Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #12,991 of 15,897
USB Audio Player Pro has a brand new version 4, and the FiiO X5 is officially supported and tested with their new Direct driver for Hi-Res, meaning UAPP now diectly accesses the X5 DAC with no resample! The X5 was verified by frequency analysis.
Check out the new version in Play Store.

More here: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver

BRILLIANT!

Proper playback of Hi-Res audio files, no downsampling, proper implementation of UPnP (yeah, Neutron, you don't do this right either), and even sort by ALBUM ARTIST!

All this is missing is full-screen lockscreen art and controls: a SMALL price to pay for such an excellent feature set.

ATTN: FiiO -- download this app and LEARN SOMETHING!

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #12,992 of 15,897
BRILLIANT!

Proper playback of Hi-Res audio files, no downsampling, proper implementation of UPnP (yeah, Neutron, you don't do this right either), and even sort by ALBUM ARTIST!

All this is missing is full-screen lockscreen art and controls: a SMALL price to pay for such an excellent feature set.

ATTN: FiiO -- download this app and LEARN SOMETHING!
That gave me a good laugh

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #12,994 of 15,897
for sure fiio's development management is laughable.

i read somehwere that uapp integrates with Tidal, what exactly does this mean? i could play tidal trough uapp somehow? or only when attaching an usb dac to an android device?

Yes you can play Tidal through UAPP. You don't have to have a DAC or amp attached it works straight out of Android. With certain phones, like the LG V20 it will even bypass the Androidc SRC which allows you to play files from Tidal bitperfect with no upsampling. I Listen to Tidal this way on my V20 every day and it sounds excellent.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #12,995 of 15,897
for sure fiio's development management is laughable.

i read somehwere that uapp integrates with Tidal, what exactly does this mean? i could play tidal trough uapp somehow? or only when attaching an usb dac to an android device?

IN UAPP you can select Tidal from one of the menus, login in to the app and you're streaming Tidal. Works pretty well in my experience although the interface and look are different than the regular Tidal Android app. I haven't downloaded UAPP 4.0 yet but it should be basically the same deal. And with 4.0 when using it with the X5III, it has the dedicated Hi Res driver so there won't be any of the Force 16-bit requirement previously required in the UAPP software so the FiiO will play clean.

I also assume that the X5III is still problematic with the USB Audio way of utilizing UAPP (via OTG cable to outboard DAC) but with the Hi Res driver, playing music right out of the X5III (using FiiO's internal DAC) should be a pretty good experience. If you want Tidal MQA natively in internal DAC mode you would have to have a phone/DAP like the LG V30 which UAPP has integrated its software to utilize the LG V30's native MQA decoding via the Hi Res driver.

If you do want to use UAPP in its full blown OTG cable to outboard DAC mode, many regular Android phones/tablets will allow this--UAPP has a long list of those that they have tested. I know that I can do this (and decode Tidal MQA files) with my EVGA Tegra Note 7 tablet (Android 4.3) connected to a Meridian Explorer2 DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #12,997 of 15,897
that's cool, i have one more wish :) is it possible in uapp to use equalizer when playing from tidal?

I'll have to try this app.

@FiiO

The only issue I have had with the Fiio software is the fact that if I embed the album art 400 x 400 jpg in the ID Tag, it will not recognize it on FLAC or WMA files. I'm using dbPowerAmp for all my conversions and tagging. If I put the same jpg file in the folder with the art still embedded - it won't recognize it.

If I remove the embedded album art and put the same jpg file in ONLY the folder - all is good. Don't know if this is the Fiio software issue or a dbPowerAmp issue???

Anyone else experiencing this? Any other all in one conversion / tagging utilities that I should be looking at?

As far as sorting and alphabetizing - all is good. Just as an FYI... I tag all my albums as: Year - Album Title so that albums are listed in Chronological order under the artist.

Thanks for any input.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #12,998 of 15,897
I transfer files to FIIO with MediaMonkey and have no issues seeing album art in FLAC files. Don't use WMA. Some of the other music apps randomly don't like the artwork in my files but I have a mix of different artwork types so it is hard to chase down the reasons. Mp3tag is pretty simple to use and effective for changing out art in files, also use Musicbrainz Picard. It's become a full time job dealing with all this instead of just listening to music.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #12,999 of 15,897
I'll have to try this app.

@FiiO

The only issue I have had with the Fiio software is the fact that if I embed the album art 400 x 400 jpg in the ID Tag, it will not recognize it on FLAC or WMA files. I'm using dbPowerAmp for all my conversions and tagging. If I put the same jpg file in the folder with the art still embedded - it won't recognize it.

If I remove the embedded album art and put the same jpg file in ONLY the folder - all is good. Don't know if this is the Fiio software issue or a dbPowerAmp issue???

Anyone else experiencing this? Any other all in one conversion / tagging utilities that I should be looking at?

As far as sorting and alphabetizing - all is good. Just as an FYI... I tag all my albums as: Year - Album Title so that albums are listed in Chronological order under the artist.

Thanks for any input.

I don't keep any album art in folder as a .jpg . I embed every track, as high res as I can find (usually 1k x 1k). And I use kid3 to tag it all, if not XLD when converting from flac to alac (I keep my full library in iTunes so that's just for convenience that I use alac not flac).

And 99.9% of the art displays. Except maybe a few tracks that iTunes handled are stored in a separate folder and I just haven't fixed it yet by reembedding.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #13,001 of 15,897
I'm looking to change the FiiO Music app, now I see this USB Audio Player Pro and I'm wondering if it's worth the price. Don't see a way to test it first, did anyone use it and recommend it?
I asked this a few posts ago and a link was provided for testing.

I downloaded the app, it took 19 minutes to scan my 6000 song library and then gave me one minute of playing time. LOL, I deleted the app and rate it a big fail.

btw - HIBY music app took about 2 minutes to scan and sort my songs.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #13,002 of 15,897

I downloaded the app, it took 19 minutes to scan my 6000 song library and then gave me one minute of playing time. LOL, I deleted the app and rate it a big fail.

I found the link for trial that you said, thanks!
I'll give it a look.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #13,003 of 15,897

The scanning speed is not everything. You should have only restarted the app, not delete it...
The trial gives you 20 minutes per session, after the 20 minutes you just have to close and re-open the app to get another 20 minutes for testing.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #13,005 of 15,897
I want to echo ghosthost that it is excellent news that UAPP now works properly on the Fiio X5iii.
I've used it for a few years with android devices with a USB DAC - most recently with a Dragonfly Red. It has always sounded excellent, and its interface has improved by leaps and bounds.

The key thing here is its own hires driver. I really like the sound it produces with the Dragonfly. And I was equally impressed by the sound with the X5iii.
Until now I thought Neutron produced the best sound with earphones; but my initial impressions are that UAPP is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back