FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #4,606 of 7,088
Hello, I have a question about the reproduction by tags. When I have an album with several CDs, songs are played in the following order:

1.- archive.m4a
1.- archive02.m4a
1.- archive03.m4a
2.- archive.m4a
2.- archive02.m4a
2.- archive03.m4a

I've used mp3tag to indicate to which cd belongs to each track, but it seems the Fiio x 5 II ignores this. Any solution?

Thank you.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #4,607 of 7,088
  Hello, I have a question about the reproduction by tags. When I have an album with several CDs, songs are played in the following order:

1.- archive.m4a
1.- archive02.m4a
1.- archive03.m4a
2.- archive.m4a
2.- archive02.m4a
2.- archive03.m4a

I've used mp3tag to indicate to which cd belongs to each track, but it seems the Fiio x 5 II ignores this. Any solution?

Thank you.

Convert to FLAC using foobar2k and FLAC command. It is a waste of time trying to fiind out why this is happening with ALAC, because it is closed source. 

/End of rant!

Now for real, go in settings, there is a place to set if you see file name or file tag, enable file tag, probably you see file name instead of tag
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #4,609 of 7,088

The X5ii measures pretty much ruler flat - nothing boosted or recessed.

Cheers.
I pretty much thought so.

I'm disappointed in the EQ though...
It should be more neutral when the settings are set to "0"
It would be much easier to just dial out an offending frequency this way.

I should say that the I really appreciate that there is an EQ on the X5ii.
My biggest complaint about the Pono is there isn't one.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #4,610 of 7,088
  I should say that the I really appreciate that there is an EQ on the X5ii.
My biggest complaint about the Pono is there isn't one.

Agree - PONO would be a much more complete player (I quite enjoyed it) if they could solve battery life and had decent EQ ability.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #4,613 of 7,088
good folks here,
do you think this cable will work with the X5ii to an amp? if you have any experience, please let me know. thanks.

NO, you don't want to hook up a balanced cable from the single ended line out.

Just pick up a single ended cable.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4272

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #4,614 of 7,088
  good folks here,
do you think this cable will work with the X5ii to an amp? if you have any experience, please let me know. thanks.

Hi, what both Dobrescu George and x RELIC x  said are right, the cable you mentioned is NOT suitable for the X5II. And the cable recommended by x RELIC x is the right one for the X5II. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #4,615 of 7,088
Thanks guys.
Another question... So the cable provided by Fiio for the digital out looks looks quite like the trrs to a female coaxial. Do you guys know if there's a short version for a male end?

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #4,616 of 7,088
Thanks guys.
Another question... So the cable provided by Fiio for the digital out looks looks quite like the trrs to a female coaxial. Do you guys know if there's a short version for a male end?

The cable supplied by FiiO is meant to be used as a coaxial adaptor for digital output. The reason it's a TRRS connection is because it is shared with the Line Out jack. The pin configuration is Tip=Left signal, Ring#1=Right signal, Ring#2=Ground (shared with coaxial), Sleeve=Signal for coaxial. To hook up to an external amp just buy a regular 3.5mm stereo cable to RCA or to 3.5mm on the other end (depending on what you are connecting to). To hook up to coaxial digital use the included adaptor and a regular RCA coaxial cable to an external coaxial input.

Here are the search results for "3.5mm to RCA" from Lunashop, plenty of short options for you:

http://www.lunashops.com/search.php?encode=YTo0OntzOjg6ImtleXdvcmRzIjtzOjEyOiIzLjVtbSB0byBSQ0EiO3M6MToieCI7czoxOiIwIjtzOjE6InkiO3M6MToiMCI7czoxODoic2VhcmNoX2VuY29kZV90aW1lIjtpOjE0NTI1MDkzNzQ7fQ==

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #4,618 of 7,088
 I was considering a DX90 but chose the X5ii because it was cheaper

How does the DX80 compare where it matters most...the sound?

What file types are you going to be using? In general, I feel like the DX80 is on par with the Fiio X5ii. However, in my usage, I feel like it was slightly better. however, I do not have the X5ii anymore.. All I have is the X3ii and the DX80, which.. I will be sending the x3ii back.. but not the DX80.. that thing is staying with me.. I love it. The more I use it, the better it sounds.

Does dx80 have more bass then x5ii? Or neutral?
Also does eq on both let you increase bass without muddling other sounds?

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4,619 of 7,088

I was considering a DX90 but chose the X5ii because it was cheaper

How does the DX80 compare where it matters most...the sound?

What file types are you going to be using? In general, I feel like the DX80 is on par with the Fiio X5ii. However, in my usage, I feel like it was slightly better. however, I do not have the X5ii anymore.. All I have is the X3ii and the DX80, which.. I will be sending the x3ii back.. but not the DX80.. that thing is staying with me.. I love it. The more I use it, the better it sounds.

Does dx80 have more bass then x5ii? Or neutral?
Also does eq on both let you increase bass without muddling other sounds?

I can only speak for the X5ii... so I will :)

The EQ is a mixed bag (mostly good) imo.

First off the bad...
It will NOT work on any file over 48000Hz.
Switching it on changes the sound even if every frequency is set to zero.
I haven't figured out if it's just a volume drop or if the upper mids get reduced automatically fixing arguably the most common problem...harshness.
Once you edit one of the EQ settings (Rock, Jazz, Classical etc) you can't rename it. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
There's no quick access to the EQ settings

The good...
I find the settings very musical.
For instance I can dial up the bass to the maximum setting without destroying the sound with muddiness.(unless the recording already is bass heavy of course)
I think they kept the options subtle as to not destroy the music.
I personally hate it when one notch changes things dramatically.
The bass is more than satisfactory for my HD600's with thin recordings

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back