Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #12,977 of 15,897
Haven't actually timed it - library is split across two 256gb cards - I would estimate to scan one card - between 5 and 10 minutes.
I'm not sure if the scanning speed has been improved via updates but I remember it was incredibly slow in a demo unit I tried at a local audio store. 7k out of 13k songs scanned in 15-20 minutes. I gave up and just used folder browser instead.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #12,978 of 15,897
I'm not sure if the scanning speed has been improved via updates but I remember it was incredibly slow in a demo unit I tried at a local audio store. 7k out of 13k songs scanned in 15-20 minutes. I gave up and just used folder browser instead.
The FIIO Music app is slower than any other app I've tried. Apparently it takes extra time to scan songs and put them in an incorrect order. :)

The Hiby app is faster.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #12,979 of 15,897
It would most likely be an upgrade and definitely so if you stack it with the E12A.

May I suggest considering the N5ii or the Opus 1s as potential upgrade options?

The X5iii was a good mid-fi player when it first came out but now its outclassed by both the N5ii and Opus 1s which punch way above their price (N5ii@$369) (Opus 1s@$399) in terms of sound. The Opus can't run android apps though and lacks Bluetooth and WiFi.

(BTW, don't confuse the Opus 1 with the Opus 1s. The 1s is an upgraded version with better DACs)

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I have not been in the DAP market since I got my current setup.

I am looking into the N5ii. Any idea if you can effectively run the PLEX app on it. I want to stream FLAC files from my media server at home.

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #12,981 of 15,897
Good day! Im just wondering if how much sensitivity is needed to hear that hiss sound on the background?

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #12,982 of 15,897
Good day! Im just wondering if how much sensitivity is needed to hear that hiss sound on the background?
Well, it depends on how loud you listen. Generally speaking it's typically iems with less that 16 ohms impedance and a higher sensitivity than 110dB/mW which are more succeptible to noticeable hissing.

For those who listen at high volumes, only the most sensitive iems will hiss. I listen quite loudly so normally it's not a problem for me.

Basically, the louder the sound, the stronger the signal,thus giving a higher signal to noise ratio.

Again, this is not absolute. I have heard iems with noticeable hissing due to its tuning like the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #12,983 of 15,897
It would most likely be an upgrade and definitely so if you stack it with the E12A.

May I suggest considering the N5ii or the Opus 1s as potential upgrade options?

The X5iii was a good mid-fi player when it first came out but now its outclassed by both the N5ii and Opus 1s which punch way above their price (N5ii@$369) (Opus 1s@$399) in terms of sound. The Opus can't run android apps though and lacks Bluetooth and WiFi.

(BTW, don't confuse the Opus 1 with the Opus 1s. The 1s is an upgraded version with better DACs)

I picked up an N5ii. Thanks for the info!

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #12,985 of 15,897
Well, it depends on how loud you listen. Generally speaking it's typically iems with less that 16 ohms impedance and a higher sensitivity than 110dB/mW which are more succeptible to noticeable hissing.

For those who listen at high volumes, only the most sensitive iems will hiss. I listen quite loudly so normally it's not a problem for me.

Basically, the louder the sound, the stronger the signal,thus giving a higher signal to noise ratio.

Again, this is not absolute. I have heard iems with noticeable hissing due to its tuning like the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD.

I'm confused... I have an X5III and with both the 1more Triple Driver and the Fiio 9Pro's, the only way I can hear hiss out of it is on a silent passage with the volume at 90+ - way too loud for my normal listening. Other than that - music seems to come out of a "black" background. This holds true on both FLAC and WMA VBR which are my two main file types.

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #12,986 of 15,897
Screw Loose - Yes I literally can hear a piece of something rattling around inside the X5iii when I shake it lightly. It still works fine, but not sure if it is a shorting hazard at some point. If I new how to easily pop it open I would. Sending it back to FIIO seems like a stretch. Any ideas?

@FiiO

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #12,987 of 15,897
I'm confused... I have an X5III and with both the 1more Triple Driver and the Fiio 9Pro's, the only way I can hear hiss out of it is on a silent passage with the volume at 90+ - way too loud for my normal listening. Other than that - music seems to come out of a "black" background. This holds true on both FLAC and WMA VBR which are my two main file types.
I think that hissing would be from the song itself. Some recordings do indeed have a significant amount of background noise.

Try downloading a silent track and test it out.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #12,988 of 15,897
USB Audio Player Pro has a brand new version 4, and the FiiO X5 is officially supported and tested with their new Direct driver for Hi-Res, meaning UAPP now diectly accesses the X5 DAC with no resample! The X5 was verified by frequency analysis.
Check out the new version in Play Store.

More here: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #12,989 of 15,897

Users who are viewing this thread

Back