[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 9, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #527 of 3,610
@FiiO I was just reading frequently asked questions on the fiio site for the M6. It mentions needing to install a driver for MTP USB to access the memory card when the M6 is connected to a computer either PC or MAC. Does that mean if I have a Linux based computer I will have to take the card out of the M6 every time I want to add tracks to it?

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #528 of 3,610
Fish - I’m using Mint for my day-to-day. The card is recognised in the player when mounted. Can’t remember if I had to tweak anything - but like most things Linux ..... it just works.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #529 of 3,610
I have the first generation X3 and really like the sound on it. The biggest complaint I had switching from an iPod Touch to the X3 is I wanted the touchscreen interface back. Can someone tell me how the sound compares on the M6 to the 1st Gen X3? And how the UI is compared to something like the iPod Touch? I really like that warm Wolfson sound and will upgrade if the sound is similar on the M6.

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #530 of 3,610
Had a chance to compare the M6 to my Hidizs AP80 and I must say that I'm not impressed with the sound of the former. The AP80 sounds much fuller and clearer to me. I'm mostly listening to very bass-heavy music (DnB and Techno) through my Sony XBA-N3 and for those the the AP80 is the clear winner IMO.
The only thing the M6 has going for me is the nice UI and the very responsive display, but even that comes with a minus as the colors are really washed out. The AP80 is much more vibrant.
I'm gonna keep my AP80 and upgrade to something like the R6 Pro down the line.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #531 of 3,610
Had a chance to compare the M6 to my Hidizs AP80 and I must say that I'm not impressed with the sound of the former. The AP80 sounds much fuller to me. I'm mostly listening to very bass-heavy music (DnB and Techno) through my Sony XBA-N3 and for those the the AP80 is the clear winner IMO.
The only thing the M6 has going for me is the nice UI and the very responsive display, but even that comes with a minus as the colors are really washed out. The AP80 is much more vibrant.
I'm gonna keep my AP80 and upgrade to something like the R6 Pro down the line.
I see. I think I’m going for the Fiio for the convenience factor and the ease of use, plus I’m only now getting into a decent DAP. I prefer the design and build quality of the Fiio too.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #532 of 3,610
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #533 of 3,610
i wonder if anyone reads the thread anymore... bah

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #534 of 3,610
I have the first generation X3 and really like the sound on it. The biggest complaint I had switching from an iPod Touch to the X3 is I wanted the touchscreen interface back. Can someone tell me how the sound compares on the M6 to the 1st Gen X3? And how the UI is compared to something like the iPod Touch? I really like that warm Wolfson sound and will upgrade if the sound is similar on the M6.

I am still rocking the first generation X3, and I recently went to an audio shop to listen to the M6. The sound quality is different as it is better, it doesn't have the low end like the X3, but I think it's not really a big difference. The sound is definitely an improvement. It's clean, clear, dynamic, enough for my ears. I can drive my ATH-R70Xs fine with the output, goes high even at half the volume. I play all sorts of genres and they did them well. I'm not sure you would like it though, but you should try it out yourself.

I don't really have any good experience with the iPod Touch, can't help you there.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #537 of 3,610
I am still rocking the first generation X3, and I recently went to an audio shop to listen to the M6. The sound quality is different as it is better, it doesn't have the low end like the X3, but I think it's not really a big difference. The sound is definitely an improvement. It's clean, clear, dynamic, enough for my ears. I can drive my ATH-R70Xs fine with the output, goes high even at half the volume. I play all sorts of genres and they did them well. I'm not sure you would like it though, but you should try it out yourself.

I don't really have any good experience with the iPod Touch, can't help you there.
What places have them?

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #540 of 3,610
Great response from Fiio about the whitelist, my concern is wondering how many discontinued soc's they managed to purchase and are they already working on the M6 replacement with a better SOC chip ready for when the others run out?
I know that it is also down to headphone choice, I listen to most music but I do listen to quite a bit of Symphonic metal, Within Temptation, Delain etc (helps drown out my tinnitus), would the M6 be a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back