Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #6,106 of 15,899
  as far as downloads, I think it might be more than spotify losing its downloads. I use Rhapsody/Napster and prior to the most recent firmware i was losing my downloads daily. I was hopeful this was fixed with recent FW but my downloads  lasted 2 days. I get the in app message that "download location has been reset". all my cards are fat32.

Oh, this is good to know!
Does anybody know if Fiio is aware of this problem?

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6,109 of 15,899
Hi everyone,

I have been on hiatus from head-fi for quite some time because my wallet was taking a serious hit. However I am back for more. 

I bought the X5 about 2 weeks ago when it came out and have had a lot of use on it. I really expected it to be better. I am comparing it to the Sony ZX2 and it just does not stand up to it in energy, fun factor or accuracy. The ZX2 does have a higher noise floor though. 

I am using Westone W30 and AKG K3003 IEMs along with both daps. No headphone amps. I have tried both native music player as well as streaming services on both players and the X5 just does not compare in musicality to the Sony. 

Has anyone else heard both and feel the same way?  

I feel the link to the review below is spot on. 

http://theheadphonelist.com/the-big-bad-bear-deep-in-hibernation-a-review-of-the-fiio-x5-3rd-gen/

Let me know if anyone here feels the same way. I apologize if this topic was already discussed before. 

Thanks. 

I can't compare to Sony but to astell kern ak 70 and I think sonically the ak 70 was absolutely better. I hope the x5 will improve the sound after burning

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #6,110 of 15,899
@FiiO i hear a click between end of a song and begining of a new song with line out when connected to an amp. I thought at first it was with 3rd party apps only, but now i tested it again and again with stock player and it is with stock player as well, the only way to get rid of it is to turn on gapless

please look into that

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #6,111 of 15,899
Travelling out of town for the first time with the X5 III and A5. Been getting a great many looks and I updated to the new fw on the move. Loving it more and more. A few friends listened to it and have decided to buy it.

The x5iii/A5 combo is a superb set up. I really enjoy my pair. Heavy, but wonderful sound.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #6,112 of 15,899
  A lot of people prefer Opus#1 over this..maybe I should have saved up haha
Its not a big upgrade in SQ over my 2nd gen X5 to be honest. 

Yes, if you want a DAP-only device and don't care about streaming, Opus #1 should certainly at the top of the list of devices to consider if your price point is < $750.  Also Cowon PM2.

FiiO X5iii spends some of your money on non-SQ things.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #6,113 of 15,899
Brooko uses the HD600 I think, but if Paul owns the 650 and loves it with the X5iii standalone that would be nice
biggrin.gif

@Brooko 
Have you tried the X5iii with the HD600?  
What did you think?
Did it need stacking with the A5?

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #6,115 of 15,899
Dear Fiio and friends in this thread, may i know if i need to charge Fiio x5 iii up to 10 hours when I first unbox it? Thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #6,116 of 15,899
I ended up purchasing a pair. I was going to wait for B&H to get them in stock but I remembered that Adorama has them as well so went in after work to purchase one. I like how there are two cases included - the silicone which is already installed and the leather case. The leather case doesn't seem to be high quality so I'll probably look for another case. I guess the dap is still on the newer side since I don't see it on the website for dignis. I only have one 200gb micro sd so will get another one in the future. 400gb is around 100gb more than my total collection of music so that should be more than enough for a long time. The OTA update was pretty simple and the download took a minute or two. I remember reading that the update took a long time by wifi so they must have fixed that issue. I downloaded poweramp as that's what I use on my phone and like the UI of it. 

I'll be pairing these with my CA Andromeda so hopefully it's a good match. I *think* I hear a very low hiss however the room has to be silent and I have to really focus to hear it so I believe in normal conditions this will not be an issue. I'll also need to experiment with the filters to see what they do.

Also anyone know of a place to get a good leather case similar to the dignis case quality? 

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,117 of 15,899
  I'm torn between this and the Onkyo DP-X1. Want to purchase this week. Anyone try them both?

Yes, I have.

Both sound good, but they are definitely different sounding.

Onkyo, more detailed, analytical, less warm.  More depth in 3d soundstage.

X5iii more musical, warmer, somewhat less detail, very immersive but 'intimate' soundstage.  Excellent separation/location of instruments and voices in 2 dimensions

I thought balanced made a bigger difference on the Onkyo than FiiO -- specifically in terms of soundstage, and also, a bit tighter bass.

Sound sig and stage size are the biggest SQ differences.

I like the feel of the FiiO in hand better -- preferred the smaller width/height and didn't mind slightly greater depth.  Also preferred the rounded corners of FiiO vs sharp pointy corners of Onkyo.  

Don't know if you run the risk of the 'loose headphone jack' issue with a new dp-x1.  Seemed like a serious problem, especially if it crops up after end of warranty period.  As much as anything else, that drove me away from the dp-x1.

I can't really say much in comparing the usability of Android or streaming apps.  Neither was a problem for me to use, and I didn't notice anything remarkably good or bad about that with either player..

Hope this helps.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #6,118 of 15,899

Yes, I have.

Both sound good, but they are definitely different sounding.

Onkyo, more detailed, analytical, less warm.  More depth in 3d soundstage.

X5iii more musical, warmer, somewhat less detail, very immersive but 'intimate' soundstage.  Excellent separation/location of instruments and voices in 2 dimensions

I thought balanced made a bigger difference on the Onkyo than FiiO -- specifically in terms of soundstage, and also, a bit tighter bass.

Sound sig and stage size are the biggest SQ differences.

I like the feel of the FiiO in hand better -- preferred the smaller width/height and didn't mind slightly greater depth.  Also preferred the rounded corners of FiiO vs sharp pointy corners of Onkyo.  

Don't know if you run the risk of the 'loose headphone jack' issue with a new dp-x1.  Seemed like a serious problem, especially if it crops up after end of warranty period.  As much as anything else, that drove me away from the dp-x1.

I can't really say much in comparing the usability of Android or streaming apps.  Neither was a problem for me to use, and I didn't notice anything remarkably good or bad about that with either player..

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #6,119 of 15,899
  @FiiO there is bug which only happens with line out when connected to an amp and 3rd party players like neutron and poweramp.

when the music finishes and before the second song starts there is a very tiny click sound coming from left side of a headphone or iems, this does not happen with stock fiio music app, but it is there with 3rd party players.

Dear Sound Eq,

We will report to the engineers and try to look at it. Thank you for the feedback.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #6,120 of 15,899
After listening to the Fiio X5 for 2 days, I can say that I'm impressed with the audio prowess of this little device. I'm hearing separation that I didn't expect to hear out of even 320kbps MP3's, I really wasn't expecting such a massive difference. I still haven't found the sweet spot for the EQ though, but even without EQ, this thing soars!

It's so sad that software bugs hold this back. Fiio Music crashes on 1.1.4 once in a while. It also cuts the beginning of each track, takes 2 seconds to react to a track position change... The fact I can't use this with my Surface Book also irks me.

For some reason, Poweramp just doesn't seem to bring the same range as Fiio Music app either, which makes me wonder if what Fiio said about any music app benefiting from the sound quality boost was true...

Oh well! Will keep playing with it and hope Fiio fixes the lingering issues. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back