Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #13,741 of 15,897
I have an issue with special characters in artist titles. In fact it's been an issue ever since I got my device and just ignored it. The band's name is Röyksopp. Somehow the umlaut just throws FiiO music into disarray. This is an album that has an album artist tag with just Röyksopp as that, and each track's artist is Röyksopp plus some featured vocalist.

All this is to say it gets turned into a SLEW of Chinese characters. I've checked my tags, they haven't been edited or rewritten. So what do?

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #13,743 of 15,897
I have an issue with special characters in artist titles. In fact it's been an issue ever since I got my device and just ignored it. The band's name is Röyksopp. Somehow the umlaut just throws FiiO music into disarray. This is an album that has an album artist tag with just Röyksopp as that, and each track's artist is Röyksopp plus some featured vocalist.

All this is to say it gets turned into a SLEW of Chinese characters. I've checked my tags, they haven't been edited or rewritten. So what do?
Dear friend,

You could send the music files to us for confirming the issue for you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #13,744 of 15,897
Dear friend,

You could send the music files to us for confirming the issue for you.

Best regards

Or you could just edit the tags to say Royksopp and have the issue go away. You will still have a clue who the artist is, it has worked well for me. (But I feel bad for being forced to do it) (LOL)

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #13,746 of 15,897
And yet Björk displays without fail. Two of the 17 tracks in Röyksopp do display as Röyksopp in artist tab... But this behavior is not the same as Foobar2k or UAPP. Hit or miss. Currently sending FiiO test file & screenshots for comparison.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #13,748 of 15,897
I'm in the same boat. I've attempted to search for it but have thus far come up blank. The closest I came to finding anything was this post by XVortex earlier in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-510#post-13427104

I'd really like to give this FW a try but I seem to be stuck at the "Requirements" phase.

FW 1.2.1 has changed the internal mapping of the partitions, so a new method is required. Follow my guide here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-906#post-14298878

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #13,749 of 15,897
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #13,750 of 15,897
You mean Android 6 and above?

No it won't happen, and it's not FiiO's fault. Rockchip have basically stopped supporting the RK3188 chipset beyond Lollipop.

Mind you, this is not necessarily a bad thing. 5.1.1 is quite good for low-memory targets, Marshmallow (and beyond) will be quite punishing on such a hardware configuration. I suspect Rockchip anticipated this, and only really provide 6.0+ support for their newer chipsets (RK3288, 3308 et al).

That said, now that we have a good custom kernel that pushes the hardware to its limits, we really need to focus on building a good custom ROM that fixes the inherent limitations of the OS. I would need all the system (not kernel) source code to work on this, but I suspect it's a commercially sensitive issue with FiiO as they charge for certain parts of the OS (such as the ViperFX additions for example). If anyone has had any experience of doing this please reach out, I could use your help.

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #13,751 of 15,897
Has anyone made a comparison between Fiio X5III's line out+A5 or E12 vs Cayin N5ii standalone? Only sound quality matters here. As X5iii-amp section keeps it behind daps like N5II then perhaps X5iii+amp should overtake N5ii. Anybody any insight?

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #13,753 of 15,897
Hi all,

A few interesting updates, initially only for the (software) tech savvy for testing. Hopefully I'll be able to release an easily flashable kernel for everyone soon.

As promised, I've reached out to @FiiO to request the latest kernel source code for the X5iii as per the GPL, and they have kindly released the code for general use. So after careful review of the code (spoiler alert: there's lots of low hanging fruit), I've created a build environment and compiled the first (basic) optimised kernel for the FiiO X5iii FW 1.2.1.

Features:
- Overclocked CPU from 1416MHz to 1704MHz (buttery smooth UI)
- Overclocked GPU from 400 to 700MHz (more responsive screen)
- Undervolted CPU & GPU (less heat, longer battery life)
- Re-compiled toolset with Linaro toolchain as opposed to GCC (more optimised, leaner meaner kernel)
- More to come soon

Warning/Disclaimer:
i) Whilst this will not brick your player, it is likely to invalidate your warranty. Usual disclaimers apply.
ii) The voltage/clock settings have worked well for my specific RK3188 chip, but can (and will) vary on other chipsets because of the die material. YMMV.

