[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,801 of 3,610
Yep, not my case but there seems to be a LOT of people needing this solution and the whitelisting seems a no brainer, hope FiiO does it eventually.

Oh I used to love MusicBee, used it since the earliest versions then dropped it and only ocassionaly use FooBar, but MusicBee is something else (MediaMonkey was another one I used back then).
Now I simply drop files on and off quite randomly but using a Music Manager like this sounds interesting again. What kind of errors you get? I'll try to test it myself too.

Oops didn't suffer the BT problems so far, nor the SD card problems. Could that be related with the MusicBee issue? Did you try exchanging cards? I'm using a middle-range Sandisk 64gb and once I had to take it out and run a chkdsk to repair it, rest of the time it did work fine.. so far!

Yeah well a phone is obviously something else. I do have a BTR1K bluetooth dongle for these cases, great sound quality (also the K1 but that requires to be wired) and wireless freedom.

The M11 might would cover all these areas for sure, but at almost 500 u$s it's a no go for me :) I like the M6 because of the price-quality-features equation but it ain't always the solution of course.

I'm getting three issues: the first is that Musicbee hangs ~50% of the time when syncing with the M6. That may be resulted to the two other errors. One is "hresult 0x802a006" and the other is "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component." They're related to specific songs (a bunch of them) and I've tried deleting and recopying, converting the songs, resetting the M6... I have none of these issues with my phone or old iPod.

Yep, not my case but there seems to be a LOT of people needing this solution and the whitelisting seems a no brainer, hope FiiO does it eventually.

Oh I used to love MusicBee, used it since the earliest versions then dropped it and only ocassionaly use FooBar, but MusicBee is something else (MediaMonkey was another one I used back then).
Now I simply drop files on and off quite randomly but using a Music Manager like this sounds interesting again. What kind of errors you get? I'll try to test it myself too.

Oops didn't suffer the BT problems so far, nor the SD card problems. Could that be related with the MusicBee issue? Did you try exchanging cards? I'm using a middle-range Sandisk 64gb and once I had to take it out and run a chkdsk to repair it, rest of the time it did work fine.. so far!

Yeah well a phone is obviously something else. I do have a BTR1K bluetooth dongle for these cases, great sound quality (also the K1 but that requires to be wired) and wireless freedom.

The M11 might would cover all these areas for sure, but at almost 500 u$s it's a no go for me :) I like the M6 because of the price-quality-features equation but it ain't always the solution of course.

The bluetooth is weird, again especially because my phone (a Pixel 2) doesn't have these issues. I've got what I think is a fairly high end 32GB Sandisk (or used to be when I purchased it a few years ago for my GoPro). It could be related to Musicbee for sure, but its disappearing in the M6 itself (when not connected to the computer). I haven't tried exchanging cards yet, in part because of the other issues (and I'll try repairing as well).

And I agree, the M6 seemed to hit the sweet spot. The hardware (assuming I can fix the SD card) has worked great. It seems to be the lack of functionality with the software (and integration with things like Musicbee) that is driving me up the wall and making it unusable. Personally, it seems a bit crazy to me at this point there's no way to listen to podcasts/audiobooks. You can copy them on, but there's no "remember position" and certainly no app. Obviously its less important to the audiophile crowd (or is it?). I can then run them on my phone but defeats the purpose for me of a DAP as I always have to be swapping different devices.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,802 of 3,610
The bluetooth is weird, again especially because my phone (a Pixel 2) doesn't have these issues. I've got what I think is a fairly high end 32GB Sandisk (or used to be when I purchased it a few years ago for my GoPro). It could be related to Musicbee for sure, but its disappearing in the M6 itself (when not connected to the computer). I haven't tried exchanging cards yet, in part because of the other issues (and I'll try repairing as well).

And I agree, the M6 seemed to hit the sweet spot. The hardware (assuming I can fix the SD card) has worked great. It seems to be the lack of functionality with the software (and integration with things like Musicbee) that is driving me up the wall and making it unusable. Personally, it seems a bit crazy to me at this point there's no way to listen to podcasts/audiobooks. You can copy them on, but there's no "remember position" and certainly no app. Obviously its less important to the audiophile crowd (or is it?). I can then run them on my phone but defeats the purpose for me of a DAP as I always have to be swapping different devices.

Oh The Pixel 2 (drooling here lol). I used to have a Nexus 6P. God I miss it, entered the bootloop thing and there it is almost dead. Now a Moto G5 not the same thing but meh it's cheap :D
Yeah the sandisks do work fine! But who knows, they sometimes go bonkers. Try another one if you can just in case or the repair thing.

