[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #542 of 3,610
Dear firned,

We don't have plan about that currently. You may check whether this leather case could meet your need: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DD-...layer-M6-Leather-cover-Black/32961552386.html

Best regards

@FiiO No, that's not what I'm looking for. Don't see the point of buying a leather case if it doesn't protect the touchscreen... That's the reason why I always buy such cases for my phones and stuff, to protect the touchscreen. My smartphone is almost 3 years old, and because of the case the screen looks as new. Not one single scratch on it.

I noticed that the company Tuff Luv made cases for all the X-series DAP's by Fiio. Do you have to give confirmation for them to make it? Or can a company decide to make it on it's own? Just wondering...

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #544 of 3,610
@FiiO No, that's not what I'm looking for. Don't see the point of buying a leather case if it doesn't protect the touchscreen... That's the reason why I always buy such cases for my phones and stuff, to protect the touchscreen. My smartphone is almost 3 years old, and because of the case the screen looks as new. Not one single scratch on it.

I noticed that the company Tuff Luv made cases for all the X-series DAP's by Fiio. Do you have to give confirmation for them to make it? Or can a company decide to make it on it's own? Just wondering...

Indeed. I bought the (beautiful) leather case in a hurry and then I realized it won't cover the front (I really saw the back of it and believed it was the front).. Whatever, pretty case, but I'll be looking for a cheap "bag style" protector too.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #546 of 3,610
Fish - I’m using Mint for my day-to-day. The card is recognised in the player when mounted. Can’t remember if I had to tweak anything - but like most things Linux ..... it just works.

Brooko, good to hear, I am looking to make the switch from Windows to Linux Mint 19.1 some time this year. Since you are the Fiio guy of sorts I have to ask do you think that Fiio's decision to switch to the Samsung Exynos chip and an intergrated DAC/Amp chip has improved Fiio's DAP stability vs the X-Series with all the separate chips? It certainly seems with so many features built into the Samsung chip that their M series DAP's are released with a much more complete feature set than the X-Series and from what I have read on this thread and much fewer problems..

For the first time in many years I am seriously looking at a Fiio DAP in the M6. Do you find their are any issues that still need to be addressed?

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #547 of 3,610
Figures, just when I am ready to finally get another Fiio DAP the 7270 is discontinued. Just wondering if any stock will make it to Canada before Fiio can't make anymore. If so the question is how quickly will they release an M6-II with whatever chip replaces the 7270 and will it be more expensive?

Wondering how much notice Samsung gave manufactures before discontinuing the 7270 so they can switch to something else and when will the replacement for the 7270 be released?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #548 of 3,610
Brooko, good to hear, I am looking to make the switch from Windows to Linux Mint 19.1 some time this year. Since you are the Fiio guy of sorts I have to ask do you think that Fiio's decision to switch to the Samsung Exynos chip and an intergrated DAC/Amp chip has improved Fiio's DAP stability vs the X-Series with all the separate chips? It certainly seems with so many features built into the Samsung chip that their M series DAP's are released with a much more complete feature set than the X-Series and from what I have read on this thread and much fewer problems..

For the first time in many years I am seriously looking at a Fiio DAP in the M6. Do you find their are any issues that still need to be addressed?
Just like to add, for a Linux user myself, using Mint as well, I never had any problems with all the DACs I've used on my machine. Just plug and play. In fact that's what I did to the M6 when I was auditioning it at a local dealer. I didn't try using the Bluetooth functionality though, but as a USB DAC, no issues whatsoever.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #549 of 3,610

Very stable, and pretty quick with my 6K+ library. Pretty much no frills - and you're limited to the white-listed apps (I consider that a good thing). Spotify works fine. Wish it had Viper - but can understand why its not there. So far nothing for me to complain about. For playing an sdxc library or streaming Spotify it works pretty much perfectly (for my use).

Just don't expect Apple UI and tools. Playlist management is pretty much what you've seen from previous FiiO DAPs. Doesn't do pod-casts (at this stage). And its pretty much an IEM or portable headphone DAP.

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #550 of 3,610
So I did some checking and the 7270 is still listed on the samsung.com site. If the 7270 is discontinued the next level up is the 7880 which is designed for smartphones and tablets vs wearables for the 7270. Faster processor and supports a much higher resolution and DDr4 vs DDR3 RAM on the 7270. I would imagine if Fiio switched to the 7880 there would be a definite increase in price on their DAPs. On the plus it should be much faster and more capable than the 7270. Both chips are fabricated at 14 nm finFet so the 7880 should fit the Fiio DAP's I would think.

