Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 30, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #11,116 of 15,899
Perhaps, but with that logic, I could have stuck with the iPod Classic. I didn't know it sounded bad until someone on the Internets told me!
And, for what it's worth, my main motivation for finding a replacement to Pure Music is functional, as opposed to sound quality. Although I'm not sure Neutron meets my needs, because I can't seem to get albums to sort by Artist instead of Album Artist.
Exactly, you once were enjoying music on that ipod. Music sounded great until. Good luck and enjoy.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #11,117 of 15,899
Exactly, you once were enjoying music on that ipod. Music sounded great until. Good luck and enjoy.

Ooh yes! The downward spiral. My wallet cringes every time I get on the Interwebs and go into a headphone forum.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #11,118 of 15,899
Perhaps, but with that logic, I could have stuck with the iPod Classic. I didn't know it sounded bad until someone on the Internets told me!
And, for what it's worth, my main motivation for finding a replacement to Pure Music is functional, as opposed to sound quality. Although I'm not sure Neutron meets my needs, because I can't seem to get albums to sort by Artist instead of Album Artist.

You might wanna use a program like MP3Tag to copy the Artist field to the Album Artist field. Problem solved.
That's how I tricked Foobar which uses Album Artists fields instead of Artist fields.
You will have to remind yourself to do it every time you add stuff to your cards though.

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #11,120 of 15,899
Its just browsing by using the tagged library instead of folders. When you get to the "home" screen, you can browse by song, artist, album, genre, or use folder view. Try one of the others. If your music is tagged properly you'll have no issues.

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #11,121 of 15,899
You might wanna use a program like MP3Tag to copy the Artist field to the Album Artist field. Problem solved.
That's how I tricked Foobar which uses Album Artists fields instead of Artist fields.
You will have to remind yourself to do it every time you add stuff to your cards though.

Does MP3tag (and its ilk) work on the Fiio? Or on the source folders? My music files are in iTunes, so I'd rather not muck it up.)

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #11,122 of 15,899
I use MP3tag (even to the point of using wine on Linux) for all my tagging. Always have

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #11,123 of 15,899
Forget about AK Kann and it's VAST storage.
20170830_173043.jpg 20170830_173035.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #11,128 of 15,899
Question about Neutron: I was reading through their FAQs and saw this:

Q: Why do I need to know about Resampling?
A: Generally speaking, you don't. Until the moment when you get music files which have frequency other than 44.1kHz. Android OS is hard-coded to 44.1kHz frequency, e.g. if you have music files with the same frequency then no resampling happens. But if you get music with 48kHz frequency, or Studio quality music with 96kHz frequency then the real-time resampling will take place. Neutron provides 3 resampling methods which can be chosen depending on performance of your device.

What does this mean? Does it mean that my 96 khz or 192 khz files are only played at 24/44.1?

there's a new Neutron version that supports up to 192khz for the fiio X5 III as it was announced and tested on this thread a few pages back

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #11,129 of 15,899
yeah, but your battery life seriously decreased :wink:

That's ok. It is rare for me to listen to music for more than an hour, or two (if I'm lucky) straight. To me, battery life really only matters on my phone. If I'm sitting to listen, there will be an outlet nearby. Though, I can run a battery run-down test just for S&G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back