About the MusicBee as soon as I have a minute I'll check it out! Seems definitely a MBee problem but it's odd that happens with a device only, I would assume Android is the same in such low level activities, unless it's a problem of throughput? But the M6 handles crazy things even USB Output that my Moto G5 can't do.

Well the audiophiles might or might not care for podcasts/audibooks, it's like two different things, but in the end it's audio, and I've read a zillion requests about that in this thread so I'd say: FiiO, add it, and you'll have a more happy buying public!

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,803 of 3,610
If an audiobook app like SmartAudio or audible was whitelisted, it would be convenient. I like audiobooks too and it would save the hassle of switching back and forth between my phone and M6.

Just curious, does M6 support AptX-LL or will it support it in future...i hope someone from FiiO responds.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,804 of 3,610
Just my two cents : I could go for an audiobook app too. Also, to kro4k, my Bluetooth troubles were worst when I used the maximum quality output to my headphones and had wifi enabled at the same time. Turns out bluetooth and wifi are both 2.4GHz technologies. If you keep a cordless phone nearby, same thing. Ended up using AptxHD instead of LDAC max quality.

I also use Musicbee and might give syncing a try. Long since gave up on Mediamonkey. Thing is, i've never had my microSD cards do anything funky like disappearing. Sandisk 200GB and 128GB (and earlier, smaller capacities too). Just be sure to buy them from a trusted source. Kingston just as good. Oh and those cards were used in X3, X5 III. And still being used now in the M6. So possibly a card problem.

.m3u support is not ideal, and here's where they explain that it cannot be used with Fiio Music's playlist system. http://www.fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=43891&extra=page=1 - instead, you have to select them from Folder View. I found that even having .m3u files in my collection caused trouble (double appearance of a track in an album) and deleted them entirely.

Special mention on Aptx-LL - its such a niche technology that only a few players support it. If I want to game or watch a movie, I end up wired. The final word (being that its a hardware choice, not a software one) is on the M6' web page. They first claim 'Full Bluetooth support' but qualify it later with a list that does NOT include low latency.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,805 of 3,610
So my M6 arrived (yay!) and I want to install Spotify. I've downloaded the file to a PC but when I connect the M6 it identifies as "M6 driver" and says only 2.2 mbs of 40 mbs is available and if I try and copy the spotify package over it tells me there isn't enough memory even though I've deleted three of the pre-installed apps already. Something doesn't seem to have connected properly...

oh nevermind I need to install the mtp driver. got it

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #1,806 of 3,610
I was in Costa Rica for 8 day's, I noticed that my M6 wanted me to download the latest update firmware. I didn't do the update in Costa Rica figured I'll wait till I got back to USA and do the update here.
Long story short is that the update in CR went away here in the US.

Don't know if I should have done it in Costa Rica, I'll never know.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,807 of 3,610
OK, after a lot of wires and testing. My mobile phone, a Samsung S9 plus, with an Anker USB C OTG cable, with a normal micro USB connected to the Anker OTG, and the micro USB end inserted into the Modi 3 produced a great sound from the Modi 3. The volume is controllable from the phone. Doing exactly the same from both the FiiO M6 and M9 produces no sound, with whatever setting I tried. So I can use my Samsung S9 plus and get a really good quality sound. Sadly I can't use an M6 or M9. Perhaps someone can educate me if there is a setting I am not aware of.

Anyone else not able to use the M6 as a USB transport? Issues connecting Schiit DACs?

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,809 of 3,610
I was in Costa Rica for 8 day's, I noticed that my M6 wanted me to download the latest update firmware. I didn't do update it in Costa Rica figured I'll wait till I got back to USA and do the update here.
Long story short is that the update in CR went away here in the US.

Don't know if I should have done it in Costa Rica, I'll never know.

its not that bad mate..just check fiio official site or contact fiio here :p

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,810 of 3,610
@FiiO

Hi there. It's good to see your close relationship with Samsung around the M6 & M11. Because of that there will be sense in whitelisting the Samsung Music App for the M6 as it will be compatible with the Exynos 7270 processor.

Many thanks

Steve

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,811 of 3,610
I thought I'd give the perspective of someone who uses their DAP not just for music but for podcasts/audiobooks.

In this respect the M6 (and Fiio) seem to be a huge fail. There's no way to preserve playback for podcasts/audiobooks and obviously there's no app that handles them.

Also as someone who uses a music management program (now Musicbee) it's very frustrating to sync.

I've also had bluetooth connectivity issues and my microSD card occasionally seems to disappear. I still haven't figured out how to get the M6 to recognize the .m3u playlists on it (and I've read through multiple threads).

My phone handles all this easily. What I'm potentially losing in audio quality isn't worth all the headaches. For me, a very hard pass.

TuneIn app does support podcasts though. It's not my go-to choice but it does a decent job. There's nothing for audiobooks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back