[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #556 of 3,610
@FiiO Just want to ask some questions about FiiO M6 (sorry if they are stupid Qs):
1. Can I connect M6 to BTR3?
2. I I can connect them, then when I play some music files from FiiO M6, will the files be processed twice (by DAC in M6 and then DAC in BTR3) or M6 will only act as a transport device and music will only be processed by DAC in BTR3?
3. Since Tidal now supports MQA/Tidal Masters on Android devices, will that feature be available for Tidal on FiiO M6? If so, then do we have to update the apk or do anything to enjoy the feature?
4. If I beam my music from an iOS device to FiiO M6 via Airplay, can I enjoy let's say a 24/96 flac files without being downsampled?
Coz from what I know in the past Airplay only supported up to 16/44.1 (kinda confused with this tech/info. :frowning2: )

EDIT: for Q 1 & 2, what I meant is connecting them via bluetooth & USB.

After reading FiiO's statement on 3rd party apps, it specifically mentions the situation about Apple Music app. Hopefully Samsung and FiiO can resolve the issue so that the app can be added to the white list.
But if it's not the case, I think I will be happy with so many features of M6. (Just ordered it - will get it in 2-3 weeks time or faster hopefully)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #557 of 3,610
I have a question about M6, sorry if this has been answered somewhere.

I know that M6 can be used as a DAC, but can it be used with an external DAC (so the M6 outputs digital stream)?
I am pretty sure that while this was answered, it may have not been the right answer. Headphonia states that you can plug in a USB DAC through the USB-C port at the bottom, but can a user please confirm?

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #558 of 3,610
I am pretty sure that while this was answered, it may have not been the right answer. Headphonia states that you can plug in a USB DAC through the USB-C port at the bottom, but can a user please confirm?

From the product page
VaCFcMr.png

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #559 of 3,610
@FiiO Just want to ask some questions about FiiO M6 (sorry if they are stupid Qs):
2. I I can connect them, then when I play some music files from FiiO M6, will the files be processed twice (by DAC in M6 and then DAC in BTR3) or M6 will only act as a transport device and music will only be processed by DAC in BTR3?
3. Since Tidal now supports MQA/Tidal Masters on Android devices, will that feature be available for Tidal on FiiO M6? If so, then do we have to update the apk or do anything to enjoy the feature?
4. If I beam my music from an iOS device to FiiO M6 via Airplay, can I enjoy let's say a 24/96 flac files without being downsampled?
Coz from what I know in the past Airplay only supported up to 16/44.1 (kinda confused with this tech/info. :frowning2: )

After reading FiiO's statement on 3rd party apps, it specifically mentions the situation about Apple Music app. Hopefully Samsung and FiiO can resolve the issue so that the app can be added to the white list.
But if it's not the case, I think I will be happy with so many features of M6. (Just ordered it - will get it in 2-3 weeks time or faster hopefully)

All of this are valid advanced questions. I am also buying the BTR1K, so I plan to try the USB DAC connection just for fun. My understanding is that the output thru USB should be processed in the DAC (same as when I connect to my computer), but still, should be confirmed. About MQA I was wondering the same about M6. I read in some places that apparently FiiO said (in 2018) that they've got no plans to support MQA.. But things change everyday (I think I read X5III supported it? but not sure)

It's such a lot of technical possibilities and technologies that it's overwhelming, but still fun :)

EDIT: I just read that X7II doesn't support MQA.. so.. I don't hold any hopes for M6.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #560 of 3,610
All of this are valid advanced questions. I am also buying the BTR1K, so I plan to try the USB DAC connection just for fun. My understanding is that the output thru USB should be processed in the DAC (same as when I connect to my computer), but still, should be confirmed. About MQA I was wondering the same about M6. I read in some places that apparently FiiO said (in 2018) that they've got no plans to support MQA.. But things change everyday (I think I read X5III supported it? but not sure)

It's such a lot of technical possibilities and technologies that it's overwhelming, but still fun :)

EDIT: I just read that X7II doesn't support MQA.. so.. I don't hold any hopes for M6.

