Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #13,007 of 15,897
Yeah, I have the full version of UAPP on my HTC 10 and received the update. Don't have the X5 anymore to test UAPP on it, so I don't know about how it works with the trial.
I just saw the release notes with the X5 being supported, and thought it would be nice to bring the news here.
I'm a long time user of UAPP with smartphones, and even only playing through Android I liked it for it's clean interface and good sound.
Recently I took part in the FiiO Q5 review tour and during the testing period I used UAPP as USB player HTC 10 > UAPP > Q5 and it worked and sounded superb.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #13,008 of 15,897
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #13,009 of 15,897
Well, I tried USB Audio Player Pro and did not find anything that would justify buying it.
If it suppose sounds better than the FiiO Music app, I couldn't notice.
I stop scanning after 30 minutes (only %20) and I tried it through folders.
The user interface is fine.
When exit the application does not close completely.
I don't intent to use the FiiO as DAC so I think I'm gonna pass this, and keep with the crashy, laggy and ugly FiiO Music.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #13,010 of 15,897
that's cool, i have one more wish :) is it possible in uapp to use equalizer when playing from tidal?

Yes, you can just click the little speaker icon in the upper right when in Tidal in UAPP and options will come up, including equalizer. You can also purchase Morphit which is a headphone simulator. I think it costs a few bucks in Google Play.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #13,011 of 15,897
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #13,012 of 15,897
Haven't actually timed it - library is split across two 256gb cards - I would estimate to scan one card - between 5 and 10 minutes.

Tonight I loaded 140 tracks to the internal storage, 351 tracks to the almost full 256GB card in slot 1 and 11,137 tracks loaded on to a new 2nd 256GB card in slot 2. Total time to scan all three storage areas in one session was 11 minutes 57 seconds.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #13,013 of 15,897
Music Apps:

FIIO MUSIC good except for sorting and handling artist/compilation albums.

HIBY very good, can't seem to get to a simple way to view Artist, then album. Seems to default to Artist, song and then have to select the album in the menu to get all the songs. Cumbersome, maybe I just don't know how to get to it. HELP?

FOOBAR want to love it but it works for short time and then goes nutso and fails in several ways.

MEDIAMONKEY nice interface and works well but loses the album art and doesn't seem to be a simple way if you are not synching to computer to get the art back. Too much work for me.

NEUTRON interface too crowded and small for me. Crashed several times for me so I got rid of it.

Tried various other apps including Video Lan, etc. Nothing worked particularly well for me.

Any other winners I've missed?

I have come up with a way to appropriately tag compilation albums. Example: Time Life Collections 1962-1976. This collection consists of 5 groups of CD's - each with its own subtitle and approx 35 tracks in each group.
I tagged the artist as "Time Life Collections 1962-1976". By putting each track in an individual folder with the appropriate album art - each track shows up with it's appropriate art. These folders can just be numbered 1 thru 35 or however many tracks you have.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #13,014 of 15,897
I mean the main issue with compilation is the ''artist" tag to begin with and that's still going to remove the original artist in most cases? so I have to for every song swap the album artist and artist to retain that. FiiO please just allow us a sort option that reads off of album artist tag and if none is present use artist.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #13,015 of 15,897
I mean the main issue with compilation is the ''artist" tag to begin with and that's still going to remove the original artist in most cases? so I have to for every song swap the album artist and artist to retain that. FiiO please just allow us a sort option that reads off of album artist tag and if none is present use artist.
And with swapping you wind up being incorrect if you use a different app that treats it properly. So I wind up with a tribute album with various artist where every song is "Bob Dylan" when in fact he may not appear on any of the songs. Plus the wasted time of having to do all that.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #13,016 of 15,897
I used the FIIO app for a long time. But since my preferred method to listen is shuffle all the FIIO app falls short in that it tends to replay a very finite number of songs.
So I switched to Foobar which was working swell.
Today, with the news of the update of USB Audio Player Pro I download a copy of it and yes, it takes a bit of time to scan. But when it was done scanning it reported that I had a Fiio X5III and it would set it up appropriately. My jaw kinda dropped when I started listening. It sounds way better to my ears than Foobar. The interface popped up with a colored background that I chose to disable.
I think it is a keeper for me.
For those who think it is too expensive I have to ask, what does it cost, like $8?
(I bought it a long time ago for another device and I don't remember what it cost)

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #13,017 of 15,897
around 8 euros == ~10 usd. i tried it last night on both lg g3 and x5iii. the sound is very good, specifically for g3, i don't know what the app really does but on the phone it uses default android device as it doesn't have hifi dac and the sound is just great.
on x5iii it detected the hifi dac and even though it was a bit slow on first start, it then played tidal right away. i didn't scan my songs but i have what i needed, tidal with equalizer. which responds better than viper eq and fully works. on viper eq the 31hz band has no effect. this adds to the already mention own fiio music eq which does nothing but lower the volume when activated.
i'll buy the app and send an email to developer to ask him if will try to support offline tidal. it's the only thing missing, still the effort is worthwhile. by the way, there is a dedicated uapp thread on headfi.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #13,019 of 15,897
I'll have to try this app.

@FiiO

The only issue I have had with the Fiio software is the fact that if I embed the album art 400 x 400 jpg in the ID Tag, it will not recognize it on FLAC or WMA files. I'm using dbPowerAmp for all my conversions and tagging. If I put the same jpg file in the folder with the art still embedded - it won't recognize it.

If I remove the embedded album art and put the same jpg file in ONLY the folder - all is good. Don't know if this is the Fiio software issue or a dbPowerAmp issue???

Anyone else experiencing this? Any other all in one conversion / tagging utilities that I should be looking at?

As far as sorting and alphabetizing - all is good. Just as an FYI... I tag all my albums as: Year - Album Title so that albums are listed in Chronological order under the artist.

Thanks for any input.
All my artwork is embedded and the file size of the .jpg or .png file is 500x500 or higher. Usually, I aim for 600x600 as my default.
My artwork always shows with the song playing.
I only use the Fiio app on the player but I know my artwork works on my Ubuntu desktop.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #13,020 of 15,897
Screw Loose - Yes I literally can hear a piece of something rattling around inside the X5iii when I shake it lightly. It still works fine, but not sure if it is a shorting hazard at some point. If I new how to easily pop it open I would. Sending it back to FIIO seems like a stretch. Any ideas?

@FiiO
Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that. Would you mind sending a small video to us for confirming the issue?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back