FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #4,636 of 7,088

Has anyone tried 2x200 GB cards?
If yes, then I would appreciate any feedback about performance, navigation and general playback.
Thanks!

I have 2 x 200 GB Sandisk cards in my X5ii and they were formatted in the X5ii without any problem. 
I then put them individually into a USB3.0 card reader in my PC to transfer my music collection onto them this is quicker than transferring onto the Fiio via USB.
The cards were put in back into the X5ii and the "Update media lib" run this took about 12 minutes. 

All my music is ripped from CD with dBpoweramp in Flac level 8 and have used about about 340GB from the total of about 366GB available after formating which is 13,237 songs.

I followed the advice given from this thread (and many thanks to the many people who post on here) and spent several days organizing my music collection before copying to the sd cards.
My folder structure is 26 folders "A to Z" then a folder for each artist then each album in its own folder as shown below

I don't get hung up with track names 101 102 201 202 301 302 etc I just put each disc in it's own folder see "Live in Gdansk"

I also re-sized all my folder artwork to 400x400 and found new artwork if is was smaller than this size. As the X5ii display is 400x320 any larger is wasted space for no extra display quality.
Another this I did was remove any non-standard characters or symbols from the artist, and album titles. i.e I only use A-Z and 0-9

If you you use Play by category the each key press take about 7 seconds to make anything happen due to the large library which is very slow.
However if you browse by files "which is reason for all the upfront work on the folder structure" then every key press respondes in less that a second no feeling of lag at all.

I know this won't suit everyone but I always listen to albums and usually know what artist and album a want to sit down and listen to so the folder method works for me,

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,638 of 7,088
Yes it's the X5ii

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea where you pasted the file.
When I open up my X5ii on my laptop I get 4 folder options.
.android_secure     Android      LOST DIR.

and Music

Edit~OK I guess the root is the very page that my 4 folders are in.
Mine just looks so different since I haven't made any other folders yet...I guess.

Yes, that's the root.

It looks like you used your card with an Android device. Is the card formatted FAT32 (preferably with the X5 format tool in System Settings)?

If not then a small separate card would be your best option as the firmware can not be updated on any other format.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,639 of 7,088

Yes it's the X5ii

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea where you pasted the file.
When I open up my X5ii on my laptop I get 4 folder options.
.android_secure     Android      LOST DIR.

and Music

Edit~OK I guess the root is the very page that my 4 folders are in.
Mine just looks so different since I haven't made any other folders yet...I guess.

Yes, that's the root.

It looks like you used your card with an Android device. Is the card formatted FAT32 (preferably with the X5 format tool in System Settings)?

If not then a small separate card would be your best option as the firmware can not be updated on any other format.

Cheers.
Not sure what format it is at the moment...It's the card I used with my Pono.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #4,643 of 7,088
My X5 ii been shipped today.
Should have it by Monday.

Will first update to beta fw to test search feature so I wont have to put my files in Alphabetical folders.

I assume X5 ii supports exfat for music files?

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #4,644 of 7,088

Will first update to beta fw to test search feature so I wont have to put my files in Alphabetical folders.

Yes, I'm playing an exFat card right now.
However,  Fiio suggests we buy a 32Gb card for updating and format to FAT32...I bought one today for this reason.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4,645 of 7,088
OK,
I'm happy to report Relic is right. (thanks again Relic)

Pushing all EQ frequencies to the max gives almost the same sound as off. (it's a fraction of a db louder)
This is great for dialing down offending frequencies like I did last night with the often annoying 2K.
Too bad I can't label it a "Harsh Remover"... but again this is a minor quibble.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #4,646 of 7,088
OK,

Pushing all EQ frequencies to the max gives almost the same sound as off. (it's a fraction of a db louder)
This is great for dialing down offending frequencies like I did last night with the often annoying 2K.
Too bad I can't label it a "Harsh Remover"... but again this is a minor quibble.

Actually, I believe FiiO adjusted the dB reduction to -5 dB instead of -6 dB sometime ago on the original X5 so moving the sliders all the way to the top is about +1 dB louder than off, just to be technical about it.

If you want to re-name your EQ settings you can unpack the firmware and edit the eq.ini config file. Unpacking instructions are in the first post of the custom themes thread. It's pretty straight forward.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #4,647 of 7,088

I'd still recommend formatting the card with the X5ii before loading your music and organizing your folders anyway. A little work up front makes your experience smoother in the long run. :wink_face:

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,648 of 7,088

OK,

Actually, I believe FiiO adjusted the dB reduction to -5 dB instead of -6 dB sometime ago on the original X5 so moving the sliders all the way to the top is about +1 dB louder than off, just to be technical about it.

If you want to re-name your EQ settings you can unpack the firmware and edit the eq.ini config file. Unpacking instructions are in the first post of the custom themes thread. It's pretty straight forward.

OK...I under estimated the volume boost just to be safe.

Some more great news on customizing :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #4,649 of 7,088
I'd still recommend formatting the card with the X5ii before loading your music and organizing your folders anyway. A little work up front makes your experience smoother in the long run.
wink_face.gif

Might just do that. :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #4,650 of 7,088
OMG!!!

I just downloaded Relics themes and they are BEYOND great!
These are so professional looking, Relic, I hope Fiio is paying you.
Do they even know of your work ?

You've brought a lot of class to this great sounding player
(I own a McIntosh Amp & Preamp :))

Thank you!

btw~Is the first one Steam Punk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back