[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #2,566 of 3,610
Just for fun (hah!) and to keep the update theme going, let's collate a wishlist of features/bugs we'd like to see included/solved with the mythical pending update.

My real only gripe is the lack of a good global search function, which Fiio have managed to fix in the "full-cream" Fiio app.

A scroll bar (not that awful ABC nonsense) would be nice.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #2,567 of 3,610
No need to make the switch permanently. Just make a Linux USB boot drive and give it a spin. It won't affect your current Windows installation at all, nor will it delete or modify any of your existing files.

Oh I have and I have built several Linux desktop systems and converted several Windows laptops to Linux. Not worried about Linux compatibility with the M7. Just very busy with work and will probably wait until the end of the year before making the switch with Windows 7 support ending next January. Thing is I have 10 Terabytes in my Windows system (4 hard drives) formatted for NTFS. Would need to convert them all of them to EXFAT for maximum compatibility between Windows and Linux.

Might just take my Windows 7 computer offline and keep it for running Windows software and movie and audio storage as my media server. Then either convert a Windows laptop to Linux or build a Linux workstation for everything else. Still weighing the pros and cons right now.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #2,568 of 3,610
Can we have some tentative timeline for the fw update please?
Dear friend,

If everything goes well, the firmware may be released early next month.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,569 of 3,610
That's all I'm concerned about at the moment. Just fix the existing bugs and update to the current, much improved, Fiio Music app and I'm a happy camper.

I've actually been using the latest Fiio Music app as the default player on my phone and am very happy with it. Would love to use it on my M7....eventually.

I've been using the new fiio app on the m11 and it's really nice, would be great to use it on m6.
Did gapless playback work fine on your end in the latest version of the FiiO Music app? Because it seems like it's not working properly even though I made sure that the gapless playback option is turned on.

Also, the ticker text scrolling (when the song info is too long to show) seemed to be gone in the latest version. Character encoding issues are now fixed, though; no more garbled Chinese characters, and symbols like Ë, Ø, etc. are now displayed properly!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #2,570 of 3,610
Did gapless playback work fine on your end in the latest version of the FiiO Music app? Because it seems like it's not working properly even though I made sure that the gapless playback option is turned on.

Also, the ticker text scrolling (when the song info is too long to show) seemed to be gone in the latest version. Character encoding issues are now fixed, though; no more garbled Chinese characters!

Gapless works great on that version for me.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #2,571 of 3,610
Gapless works great on that version for me.
OK I seemed to figure out the issue regarding gapless playback of the recent version of FiiO Music app. It seems like gapless playback doesn't work properly if you're using an external DAC like the Topping NX4-DSD. It does work, but only if you use the smartphone's internal audio.

@FiiO please take note of this bug, as it doesn't have that issue in the older versions of the FiiO Music Player. Before the latest update, I could use my external DAC with gapless audio working properly.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,572 of 3,610
OK I seemed to figure out the issue regarding gapless playback of the recent version of FiiO Music app. It seems like gapless playback doesn't work properly if you're using an external DAC like the Topping NX4-DSD. It does work, but only if you use the smartphone's internal audio.

@FiiO please take note of this bug, as it doesn't have that issue in the older versions of the FiiO Music Player. Before the latest update, I could use my external DAC with gapless audio working properly.

Ahh, and of course I'm using the m11, so that's probably a better mesh anyways.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #2,573 of 3,610
Ahh, and of course I'm using the m11, so that's probably a better mesh anyways.

Sure rub it in that you have the latest and greatest while we toil along with the lesser models. :)

Do you find the M11 is a big enough step up from the M6 to justify the higher price? Would you have passed on the M6 if you knew the M11 was coming out.? For me it would be $400 more than the M7 so not really an option but it is nice to dream.

So August for firmware update, maybe, since the last update said May does Fiio really mean November? Need to learn how to speak double talk to understand what they are saying. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #2,574 of 3,610
Sure rub it in that you have the latest and greatest while we toil along with the lesser models. :)

Do you find the M11 is a big enough step up from the M6 to justify the higher price? Would you have passed on the M6 if you knew the M11 was coming out.? For me it would be $400 more than the M7 so not really an option but it is nice to dream.

So August for firmware update, maybe, since the last update said May does Fiio really mean November? Need to learn how to speak double talk to understand what they are saying. :L3000:

Just swop the month out for "soontm" and you'll be about right :p

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,575 of 3,610

Sorry for jumping in here.. I have the M6 and M11 also. I like the M6 for convenience and for non-critical applications, when there's a lot of interruptions or ambient noise, etc. The m11 is huge by comparison and heavy, it's a beast. But the SQ is noticeably airier and more resolving with the M11 so they partner really sublimely with the FH7s. With the M6, or my V30 phone, the FH7s sound great, don't get me wrong, but there's something magical going on with the symbiosis (for me at least) with the M11+FH7 which takes me to another place entirely.

This means that I reach for the M11 as much as poss.

Jul 18, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,576 of 3,610
Sorry for jumping in here.. I have the M6 and M11 also. I like the M6 for convenience and for non-critical applications, when there's a lot of interruptions or ambient noise, etc. The m11 is huge by comparison and heavy, it's a beast. But the SQ is noticeably airier and more resolving with the M11 so they partner really sublimely with the FH7s. With the M6, or my V30 phone, the FH7s sound great, don't get me wrong, but there's something magical going on with the symbiosis (for me at least) with the M11+FH7 which takes me to another place entirely.

This means that I reach for the M11 as much as poss.

Well said! The m6 is great for bluetooth and active use because well it's tiny, and it sounds great... But it can't hold a candle to m11 when it comes to soundstage and resolution/detail - whatever you want to call it. Plus it's so fast and smooth and has a glorious screen. :wink:

Jul 18, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #2,577 of 3,610

I think the m11 is the best value in a dap right now, and one the the best sounding I've listened to. I absolutely think it's worth the money for the way it performs

However I use the m6 alot also because of it's portability and tiny size, the m11 is a brick by comparison, a beautiful brick but still big. So I use m6 for active use and in the car and m11 for sitting down and doing some relaxing listening.

Now if fiio had something that sounded like m11 and was smaller, that is something I could use ALL the time :wink:

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #2,579 of 3,610
Yeah the M11 seems to be the glory! But again, and not only because I cannot afford it, it's greatly priced for what it is, but my challenge lies in the beneath 150usd (200!) Range. Maximum effort! And yeah, size. I think some M8 or something in the future, probably with a bit more memory or processor/bit bigger screen for say 200usd would be something wonderful. For now the M6 is great for me!

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,580 of 3,610
Yeah the M11 seems to be the glory! But again, and not only because I cannot afford it, it's greatly priced for what it is, but my challenge lies in the beneath 150usd (200!) Range. Maximum effort! And yeah, size. I think some M8 or something in the future, probably with a bit more memory or processor/bit bigger screen for say 200usd would be something wonderful. For now the M6 is great for me!
Yeah, I agree. I would rather buy a smartphone + a DAC/AMP with that amount (maybe even less).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back