FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #392 of 2,501
Hello,

Can the TuneIn APK be installed on the M9 or is there a streaming application to grab a link to a radio?
The M9 has wifi so streaming would be interesting.

Thank you.

Bonjour,

L'APK de TuneIn peut il être installé sur le M9 ou y a t il une application de streaming permettant de saisir un lien vers une radio?
Le M9 dispose du wifi donc faire du streaming serait intéressant.

Merci.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #395 of 2,501
As İ can see M9 is only Fiio model that supports LDAC and Aptx HD,
So if İ prefer listening music wireless (lets say with Sony MDR 1000 mk3) does it mean that in headphones the sound of M9 will be much better quality than sound from X5-III via Bluetooth?
Thanks

The X5 III supports up to AptX from what I can tell. So theoretically the device with the better capability on streaming would be 'better'. In which case you can say yes as the M9 is just a source when used with BT and it supports AptX, AptX HD, LDAC, HWA

Ordered mine. . .. Keeps me wondering why does Fiio have to whitelist apps?

What if an app like Deezer gets updated?

Let's hope an XDA developer orders one and have Root acces

I've gotten an official reply from FiiO on the reason for whitelisting.

I'm an embedded engineer and one look at the spec sheet already gave me a hunch. The M9 SoC is not powerful enough to provide a good experience if they give you 'full' Android with Play Store. Next, then you may go, OK, no play store services, how about I install my own APKs? It turns out that is still barely powerful enough depending on what apps you install and this can lead to bad user experience. Thus to keep everything running smoothly, FiiO only whitelists apps they know and tested work well with M9 performance wise (well......working good enough I guess).

"What if an app like Deezer gets updated?"
There is no app store with the M9. Since Deezer is white listed. You can simply download the latest APK onto a micro SD card, put it on the M9 and install it with the File Browser tool to get the latest variant.

No one is going to care enough to 'jailbreak' the M9 and root it. Theres a reason they dont give you the play store + play store services and dont allow un-restricted installation of apps. It uses a SoC built for wearable devices (smart watch).

Hello,

Can the TuneIn APK be installed on the M9 or is there a streaming application to grab a link to a radio?
The M9 has wifi so streaming would be interesting.

Thank you.

Bonjour,

L'APK de TuneIn peut il être installé sur le M9 ou y a t il une application de streaming permettant de saisir un lien vers une radio?
Le M9 dispose du wifi donc faire du streaming serait intéressant.

Merci.

Only whitelisted apps can be installed. I do not believe TuneIN is a whitelisted application. You may talk to FiiO, have them test it themselves and see if they will whitelist it for you.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #396 of 2,501
On the other hand, it means that our gripes with the Fiio Music app are the same — managing large music libraries can be a chore. Playlist creation is still a drag and the search feature, while welcome, is half-baked — if you search for “Pearl Jam”, a result will appear for the band, but tapping won’t drill down into individual songs or albums — Fiio Music will just play them all. As a result, we fell back to old school folder diving. This type of navigation is a little awkward in the M9’s scaled-down interface; without a dedicated “home” button or gesture, we found ourselves swiping up to go “back” many, many times. We occasionally felt that track changes were slow, but microSD is likely the culprit

To comment on the review i posted on the last page. What part of the app does the above sitation occur? Is it when the user is 8n the artist view to search for content there or via folder
The X5 III supports up to AptX from what I can tell. So theoretically the device with the better capability on streaming would be 'better'. In which case you can say yes as the M9 is just a source when used with BT and it supports AptX, AptX HD, LDAC, HWA

I've gotten an official reply from FiiO on the reason for whitelisting.

I'm an embedded engineer and one look at the spec sheet already gave me a hunch. The M9 SoC is not powerful enough to provide a good experience if they give you 'full' Android with Play Store. Next, then you may go, OK, no play store services, how about I install my own APKs? It turns out that is still barely powerful enough depending on what apps you install and this can lead to bad user experience. Thus to keep everything running smoothly, FiiO only whitelists apps they know and tested work well with M9 performance wise (well......working good enough I guess).