Seems it is mostly the bigger companies like Sony and Pioneer/Onkyo that have bought into MQA at this point at least on portable gear. But it is gaining ground across other products including some LG smartphones. It's primary benefit of course is streaming audio so more and more audio products that can stream will start offering support for it. Here is a link to an article that describes MQA quite well and gear available that supports it. https://www.whathifi.com/advice/mqa-audio-what-it-how-can-you-get-it

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #561 of 3,610
Seems it is mostly the bigger companies like Sony and Pioneer/Onkyo that have bought into MQA at this point at least on portable gear. But it is gaining ground across other products including some LG smartphones. It's primary benefit of course is streaming audio so more and more audio products that can stream will start offering support for it. Here is a link to an article that describes MQA quite well and gear available that supports it. https://www.whathifi.com/advice/mqa-audio-what-it-how-can-you-get-it
Actually this January Tidal just announced that MQA/Tidal Masters will be available for Android devices. You can google around and find many articles about this.
(ex: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tidal-mqa-android/)
This quoted article specifically mentions that the MQA decoder will be put in the Tidal app (software) but it also mentions about "compatible Android devices".
That's why I am wondering whether M6 will get MQA support (via new updated Tidal app) since M6 is Android-based too. Or maybe M6 is not compatible? :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #562 of 3,610
Actually this January Tidal just announced that MQA/Tidal Masters will be available for Android devices. You can google around and find many articles about this.
(ex: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tidal-mqa-android/)
This quoted article specifically mentions that the MQA decoder will be put in the Tidal app (software) but it also mentions about "compatible Android devices".
That's why I am wondering whether M6 will get MQA support (via new updated Tidal app) since M6 is Android-based too. Or maybe M6 is not compatible? :)

Oh I noticed that and I mentioned some LG smartphones currently support it. I am not really into streaming as I prefer to load all my music on my devices so I know I will like everything I hear. Basically why I don't really care about MQA and whether my DAP supports it or not and given how few actually do right now it would seriously limit my options.

Given the heavy licensing fees involved in MQA I don't imagine to many smaller manufacturers will support it as it would increase the cost of the devices especially DAP's which are price sensitive to begin with, given the small size of the market.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #564 of 3,610
someone correct me if im wrong but its gapless mostly for lossless files inherently?

I believe that all lossless audio file formats are “gapless” (when played gapless) and more recently some lossy formats can also be played “gapless” such as Spotify (Ogg/Vorbis). So it’s not so much that gapless is for lossless it’s just that not all lossy formats support gapless. If I’m wrong someone please correct this :wink:

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #566 of 3,610
I was wondering if someone might know when the M6 might be in stock in the United States? It apparently was in stock on Amazon for a short while before being shown as "currently unavailable" and B&H Photo shows it as "coming soon".

doh, true it's out of stock! I bought it in Amazon on January 2nd.. and it said it would arrive on the 15th to Miami but it was there by the 7th.
But there's a couple still available in eBay in the US (Brooklyn). See here, good luck! https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-M6-Po...less-Wireless-Music-Player-black/283331075042

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #568 of 3,610
I was wondering if someone might know when the M6 might be in stock in the United States? It apparently was in stock on Amazon for a short while before being shown as "currently unavailable" and B&H Photo shows it as "coming soon".

I am wondering the same about Canada as we usually see stock from Fiio about the same time as the US or shortly after.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #569 of 3,610
Try Aliexpress if you’re willing to pay 20 more dollars.

eBay has the same price :) They only had 7 it seems and only two are remaining.
PS: Of course it seems to be an individual not some kind of store..

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #570 of 3,610

EDIT: for Q 1 & 2, what I meant is connecting them via bluetooth & USB.

Dear friend,

1. Yes,you could connect the M6 to the BTR3.
2. When connecting the M6 to the BTR3, you are using the DAC in the BTR3.
3. Yes, you would need to update the latest Tidal to get MQA work in M6. We will try to include the update in next firmware update as well.
4. Currently, the Airplay M6 supports is up to 44.1k as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back