[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,286 of 3,610
Dear head-fiers, Fiio M6 users.

I´ve been looking to get a M6 for a few months now, checking reviews and comparisons all over the net. Reading througout the thread, it looks like the unit lacks processing power for some tasks, which can be mitigated by using better developed software.
My main usage will be with FLACs and Spotify, but I am also willing to try newer audio formats, Tidal and other high quality music streaming services, along with my Sennheiser cans and sometimes a bluetooth in ear phone.

Questions:
- Do you guys think most of the issues of stuttering/performance have been ironed out, either by firmware update or other versions of the softwares?
- Is audio streaming working flawlessly with Tidal, Deezer and other high quality streaming services?
- Since the Exynos 7270 is a bit outdated now, should I wait for a M6 v2?
- Comparing the M6 with other ´better´ devices from Fiio, I still think the M6 covers most of my needs. What other devices/brands do you guys recommend that offer the same features as the M6 (software installation is a must) that go in the same price range?
I could spend more but only if the differences justify the money spent (not looking for a SP2000)

Thanks!

I was a Fiio M6 owner for about a week and a half. I ended up returning it, and stepped up a bit more in price and bought the Hiby R3 Pro now instead. It ended up shipping today, so I should have it in a few days. The R3 Pro competes against the Fiio M9, so it is a very good option for 200 US. It uses the same processor as the M6 and M9, but has been shown in reviews to not have the lag issues that those two players have.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-pro

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,287 of 3,610
I was a Fiio M6 owner for about a week and a half. I ended up returning it, and stepped up a bit more in price and bought the Hiby R3 Pro now instead. It ended up shipping today, so I should have it in a few days. The R3 Pro competes against the Fiio M9, so it is a very good option for 200 US. It uses the same processor as the M6 and M9, but has been shown in reviews to not have the lag issues that those two players have.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-pro
I don’t think the Hiby R3 pro has the same processor as the M6 and M9. It's a much faster processor in the Hiby R3 pro.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,293 of 3,610
Fiio, is there a word if there is going to be a M6 version 2? :D

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #3,294 of 3,610
Can anybody recommend a (free)music player to put on my M6 to use instead of Fiio Music, please? I’m just looking to try and fix the issue where the playback glitches when I select a new track. I suspect it’s caused by a lack of processing power, but I’m trying to find a solution.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #3,296 of 3,610
yeah, this pretty much sums up the experience for me as well. it happens frequently, and it's always in the beginning. i thought that the factory reset did it for me, but it's back again after i left it on idle for a few hours...
For me, it only happens when I select a new track, if I just let it play through the tracks naturally, it’s fine. I would guess maybe there’s some buffering going on, which obviously can’t happen when just skipping to another track.

Sometimes the music pauses for a spilt second within a a second of the track starting, but sometimes it sounds like I’m hearing the very last split second of the track previous in the track list to the one selected.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #3,298 of 3,610
Yes, just install Pulsar. It is a great music app, and is also very light on resources.
I second that. Pulsar was 'hacked' some time ago, before the open whitelist, by an M6 user, and I used it a lot. It's fast and simple

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #3,299 of 3,610
But doesn't Pulsar convert everything into 48k?

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #3,300 of 3,610
But doesn't Pulsar convert everything into 48k?
The M6 has such a small amount of RAM, 768k that is lucky it even can produce a noise. I've no idea what pulsar does, but thanks to @greenflash for opening it up in times gone by.
Of course there are 'bigger' apps like the Hiby but the M6 struggles with them if I remember correctly. If you're aware of an app that will run a higher rate without struggling let us know, cos a lot will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back