"What if an app like Deezer gets updated?"
There is no app store with the M9. Since Deezer is white listed. You can simply download the latest APK onto a micro SD card, put it on the M9 and install it with the File Browser tool to get the latest variant.

No one is going to care enough to 'jailbreak' the M9 and root it. Theres a reason they dont give you the play store + play store services and dont allow un-restricted installation of apps. It uses a SoC built for wearable devices (smart watch).

Only whitelisted apps can be installed. I do not believe TuneIN is a whitelisted application. You may talk to FiiO, have them test it themselves and see if they will whitelist it for you.

Yep it mentions that in the review I posted on the last page as well. It makes sense though from reading some of the few negative comments from some owners regarding the speed of the UI.

I did have a question though. The apps that do come preinstalled with the device, is it possible to uninstall them, those that the user may not plan on using or are they fixed?

It also mentions in that review about the UI issues from the Fiio app not being resolved with this iteration of the M line. What specific conditions allow the play button to play all songs from the artist? It seems like it occurs when you try to select an artist after searching for them via the artist category. Does this only occur when searching via that feature or does it also occur if I were to search manually for an artist?

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #397 of 2,501
I did have a question though. The apps that do come preinstalled with the device, is it possible to uninstall them, those that the user may not plan on using or are they fixed?

Yes

Settings -> Apps -> Find the one you dont want and click -> Uninstall

I uninstalled all except Tidal, Spotify, and FiiO Music

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #399 of 2,501
Thanks. I had forgotten to mention as well, is the Fiio music app the only way to listen to personally owned music via the M9?

To my knowledge atm yes unless you use Spotify's desktop local file to Android synch functionality. I don't personally use this and have not tested it.

https://support.spotify.com/is/using_spotify/features/listen-to-local-files/

I do not see any other app on the device that will play local files. Maybe FiiO will whitelist an alternative local music playing app

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #400 of 2,501
To comment on the review i posted on the last page. What part of the app does the above sitation occur? Is it when the user is 8n the artist view to search for content there or via folder

Yep it mentions that in the review I posted on the last page as well. It makes sense though from reading some of the few negative comments from some owners regarding the speed of the UI.

It also mentions in that review about the UI issues from the Fiio app not being resolved with this iteration of the M line. What specific conditions allow the play button to play all songs from the artist? It seems like it occurs when you try to select an artist after searching for them via the artist category. Does this only occur when searching via that feature or does it also occur if I were to search manually for an artist?
Dear friend,
1. You could slide up from the lower right area to return to home menu.
upload_2018-11-8_11-7-43.png

2. Please go to Settings -> General -> Apps, locate and click on the app that you want to uninstall, and then click the 'UNINSTALL' icon.
3. You could use the play button to play all songs from the artist after searching the artist as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #401 of 2,501
9. FiiO M9 Hi-Res Audio Player丨The Ultimate in Versatility

Pre-installed apps: NetEase Cloud Music, MOOV, Tidal and KKBOXS

Whitelisted apps: Spotify, Qobuz, Roon and Deezer

Special features: LDAC, HWA, gesture operation, unique RGB light indicator, eight-layer HDI PCB

9 (1).jpg
9 (2).jpg
9 (3).jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 8, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #403 of 2,501
Dear friend,

2. Please go to Settings -> General -> Apps, locate and click on the app that you want to uninstall, and then click the 'UNINSTALL' icon.
3. You could use the play button to play all songs from the artist after searching the artist as well.

Best regards
Thanks for clarifying! It's good to know that the feature exists.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #404 of 2,501
Dear friend,

Best regards

A quick-start guide with how to go back without a back button would be a good thing to include in the box I reckon.

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #405 of 2,501
My M9 arrived yesterday. First impressions are very very good so far. I have owned a first gen X3 years ago, and this DAP is certainly a day and night difference.

I can comment more on it after I picked up my DM6 later tonight, but the M9 already pairs amazingly well with the RHA MA750.

Oh yeah, did anyone figure out what the "Balance Boost" option does?

IMG_20181108_212616.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back