FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #4,621 of 7,088
  Thanks @Koukol
:)

So If I have bassy IEMs like Titans, will X5ii still bring out the bass properly?

I know nothing about pushing IEMS let alone that brand.
But, unlike some other DAP's the X5ii has never been accused of sounding thin.
Add to that an EQ that boosts bass and I can't think of a better "sure bet".

If you haven't yet I would check out the great reviews here such as Brooko's

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #4,622 of 7,088
If you set the EQ sliders all the way up and switch back and forth between custom and off you'd be very hard pressed to hear a difference, if there is a difference. The implementation of the EQ on the FiiO DAPs is to reduce the total output by -5dB to allow headroom avoiding clipping when the sliders are maxed and the volume is near the top. This is a good thing. What may appear as reduced clarity is simply reduced volume.

What a user may want to try is to raise all the sliders to the max and then 'cut' or reduce the frequencies that you want lowered. So if you want more bass only lower the treble and mids. If you want more clarity then lower the bass only. This is actually a good way to get an equalized sound without over driving the amplifier (like Apple iPod classic EQ).

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #4,623 of 7,088
If you set the EQ sliders all the way up and switch back and forth between custom and off you'd be very hard pressed to hear a difference, if there is a difference. The implementation of the EQ on the FiiO DAPs is to reduce the total output by -5dB to allow headroom avoiding clipping when the sliders are maxed and the volume is near the top. This is a good thing. What may appear as reduced clarity is simply reduced volume.

What a user may want to try is to raise all the sliders to the max and then 'cut' or reduce the frequencies that you want lowered. So if you want more bass only lower the treble and mids. If you want more clarity then lower the bass only. This is actually a good way to get an equalized sound without over driving the amplifier (like Apple iPod classic EQ).

Excellent news and makes a lot of sense since I usually need to reduce the volume in Audacity with "amplify" before I boost anything.
Cheers, Relic.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #4,625 of 7,088
Relic,

"To install the firmware, place x5.fw onto a small, empty MicroSD card, and power the Fiio X5 on while holding the top left button."

I've never done anything like this before so I have a couple questions.

If I do this will it add a sixth choice or will it replace one of the five already on?
I guess to see what they look like I need to install them so if I don't like one can it be removed easily?

It's really cool you're sharing your work.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #4,626 of 7,088
Relic,

"To install the firmware, place x5.fw onto a small, empty MicroSD card, and power the Fiio X5 on while holding the top left button."

If I do this will it add a sixth choice or will it replace one of the five already on?
I guess to see what they look like I need to install them so if I don't like one can it be removed easily?

It's really easy to do. By loading the modded theme firmware you replace the stock firmware. If you want to go back to the stock firmware you can reload that FW file and it will overwrite the modded theme firmware.

To be clear, it's a "x5ii.fw" file. If it's not the "x5ii.fw" file name it won't find the file or update. Original X5 firmware, "x5.fw", will not work on the X5ii. Also, I've successfully re-loaded all my firmware on the same card that contains my music (the card was formatted FAT32 in the X5), without any issues. Just make sure you place the file in the root of the card and not in any folders.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #4,627 of 7,088
Or you can follow this video I did earlier:

[VIDEO]https://vimeo.com/138690645[/VIDEO]

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #4,628 of 7,088

Relic,

It's really easy to do. By loading the modded theme firmware you replace the stock firmware. If you want to go back to the stock firmware you can reload that FW file and it will overwrite the modded theme firmware.

To be clear, it's a "x5ii.fw" file. If it's not the "x5ii.fw" file name it won't find the file or update. Original X5 firmware, "x5.fw", will not work on the X5ii. Also, I've successfully re-loaded all my firmware on the same card that contains my music (the card was formatted FAT32 in the X5), without any issues. Just make sure you place the file in the root of the card and not in any folders.

So I should make a copy of the original 5 first and save it somewhere safe?
And I don't need a blank card?

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #4,629 of 7,088

You can use a blank card if you have one for your peace of mind, but I never have and I've flashed the firmware MANY times without an issue. Do what you're comfortable with.

You can always download the official firmware from FiiO's website if you want to go back to the original firmware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl724puib3xz43e/X5II-FW1.2.zip?dl=0

Edit: Just to be sure, you're using an X5ii (second generation) right?

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #4,630 of 7,088
Is there a limit to how long a file name should be on the X5ii? For example, several movements from classical symphonic music works appear correctly in the "Browse Files/SD card" but not when I look at the same selection in "Play By Category/Album (or) Artist." All tracks are not displayed in this view. What should I check to correct this? Is tag length an issue?

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #4,631 of 7,088
Is there a limit to how long a file name should be on the X5ii? For example, several movements from classical symphonic music works appear correctly in the "Browse Files/SD card" but not when I look at the same selection in "Play By Category/Album (or) Artist." All tracks are not displayed in this view. What should I check to correct this? Is tag length an issue?

A file name should be short-er than 256 characters (I recall there being a limit on fat32 architecture)

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #4,632 of 7,088

You can use a blank card if you have one for your peace of mind, but I never have and I've flashed the firmware MANY times without an issue. Do what you're comfortable with.

You can always download the official firmware from FiiO's website if you want to go back to the original firmware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl724puib3xz43e/X5II-FW1.2.zip?dl=0

Edit: Just to be sure, you're using an X5ii (second generation) right?

Yes it's the X5ii

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea where you pasted the file.
When I open up my X5ii on my laptop I get 4 folder options.
.android_secure     Android      LOST DIR.
and Music

Edit~OK I guess the root is the very page that my 4 folders are in.
Mine just looks so different since I haven't made any other folders yet...I guess.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,633 of 7,088
Definitely a file name size limit.  If too long the player will not recognize it and in my experience when I have set up  playlists and one of those files came up the player would freeze on the file.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #4,635 of 7,088
  Definitely a file name size limit.  If too long the player will not recognize it and in my experience when I have set up  playlists and one of those files came up the player would freeze on the file.

In fact, I think that I had gone over-board with my statement. 256 is way too much for X5II to handle as to how long the name of a file can be (file path is part of that name AFAIK)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back