FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #376 of 2,501
You have my complete support. I also will not buy from Fiio again without a clear statement regarding the long-term support. My experience with the X7, which was no less than a deliverance to sell, has taught me to be extremely wary of Fiio’s tendency to let down its consumers.
It might be better to just post another thread as a poll and gather votes/opinions that way.

Nov 6, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #377 of 2,501
Don't have much feedback for you but so far 10hours seems about right with my usage on Wifi and BT. Have not done IEMS on low gain though

It has enough power to drive the HD6XX from my quick testing yes. Hotel California on H Gain and 120 is just enough to be pleasureable. Music with any lower noise floor and you might want a bit more oomph.

On normal modern tracks that master with a higher noise floor. I listen at about 90/100 volume with H gain on the HD 6XX. So you have a bit to work with but not much

As for SQ. Its ok...The M9 would not be my choice pick for something like the HD6XX or Q701. Spatial is down as is detail with a boosted low end. Very consumer poppy sound which I dont find matching for the two mentioned.

As for your second question. You would need to wait for community feedback to see if the M9 can be used as a USB DAC for Android/IOS phones. Often times the answer is 'probably' with FiiO devices and Android with USB OTG. Sometimes requiring an intermediate power supply. I don't have the means to connect or use it as such so I can't sollicit any feedback sadly.

I think that may be a negatory. I think that app may require Google Play Services which is not available. Lemme ask FiiO

Re: Battery Life, I use high gain, listen at around 65-70. This morning's commute used about 20% within an hour, minimal screen on time, but I was skipping tracks.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #378 of 2,501
Hi guys,

I have read that M9 is a replacement of X3 series, does it mean that X5-III still is better than this model and Fiio is gonna create some new player to replace X5 line?

I am just in dilemma which one to buy now? Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #379 of 2,501
You would think that and its mostly true. What befuddles me is that the new M50xBT only has AptX at a maximum. Not AptX HD or LDAC which is weird.

Better than APTx is not really necessary I think. For something like the M50xBT it would be completely pointless.

You have my complete support. I also will not buy from Fiio again without a clear statement regarding the long-term support. My experience with the X7, which was no less than a deliverance to sell, has taught me to be extremely wary of Fiio’s tendency to let down its consumers.

Very likely the hardware simply doesn't support any further significant upgrades. If was to criticise their support of the X7, it was that the newer versions of the firmware ran slower than the original versions. I wouldn't be surprised if the lock-down on installable apps on the M9 was the result of customers complaining about the X7 not being usable like a smartphone.

Speaking of which, it's not a popular app, but I'd put my hand up to vote for Radio Paradise being whitelisted. It can, at least on a regular phone, cache many hours of their playlist in FLAC format. I find it a good way to discover new music.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #380 of 2,501
Better than APTx is not really necessary I think. For something like the M50xBT it would be completely pointless.

Very likely the hardware simply doesn't support any further significant upgrades. If was to criticise their support of the X7, it was that the newer versions of the firmware ran slower than the original versions. I wouldn't be surprised if the lock-down on installable apps on the M9 was the result of customers complaining about the X7 not being usable like a smartphone.

Speaking of which, it's not a popular app, but I'd put my hand up to vote for Radio Paradise being whitelisted. It can, at least on a regular phone, cache many hours of their playlist in FLAC format. I find it a good way to discover new music.
Radio Paradise...first I’ve heard of this. Seems like a must have for my R6. Thank you!

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #381 of 2,501
I have the Fiio X3 2nd gen besides the M9. I can say that audio wise the M9 is, imho, considerably better than the X3 soundwise especially through my earphones. With either the Tin Audio T2 or BQEYZ KB100 they are both a match made in heaven. I would like to see the Hi-Fi Cast app whitelisted as the Fiio App cannot cast. It does have DLNA but is limited in streaming functions. Both Tidal and Deezer cannot cast as far as I can see, I have tried. Spotify can. Fiio have not replied to my questions sent to support about these things. I don't know if that is because they are slow or are not really interested in talking firmware support. There is no doubt that there are a variety of apps which need to be white listed to make the M9 live up to it's full capabilities. Android takes this little guy to another level. Fiio though need to focus on both immediate and long term support.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #386 of 2,501

Amos my friend. This is Head-Fi! :smile_phones:It may seem pointless but people go to great lengths here for signal integrity and bit-rate.

LDAC >= HWA > AptX HD >= AAC == AptX/LL > SBC >= Biting on a metal rod for 'wireless' bone conduction.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #387 of 2,501
Amos my friend. This is Head-Fi! :smile_phones:It may seem pointless but people go to great lengths here for signal integrity and bit-rate.

LDAC >= HWA > AptX HD >= AAC == AptX/LL > SBC >= Biting on a metal rod for 'wireless' bone conduction.

I think the metal rod in this scenario would technically be a wire wouldn't it? Not to quibble or anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

FWIW I notice a decent jump from iPhone>AAC>BTR3>B&O H6 to Sony Android>LDAC>BTR3>... yet to test APTx and APTxHD, will be interested to see if there's noticeable differences. I'd expect if there are, you'd need a set up that could switch instantly between them to tell. Still, in this hobby the thrill of the chase is half the fun at least.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #388 of 2,501
Has a slight hint of warmth, but does sound rather nice for the price.
Does anyone know what the wallpaper dimensions are? Cheers in advance! :)
45545870_280084792634001_6657812591475163136_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #389 of 2,501
I think the metal rod in this scenario would technically be a wire wouldn't it? Not to quibble or anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

FWIW I notice a decent jump from iPhone>AAC>BTR3>B&O H6 to Sony Android>LDAC>BTR3>... yet to test APTx and APTxHD, will be interested to see if there's noticeable differences. I'd expect if there are, you'd need a set up that could switch instantly between them to tell. Still, in this hobby the thrill of the chase is half the fun at least.

Since I see you have a BTR3, you can try out HWA. It's literally the ONLY receiving device in the world right now certified for receiving HWA LHDC. https://www.hwa-lhdc.org/headphones

Obviously you'll need a device (cough M9) that supports sending it as well. From what I can tell, LHDC is a mid product between LDAC and AptX HD in where LHDC(900kbps) has 90 less effective maximum kbps but with a higher focus on low latency than say LDAC(990kbps) which pushes the BT5 standard.

So if you want to bang on OSU or some rhythmn games. LHDC is probably your best bet.

LHDC is going to lose and be lost in the sands of time UNLESS huawei give/cooperate and also have Google include it in Android. Sony saw the writting on the wall and pulled a cooperative move and 'gave' LDAC onto all Android post 8.0 Oreo releases so all devices will have it and support it. Wicked smart.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #390 of 2,501
As İ can see M9 is only Fiio model that supports LDAC and Aptx HD,
So if İ prefer listening music wireless (lets say with Sony MDR 1000 mk3) does it mean that in headphones the sound of M9 will be much better quality than sound from X5-III via Bluetooth?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back