Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #13,711 of 15,897
I'm having a sound quality issue with my X5 iii. The lovely wide, warm sound has been replaced by cold, mid-range heavy, highly centered sound that is also lacking as much detail as was previously present. I've checked every setting I can think of related to the audio chain and nothing appears to be different. It's like the player suddenly went from sounding like a $300 player to a $99 player. As if enough things about this device weren't already disappointing.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #13,712 of 15,897
Sorry - have to ask the obvious. Are your headphones fully plugged into the jack. You'd be surprised how many have reported sonic issues only to find that their earphones aren't plugged in properly.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #13,713 of 15,897
Tried reseating headphones in the jack, switching between Android and PM modes, checked that no extraneous Viper effects(except FirEqualizer which is always on) or main EQ was on, tried all filter types, tried low and high gain. Reset from suspend a couple of times. Also I can't seem to get the device to charge from my desktop PC now unless the X5 is not in suspend mode, and this charges extremely slowly. I realize this could be the USB controller on the PC, so I still need to try an electrical outlet charger.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #13,714 of 15,897
^
What is the source of your media in regards to deteriorated sound quality? Onboard files or streaming service? Both or one or the other?

If your media is on SDcard(s) I suggest removing them from the X5 and then perform a Factory Reset of the device.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #13,715 of 15,897
Tried reseating headphones in the jack, switching between Android and PM modes, checked that no extraneous Viper effects(except FirEqualizer which is always on) or main EQ was on, tried all filter types, tried low and high gain. Reset from suspend a couple of times. Also I can't seem to get the device to charge from my desktop PC now unless the X5 is not in suspend mode, and this charges extremely slowly. I realize this could be the USB controller on the PC, so I still need to try an electrical outlet charger.

I'd suggest at this stage contacting FiiO and getting a replacement. It could be a dud unit. It happens to all manufacturers.

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #13,718 of 15,897
I want to bring to your notice that if it is possible please consider adding the DSD gain option for X5iii in the next firmware update the way other players have
Dear friend,

Yes, we will consider adding this.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #13,719 of 15,897
I'm having a sound quality issue with my X5 iii. The lovely wide, warm sound has been replaced by cold, mid-range heavy, highly centered sound that is also lacking as much detail as was previously present.
I'm grateful that I took no one's advice. I just let the X5 iii slowly charge to 100% and tried it the next day. Everything sounds great again. I have to assume this is a power management issue. Perhaps the battery life indicator is not displaying the correct value? I am running it on electrical power today just to be safe: No problems so far.

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #13,720 of 15,897
I'm grateful that I took no one's advice. I just let the X5 iii slowly charge to 100% and tried it the next day. Everything sounds great again. I have to assume this is a power management issue. Perhaps the battery life indicator is not displaying the correct value? I am running it on electrical power today just to be safe: No problems so far.

Congrats!! Even so, it seems very strange to me that drastic change of the signature of the sound. When my unit is in low load percentages, the sound is still equal, even using high gain.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #13,721 of 15,897
this shouldn't happen on an electronic device like this, i never heard of a similar case.
maybe there is some mechanical issue inside the unit, headphone output is not fully or correctly connected to the rest of electronics or some other pieces inside, so when there is less battery, the current doesn't propagate well. just an assumption, i don't have too much experience in this field.

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #13,723 of 15,897
Haven't had any enquiries yet. I'd be happy to show them how to optimise the kernel of the X5iii (and any other FiiO android devices I can get my hands on), but they haven't replied.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #13,725 of 15,897
May I ask what you paid for the 400gb cards? I'm seeing them for $140 each (great price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back