FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,486 of 3,739
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,487 of 3,739
Common practice for professional, independent reviewers. You can contact a store and request to become an affiliate, then if people watch/read your review and then use a link to a store to make a purchase based off your review (the store gives you a hyperlink that let's them know the customer came from you), you get a small commission off the sale.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,488 of 3,739
Quote:
Common practice for professional, independent reviewers. You can contact a store and request to become an affiliate, then if people watch/read your review and then use a link to a store to make a purchase based off your review (the store gives you a hyperlink that let's them know the customer came from you), you get a small commission off the sale.

I'm not really a feisty or very 'brave' individual to ask those kind of things.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,489 of 3,739
Quote:

Wah, that's pretty neat. I didn't know companies do that.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,491 of 3,739
Quote:
Hold on to your hats, you are gonna love this question.

can I use it to power Bose q15 a little louder. I know the Bose has its own inbuilt amp and I don't want to blow it up.

You won't blow anything up unless you turn the volume up on (very very high)a powerful amp very high.

The drivers will probably suffer damage before the current from the more powerful amp backfeeds and blows everything.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,492 of 3,739
I mainly got the E12 (v1) for my AD900X's. But I am very pleasantly surprised about how well it also pairs with my closed JVC S500's. Impressions here.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,493 of 3,739
Added the E12 vs O2 section to my review:

FiiO E12 with Custom Project-H (Objective 2 w/ Burr Brown op amp and Cirrus Logic flagship DAC)
With the DAC being the CS4398, the FiiO E12 does a good job up against the O2. The O2's vocals are more forward and louder than the E12's. The depth on the E12's vocals are also much better. The seperation and soundstage of the mids(instruments) is also superior on the O2. The O2 is just a bit sweeter than the E12. The E12, I would say is a bit colder than the O2. Of course, colder does not equal more neutral. The O2 would be the more neutral amp, but the O2 accentuates more parts of the song than the E12 does. Now you are thinking, how can the O2 be more neutral if it accentuates more things? Well neutrality is a word that goes into the best reproduction of music and how neutral will theoretically reproduce the music better. And the O2 does reproduce it better than the E12. The overal transparency on the O2 is also better than the E12. However, the units are still nice and closely matched. I'm quite surprised how close they are. To some, the distance between the two may not warrant one or the other, and to some, the distance is huge(purists). But whatever it is, I think that the E12 does a very good job against the O2. It's only that while on the go, I personally prefer a more warmer sound than what the E12 offer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650683/fiio-e12-mont-blanc-review-and-help-thread

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,494 of 3,739
Quote:

Sounds like a conflict of interest. Reviewers interested in making money would deliberately inflate scores and give overwhelmingly positive reviews. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,496 of 3,739
Sounds like a conflict of interest. Reviewers interested in making money would deliberately inflate scores and give overwhelmingly positive reviews. 

Could be a conflict, that's why most people with affiliate connections go for a more "reporter" style review where they don't usually pick favorites. Then again, some reviewers DO pick favorites and only write reviews on products they like. Lastly, I bet there are some sell-outs like you say, but that strategy is very bad long-term because it hurts one's reputation to give bad advice. I think it's only a problem if the reviewer is asked to lie, or ignore some glaring defect.

DPRreview.com (camera review website) used to be supported by affiliate links until they were bought by amazon, some individual reviewers such as Steven Huff (unabashed fan of Leica cameras, and capable compacts) and Ken Rockwell make their living (or a good part of it) with affiliate links. The most careful, well-versed, and in-depth reviewers spend a LOT of time on their craft, and barring a massive inheritance there is no way they could $pend so much time and pay the bills without compensation. Where do you think professional reviews come from? It's just that, in this digital age, individuals can be professional reviewers instead of being part of a magazine or journal. If the affiliate compensation comes from Amazon or some other store carrying various brands, then the reviewer is more free to be honest.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,497 of 3,739
I used to have a long time ago the Fiio E9 desktop amp. I have the E17 which was got to eventually pair up with the newer E09k amp.

But the E12 with my iPod Classic just sounds so incredible no matter what headphone I have used with it that I wonder if the E12 is Fiio's best sounding amp regardless. I keep the bass boost on the E12.

Has anyone got the E12 and the E09K ? And if so can you give any feedback between the 2. I really think the E12 provides a better sound overall.

The E12 is the only amp where I am toe tapping constantly to the music. It's not about the technical figures sometimes, its about the experience.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,498 of 3,739
Quote:
Wish I had affiliate links... Maybe I'll do that in the future, but I didn't make time for that before jumping into the review itself. Kinda peeved that in the stats of my E12 video, I saw a store post Boweii's video and mine on their product page to increase their sales. Happy to work for ya guys for free, while I go back to flipping burgers tomorrow
rolleyes.gif

You may want to know: Affiliate links can't be posted here any more than a store or person can post advertising (without first becoming a sponsor). If you have a blog that is making money from affiliate links, that makes you a "Member of the Trade" and would, in effect, kill much of your ability to post on the forums at all.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #1,499 of 3,739
Only 12 hours battery life??

Thats poor lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back