I have to wonder if the 7270 being discontinued may have forced Fiio to speed up the release of the M6. Otherwise why undercut the M7 with the M6 so quickly if they didn't need to.

Looking forward to seeing what Fiio has to say about the situation and where they plan to go from here with the M9/M7/M6 using the 7270. If there is a replacement for the 7270 it should have increased performance as well. Then the question would be, do I grab and M6 while I still can or wait to see what Shanling does to replace the 7270.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #551 of 3,610

Well, I've been using the M6 quite intensely the last few days, and I must say i'm just really impressed. I have encountered absolutely no hickups or errors. It really does everything that it is supposed to do and it does that very well. The only feature that i'm missing personally is to have Apple Music app whitelisted. But then again, it was not advertised. I bought the M6 based on the specs and features as were advertised and those features do work extremely well. Via Bluetooth or Airplay I can still enjoy Apple Music streamed from my iPhone anyway.

I'm getting the idea that so many people are considering buying gear based on what it could or should be, instead of what it is :beyersmile: For me, the M6 is just right. It is a Digital Audio Player and it does that really good. It plays many HiRes formats flawlessly, sound quality is really really good. Clean, clear sound, somewhat analytical but still musical. UI is simple and effective. I can reach the most important settings via the drop down menu at any moment. And on top of that I get incredible connectability and audio streaming options.

So I really recommend the M6 :ksc75smile: I'm just amazed how good the sound quality is considering the price.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #552 of 3,610
Just like to add, for a Linux user myself, using Mint as well, I never had any problems with all the DACs I've used on my machine. Just plug and play. In fact that's what I did to the M6 when I was auditioning it at a local dealer. I didn't try using the Bluetooth functionality though, but as a USB DAC, no issues whatsoever.

Glad to hear I have nothing to worry about with Linux

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #553 of 3,610
Well, I've been using the M6 quite intensely the last few days, and I must say i'm just really impressed. I have encountered absolutely no hickups or errors. It really does everything that it is supposed to do and it does that very well. The only feature that i'm missing personally is to have Apple Music app whitelisted. But then again, it was not advertised. I bought the M6 based on the specs and features as were advertised and those features do work extremely well. Via Bluetooth or Airplay I can still enjoy Apple Music streamed from my iPhone anyway.

I'm getting the idea that so many people are considering buying gear based on what it could or should be, instead of what it is :beyersmile: For me, the M6 is just right. It is a Digital Audio Player and it does that really good. It plays many HiRes formats flawlessly, sound quality is really really good. Clean, clear sound, somewhat analytical but still musical. UI is simple and effective. I can reach the most important settings via the drop down menu at any moment. And on top of that I get incredible connectability and audio streaming options.

So I really recommend the M6 :ksc75smile: I'm just amazed how good the sound quality is considering the price.

Well that about does it for me, count me in. Having waited over 6 months for Shanling to add replaygain to my M0 seeing it offered on release from M6 along with so much more for not much more than the M0 it really does seem like a no brainer as headfonia review states. Shanling seems to the think having the higher end ESS DAC/Amp chip on the M0 should make it sound better. Seriously being from the same manufacturer how much different can it sound?

Took me months to get use to the tiny screen on the M0 and still drives me nuts sometimes. For the money it is a nice little DAP, little being the operative word. Looking forward to having a bigger screen on the M6. The only question is how long before it comes to Canada?

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #554 of 3,610
Very stable, and pretty quick with my 6K+ library. Pretty much no frills - and you're limited to the white-listed apps (I consider that a good thing). Spotify works fine. Wish it had Viper - but can understand why its not there. So far nothing for me to complain about. For playing an sdxc library or streaming Spotify it works pretty much perfectly (for my use).

Just don't expect Apple UI and tools. Playlist management is pretty much what you've seen from previous FiiO DAPs. Doesn't do pod-casts (at this stage). And its pretty much an IEM or portable headphone DAP.

Well it has about the same power as my M0 and it drives my headphones on low gain very well. So power shouldn't be an issue and battery life is pretty close between the two. I really don't see anything at this point that gives the nod to my M0 other than price but not by much. Plenty that makes the M6 more attractive usability wise, especially with the hardware buttons vs just the wheel on the M0.

This unit literally came out of nowhere, had I known it was coming out before I bought the M0 I would have waited for it.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #555 of 3,610
I have a question about M6, sorry if this has been answered somewhere.

I know that M6 can be used as a DAC, but can it be used with an external DAC (so the M6 outputs digital stream)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back