FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 9, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #4,591 of 7,088
So I guess I was kinda doing it right
I didn't know it could be held down though...that will make it slightly easier.
Thanks, SH.

Have you experimented with the picture covers?
I'm hoping I can resize them so the tops aren't lopped off.
My Pono does the opposite...it trims the sides.
I guess I can add a black border on the top and bottom.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #4,592 of 7,088
People always recommend using Coverart and set the size to 500x500. Or you can use MP3tag as well.. Both are fairly easy to use.. It all boils down to how much music do you have. I haven't taken the time to do it.. I'm not ocd enough to NEED the album art.. Lol.. It's nice when I do see it though.. And that's considering I only have about 80gbs of music.. Lol.. Perhaps something for me to do this weekend... Lol

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #4,593 of 7,088
  So I guess I was kinda doing it right
I didn't know it could be held down though...that will make it slightly easier.
Thanks, SH.

Have you experimented with the picture covers?
I'm hoping I can resize them so the tops aren't lopped off.
My Pono does the opposite...it trims the sides.
I guess I can add a black border on the top and bottom.

if you want to enjoy covers, get an x7 or a phone, don't bother with these small daps

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #4,594 of 7,088
Or return the X5ii and get the iBasso DX80.. I just got mine yesterday from Amazon, and it has no issues with the album art. Screen is amazing. Not sure if I like the Scroll wheel or Touchscreen better while I'm out and about though. Scroll wheel and physical buttons are simple to use while walking around or wearing gloves at work. However, the DX80 has physical buttons for fast forward, rewind, play and pause. So Kudos to iBasso so sticking with a nice mix of physical buttons and adding that beautiful touchscreen. Lol..

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4,595 of 7,088
What do you guys think; FiiO claims X5II will have better clock/crystal, so it will play files without resampling - how about the X5 first gen- what sample rates will it play without resampling?

As I use a separate amp, I only use the line out from X5 (not headphone out) and plays a lot of high res files with 24/96 or 192 kHz. Will the X5 decode those files equally to X5II?

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #4,596 of 7,088
What do you guys think; FiiO claims X5II will have better clock/crystal, so it will play files without resampling - how about the X5 first gen- what sample rates will it play without resampling?

As I use a separate amp, I only use the line out from X5 (not headphone out) and plays a lot of high res files with 24/96 or 192 kHz. Will the X5 decode those files equally to X5II?

You seem to have some terminology mixed up. The clock/crystal is for jitter rejection, not re-sampling. The X5ii does not re-sample PCM at all, just like the first generation X5 (they both play 16/44.1 to 24/192 with no re-sampling). The native sampling on the X5ii is only for DSD format, which is different to the original X5 converting DSD to PCM before playback.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #4,597 of 7,088
You seem to have some terminology mixed up. The clock/crystal is for jitter rejection, not re-sampling. The X5ii does not re-sample PCM at all, just like the first generation X5 (they both play 16/44.1 to 24/192 with no re-sampling). The native sampling on the X5ii is only for DSD format, which is different to the original X5 converting DSD to PCM before playback.

Thank´s RELIC for your explanation!

Also, FiiO claim X5II will have up to 40% more power (+-7 V) vs X5, will this also be an improvement when using line  out or is it only for headphone out?

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #4,598 of 7,088
Thank´s RELIC for your explanation!

Also, FiiO claim X5II will have up to 40% more power (+-7 V) vs X5, will this also be an improvement when using line  out or is it only for headphone out?

Just for headphone out (with high gain). The Line Out bypasses the headphone amp.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4,600 of 7,088
Or return the X5ii and get the iBasso DX80.. I just got mine yesterday from Amazon, and it has no issues with the album art. Screen is amazing. Not sure if I like the Scroll wheel or Touchscreen better while I'm out and about though. Scroll wheel and physical buttons are simple to use while walking around or wearing gloves at work. However, the DX80 has physical buttons for fast forward, rewind, play and pause. So Kudos to iBasso so sticking with a nice mix of physical buttons and adding that beautiful touchscreen. Lol..

I was considering a DX90 but chose the X5ii because it was cheaper

How does the DX80 compare where it matters most...the sound?

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #4,601 of 7,088

What file types are you going to be using? In general, I feel like the DX80 is on par with the Fiio X5ii. However, in my usage, I feel like it was slightly better. however, I do not have the X5ii anymore.. All I have is the X3ii and the DX80, which.. I will be sending the x3ii back.. but not the DX80.. that thing is staying with me.. I love it. The more I use it, the better it sounds.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #4,602 of 7,088

What file types are you going to be using? In general, I feel like the DX80 is on par with the Fiio X5ii. However, in my usage, I feel like it was slightly better. however, I do not have the X5ii anymore.. All I have is the X3ii and the DX80, which.. I will be sending the x3ii back.. but not the DX80.. that thing is staying with me.. I love it. The more I use it, the better it sounds.

I'll use whatever I can get that's mastered well...from MP3 to DSD
I would say I mostly rip my CD and vinyl collection with EAC and Audacity.

Last night I realized the X5ii was much more forgiving on crappy recordings (especially with the EQ) but on a couple needle drops I made I noticed I couldn't pick out the instruments from the mix as well as with my Pono.
I'm now wondering if the mids are recessed on the X5 or boosted on the Pono.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #4,603 of 7,088
The X5ii measures pretty much ruler flat - nothing boosted or recessed.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #4,604 of 7,088
It doesn't get any "better", your ears adapt to the sound signature of your combination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back