hear the difference between just regular CD quality and high-res (it's all hype in my opinion).  But maybe others have better ears than me.  And besides, most of my music I listen to at work, while working, so it's not like I'm paying close attention with my eyes shut.

I just want a good sounding DAP with Android and great battery life (so I can use Spotify and other streaming services) that's not my smartphone (don't want to drain my phone battery).  Oh, and it needs to be affordable.  I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a frigging DAP, people who do that are crazy.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #448 of 15,899
  Sure, but is there a way to turn a lot of those features off?  I for one wouldn't be using it for decoding high-resolution files, just MP3 320.  Yes, blasphemy, I know, but I personally don't hear the difference between FLAC and MP3 320 (did a blind A/B test), nor do I hear the difference between just regular CD quality and high-res (it's all hype in my opinion).  But maybe others have better ears than me.  And besides, most of my music I listen to at work, while working, so it's not like I'm paying close attention with my eyes shut.

I just want a good sounding DAP with Android and great battery life (so I can use Spotify and other streaming services) that's not my smartphone (don't want to drain my phone battery).  Oh, and it needs to be affordable.  I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a frigging DAP, people who do that are crazy.

So how many hours do you expect and Android DAP should last?  Because I haven't seen one with 15 plus hours of playback time.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #449 of 15,899

So how many hours do you expect and Android DAP should last?  Because I haven't seen one with 15 plus hours of playback time.

15 hours sounds about right.  Not expecting an Android DAP to last as long as say my Sony A17 (20-30hrs, but a much less complicated device), but 10hrs is kinda ridiculous.  Would have to charge it every day.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #450 of 15,899

15 hours sounds about right.  Not expecting an Android DAP to last as long as say my Sony A17 (20-30hrs, but a much less complicated device), but 10hrs is kinda ridiculous.  Would have to charge it every day.

IMO, that's asking a lot if you'll want 15 hours playback from an Android DAP.  But who knows, someone in the market might build one later on, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back