Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #6,081 of 15,899
200 gig sd, just put a new one right in the X5III.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #6,082 of 15,899
I'm still having an issue where slot 2 keeps unmounting / disappearing. I'm in Pure Music Mode, and whenever I pause a song, wait... then press play, it either says "music file does not exist" or it restarts the song after a bit.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #6,083 of 15,899
I'm still having an issue where slot 2 keeps unmounting / disappearing. I'm in Pure Music Mode, and whenever I pause a song, wait... then press play, it either says "music file does not exist" or it restarts the song after a bit.

do you have the issue with FW 1.1.4 ? I had the same issue but it got solved with 1.1.4.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #6,084 of 15,899

I'll have an X5iii in hand tomorrow and I'll post something.  Not very rigorous, since I don't have the Onkyo in hand any more, but at least some impressions.

Then more later, once I get the Fiio burned in.

I've had my X5iii for a week now.  I like it very much, more than I expected.  Probably halfway burnt in, since I've left it looping when I wasn't listening.

I agree with most of the other impressions/reviews.  Very 'musical', yet still detailed, with great instrument resolution/localization.  My only complaint is that the sound stage seems small.

In comparing X5 to the dp-x1, I would say the dp-x1 is more analytical and a bit more detailed, with a larger sound stage in all three dimensions.  Sound signature is not that different, but the dp-x1 seemed a little cooler (vs warmer for X5), with more energy at the high end (more sparkle?).  Bass impact and extension comparable, with more mid-bass energy from X5.  But the tonality differences subtle.

Overall, I'd say both are very capable DAPs, and if the Onkyo was at/around the same price, it would come down to your listening preferences.  As the price differential is near 150 USD, I would (and did) have no problem picking the X5.

In 'slotting' the X5 with the other DAPs I've tried, (dx80, Plenue M2, Opus#1, dp-x1) I'd say the X5 comes closest to the Opus.  Opus probably a shade less warm, slightly brighter, maybe a bit more detailed, with a somewhat larger sound stage.  

To compare sound stage:

X5 -- onstage with band
Opus -- front row at club
dp-x1 -- 5th row at concert

Please consider that I'm comparing the sound of the X5 in my ears to the sounds of the other DAPs in my memory.

BTW, most of my listening (to all these DAPs) have been with the iBasso IT03s balanced with an ALO Audio Tinsel cable.  I've been avoiding my CIEMs (mostly) since I need to tweak the sound to get to my preferred signature (a little bass boost with Frogbeats C5, a little treble boost with Aurisonics AS-2).  IT03s are right there out of the box.

Bottom line, X5iii is a keeper.  I'm sure I'll eventually pick up a dx200 (once the beta test is over) and then we'll see ... perhaps some other HeadFier will get a good deal on a lightly used X5iii.  :veryevil:

X5iii arrived today. Been testing it with my usual Tidal offline tracks and I'm going to come back to @LCMusicLover's brilliant mini review - above - specifically the soundstage comments: I totally agree that the X5iii (balanced) has a very wide soundstage with fantastic instrument separation, but I'm 100% in agreement with the point about the X5 soundstage being "on stage with the band" versus the DP-X1 being "5th row at a concert" (I've never tried the Opus, so nothing to add).

I've played in bands for years and the FiiO is exactly like being onstage with the band, with bass player to one side, drums behind and vox up front. It has a lovely warm feel (not unlike my old AK120 with A1 Audio Glove, but the X5 is more detailed). It's definitely "wide" rather than "deep" (the Onkyo is a "deeper" soundstage).

I also reckon that IEM and cable pairing is going to have quite a big impact on overall listening enjoyment. The FiiO is warm, so it needs a reasonably lively IEM + cable combo to bring the high frequency sheen back. I've been listening with an Effect Audio copper 4W cable, which is also warm, and Cosmic Ears CE6P. Now trying them with the same cable and Earsonics Velvets (which need more volume to drive them): less bass but nice energy (slightly less instrument separation, but I'm tapping foot more to guitar-based music). Quite different. I strongly recommend trying different pairings before you draw a conclusion. Soundstage seems to have a touch more depth with the Velvets, for example.

At this early stage, I'd agree that it's very "musical", which makes for easy and enjoyable listening for those of us who love hearing then instruments as they should sound in real life. Just get the IEM and cable pairing right.

Edit: just tried the X5 with ALO CDM (for CDM geeks - I've swapped out the tubes from stock). They wouldn't talk to each other using micro USB - OTG (I.e. Where the CDM takes over DAC duties as well as amping), so I tried a 3.5mm mini connector cable (I thinks it's a silver wire one) so the CDM is just amping, with the balanced out from the CDM. Sounds fantastic with either the Cosmic Ears or the Velvets.

This seems to make sense, as the X5 has the same converters as the AK380 (someone please correct me?), and the CDM has lovely tube tones. Very happy.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #6,085 of 15,899

do you have the issue with FW 1.1.4 ? I had the same issue but it got solved with 1.1.4.

Yeah. I reformatted my cards, deleted the FiiO music data and album folder. Is there anything else I missed? I'm using 2 SanDisk 128GB cards.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #6,087 of 15,899
If the 2nd slot keeps unmounting you might have a lemon. Take 2nd tray out. Reset factory and reset the 2nd tray and then rescan again. If that continues. I would see about getting a possible replacement. 

I have had no issues with my player not seeing my 2nd card. Oh and make sure when you format your cards it is in FAT32 format. I just format my cards in my X3ii player. Both my cards reads perfectly and works perfectly. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #6,088 of 15,899
Travelling out of town for the first time with the X5 III and A5. Been getting a great many looks and I updated to the new fw on the move. Loving it more and more. A few friends listened to it and have decided to buy it.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #6,089 of 15,899
Travelling out of town for the first time with the X5 III and A5. Been getting a great many looks and I updated to the new fw on the move. Loving it more and more. A few friends listened to it and have decided to buy it.

I have to say, it's off the charts in terms of value for money.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #6,090 of 15,899

FIIO - Suggestion for next firmware X5 3rd Gen

When Search is used – and a file is found and selected to play:
New option should be “ADD To Now Playing”

That way the current users folder/playlist selections aren't changed and the user can continue listening to the cued songs.

The way the X5 is set now, the player switches to the folder where the file was found, and the users cued files are lost.
Quite annoying.

The “ADD To Now Playing” option should also be available for any file selected while listening to a cue/folder/playlist.

THANK YOU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back