Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4,291 of 15,897
@Sonic Defender
@Hawaiibadboy

True older music was never recorded well, but as HBB mentioned remasted Zep, especially their BBC sessions, remastered, Fleetowood, or even Black Sabbath are superb in details and depth. i am no 49 yr old :)  but i have loads of great recordings from that era. 

Even when recording was bad somewhere musically i find many lot more fullfilling, yes that is personal from one to other 

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #4,292 of 15,897
@fish1050

you are right in a way, however wont compare them with Sony.  I dont remember when was last time Sony got involved in what people wanted, or delivered sound for price they ask for.  So all companies are with their good n bad side.

I just feel, and its just my personal opinion, a company who acknowledges flaws, listens n works towards getting them sorted, is far superior to a higher than thou sort of brand.  

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #4,293 of 15,897
So you sat down and A/B'd each of these DAPs with the X5iii to write up this comparison :rolleyes:

Sorry guys - by his own omission Ric heard the X5iii briefly in a store.  I'd take any of these comparisons with a rather large grain of salt.

Does DP-X1A sound much better than DP-X1? Hence, I do not see the comparison between DP-X1 and X5-III (I still owe X5)? Thank you.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #4,294 of 15,897
New 3rd gen on its way for the weekend. Can anyone tell me if I can install the last.fm app and scrobe my music plays to them while in the main player mode or do I need to be in Android mode?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #4,295 of 15,897
  Still doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to wait until it has been released for awhile before purchasing to make sure it is stable and functional.  Seems a lot of people reporting not all tracks on the player being recognized.  Kind of a pretty major problem and one I would want fixed before I purchase the player, especially at this price point.  The last thing I want to have to do is mess with potentially thousands of songs just to get the player to recognize them.

I have had my Sony A17 for over 2 years and everything worked great when I bought it and it still does.  Unlike you I am use to having DAP's with everything working properly and I don't want to own ones that don't work as they should.

To be fair, you also pay more for Sony products relative to their performance in order to get that software refinement and reliability. But I still agree with you...Fiio needs to test their products more. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #4,296 of 15,897
I love my flc8s too but I also have fit issues
frown.gif
so got some Trinity audio phantom master 6 arriving hopefully next 2 weeks although starting to worry about that! Haha

Yep, I have the Hunters on the way... But with how this whole pre-order went I would hesitate to recommend Trinity to anyone.   Unless these really blow me away it will likely be my last order from them.  The FLC8S were so great I still sometimes consider grabbing a pair of the CIEM version.  

Yup I'm not so sure I'll order from them again. Well no pre order anyway. If they are good then I'm willing to buy again but only in stock items.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #4,297 of 15,897
Sony keeps fixing their FW just like Fiio and every dap maker.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #4,298 of 15,897
Mine arrived yesterday and I love it.  Great sound quality and spotify has worked straight away and it has recognised all the music on my sd card.  The only downpart has been is that the wifi is very slow on it and it took ages to download songs on spotify.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #4,299 of 15,897
Sod it. I've given up on the X5III partly due to my Spotify issue* but gone mad over night & pre-ordered a Hugo 2 instead ! My audio supplier has confirmed they are getting 16 (8 black/8 silver) so I have a black reserved in the first shipment currently stated as end of March.

For now I will just keep using my Z5 compact/DFR. Happy listening for all you new X5III owners, its great value for money & I'm sure the Spotify issue will be resolved at some point.

* No idea why some of us are having this issue while others reporting not but have factory reset 3 times & synced ~15GB of tacks around 6 times before giving up.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #4,301 of 15,897
Sod it. I've given up on the X5III partly due to my Spotify issue* but gone mad over night & pre-ordered a Hugo 2 instead ! My audio supplier has confirmed they are getting 16 (8 black/8 silver) so I have a black reserved in the first shipment currently stated as end of March.

For now I will just keep using my Z5 compact/DFR. Happy listening for all you new X5III owners, its great value for money & I'm sure the Spotify issue will be resolved at some point.

* No idea why some of us are having this issue while others reporting not but have factory reset 3 times & synced ~15GB of tacks around 6 times before giving up.
Enjoy the Hugo 2.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #4,304 of 15,897

Can album art be displayed if there is a graphic in the same directory as the music?

Yes.  In order to tame file sizes, I've removed embedded album art in my media files and just have a folder.job in each album's folder ... that's what the X5 III shows me when I'm searching or playing a song.

pat----

I just tried this myself with the smaller of my two memory cards.
I keep a copy of the files on a a few hard drives for safe keeping. So it was no big deal to remove all the embedded album art from 33.7GB worth of files. I was surprised how quickly Tag and Rename did this for me. I was more surprised to find out after all the art was removed that it still showed up as 33.7GB in file size. Whatever savings I got seems too small to notice.
I have noticed that the X5iii was reporting a smaller number of files on this drive before I did the art removal. It was off by a couple of thousand. And yet when I tried to find what was missing, I could not. Every file in ever directory was present when I looked at the directories using the X5iii to browse. This makes me think that there may be an error in reporting how many files are present. The files are there, they are playable, perhaps just the report is wrong.
At any rate, I deleted all the files on the smaller card on the X5iii and I am currently loading the art free files (with a folder.jpg in each folder). After it finishes copying the files I will update the database and see what the result is.  
I am not to worried about this issue. I am quite confident that Fiio will take care of it. It was just so easy to do I thought I'd try it,

(when I add album art to my individual tracks the size of the image is normally between 200kb - 350kb, 600x600 pixels The smaller card had approx 1400 songs)

*UPDATE*
After doing this and resetting the database and doing a fresh search, all files are reported as found. The numbers it found matched the numbers I have for songs on each disc. Hmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back