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wjqivdd2y7pbnl2/boot.zip/file

Installation:
Requirements:
- Vanilla X5iii v1.2.1 firmware
- TWRP 2.8.5.0
- rkflashtool (Linux, MacOS preferrably, though you can find the binaries for Windows)
- kernel performance tool, eg: Kernel Adiutor or similar
- patience...

1) Backup existing kernel
1.1) reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader from Windows/MacOS/Linux)
1.2) rkflashtool r boot > boot_backup.img (this is important - it will be your backup boot.img if ever you need to restore)

2) Flash new kernel
2.1) rkflashtool w boot < boot.img
(Don't worry if you get a message saying 'premature end-of-file reached' - it just means that the new kernel is smaller than the old one. Which is a Good Thing.)
2.2) Reboot: rkflashtool b

3) On first boot, reboot to TWRP (adb reboot recovery)
3.1) Wipe-> Advanced Wipe _> wipe only kernel and dalvik partition
3.2) Reboot

4) Enjoy!

Troubleshooting

If for whatever reason the player doesn't boot or you wish to return to previous firmware:

i) Unplug USB cable
ii) Press Power button for 30+ seconds until blue power button turns off
iii) Press and hold Previous + Power button for 30 seconds until player turns on and boots to TWRP
iv) adb push boot_backup.img /sdcard/
v) Install -> images -> boot_backup.img -> Boot
vi) Flash and boot back to previous kernel

Observations/Tips
i) For those of you who have complained that media search times are poor, there's a reason why. The default scheduler is cfq, which is a fair-balanced scheduler but performs poorly with large media folders. If you have root and/or flashed my test kernel, select deadline and report back to see if media seek/play times are improved
ii) Run Kernel Adiutor and try and get a long-term report of the CPU states the FiiO player spends most time in. With the performance governor (the fastest) you should see the maximum clock speed of 1704MHz being the longest time spent, but YMMV. Please report back so I'll implement and fine-tune governors and schedulers as required for best musical enjoyment
iii) Some of the kernel drivers are pretty outdated, no fault to FiiO as they've wisely chosen to use the most stable performing ones (instead of bleeding edge). I'd like this new kernel stream to focus on performance and optimisation, but some things may break in the process. If so please report back and I'll post fixes as quickly as they come.

Next Steps
Quite a lot actually. There's a lot of potential with this player now that the kernel source code has been opened up. I'm focussing on the following as next steps:

i) Optimised NAND algorithms by Rockchip to increase memory read performance
ii) F2FS support to support one of the fastest android filesystems
iii) exFAT/NTFS updated drivers
iv) Texas Instruments drivers upgrade
v) Cirrus Logic drivers upgrade
vi) And requests :)

Depending on how technical this thread becomes I might decide to move it to the xda forum for a more cohesive discussion and feedback on this specific kernel. It will depend on the level of interest for an optimised kernel for the FiiO players.

I'd also be happy to build an optimised kernel for the FiiO X7ii but (cough) I don't have one. So if anyone is interested in helping me... :)

Enjoy your new leaner, faster, cooler, feature-rich kernel. As always, feedback and comments much appreciated!

Thank you for this. I was able to install TWRP but I have failed miserably installing the kernel. I downloaded the binaries for the rkflashtool for windows, put them in the ADB folder and followed your instructions...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>rkflashtool r boot>boot_backup.img
Access is denied.

This is the result, What I am doing wrong? Sorry for the ignorance (I thought I was quite knowledgeable about flashing stuff in Android... I am not I guess)

Any help will be appreciated.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #13,754 of 15,897
You need to reboot to bootloader mode first:

adb reboot bootloader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back