[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #2,536 of 3,610
You used the term 'entitlement'. Fish said all he has is the M7. Perhaps you should look at yourself who has multiple choices......'entitlement'.
And I also said "(talking mostly about M6 here)"... Look, I don't want to get into an argument here but I am not okay with being vilified over trifles either. Perhaps I could have chosen better wording but am just saying that there are severe hardware limitations (processing power, RAM, display, resolution, heat, battery etc.) that might be taken into consideration. If you want to take this any further DM me, otherwise I'm done here.

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,537 of 3,610
God the more I use an android based DAP the more I think they should call it hemorrhoid instead cause it is a pain in the ass. Forgetting the slow boot times I have nothing but problems every time I connect my M7 to my computer. Either it takes multiple attempts to connect before the M7 is recognized. Then it takes forever to recognize the contents of the music folder. Finally it takes forever just to copy a few songs if it will complete at all.

I had one album of songs I wanted to add so rather than pull out the card and use my card reader I just connected the M7 to my Windows machine. 35 minute later and I still couldn't get the album copied, makes me seriously miss my Shanling M0 and even Sony A17, never an issues using either with my computer and no drivers needed. Not only that but despite resetting the database I still get damn skip at the start of most tracks now. Started looking at the Shanling M2X as a possible replacement and getting rid of the M7. Not available in Canada yet but will definitely demo when available.

Yes it could be the pitifully weak hardware in the M7 but either way to much hassle with this thing. Can't imagine trying to use it as computer DAC at least for me. Fiio had better be releasing a major firmware update soon.

Sorry to hear m7s fing up. You know I have the m11 so m6 is relegated to active and car use- m11 is super fast and pretty awesome but it's 450 US. But when I did use my m6 exclusively I don't recall any problems with it other than being slow on tidal. I've read some pretty crazy stuff, like it taking 5 minutes to search something in tidal or spotify, but I assume the person is on crack, it's been a good little dap for me.

However in your case, I say get that shanling m2x! They are pretty solid in firmware and I've had several including the m2s and that was a cracking little unit. I also had m5s and that was really nice too, just a bit too warm for me. But m2x is got some nice features for the money- even balanced out and I'm sure has pretty good firmware atm, well I think you would be happier.

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,538 of 3,610
Apologies,

feels like I stirred up a hornets nest a bit, it wasn't my intention. Just venting my frustrations, my point is simply this. Fiio released 3 and now 4 DAP's in fairly rapid succession. People who bought the M7 and M9 suddenly found a new model with more or basically the same features in the case of the M9 at a significantly lower price in the M6. To date there are 3 models based largely on the same hardware and software. The M7 thread is dead and there have been no posts from fiio in months. I don't know about the M9 thread but I am guessing it is a similar situation. So it is only natural that people like myself who spent our hard earned money on these DAP's might feel a little cheated when something better comes out just a few months later.

Fast forward again just a few months and now you have the M11 being released. It starts to feel like Fiio is saying hey sorry about the previous models but we have another more expensive model you can buy. What I would love these DAP makers to do is give us a model road map so we can plan our future DAP purchases. In the case of the M series it would be - this year and date we plan to release the M7 with these features and hardware, then the M9 will come out next and it will offer the following, then the M6 est release date and features and finally the M11. As someone who spent many years selling audio gear I am use to manufacturers releasing their new models each year at about the same time. So the consumer can pick the model that fits their needs and budget.

In the DAP market it is a total crap shoot, buy the M7, a few months later the M9, darn I should have waited. Buy the M9 a few months later the M11 gets released with much better hardware. It starts to feel a little bit like dealing with a used car salesman, it seems like they are covering up the shortcomings of the previous models by constantly releasing new ones.

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,539 of 3,610
And I also said "(talking mostly about M6 here)"... Look, I don't want to get into an argument here but I am not okay with being vilified over trifles either. Perhaps I could have chosen better wording but am just saying that there are severe hardware limitations (processing power, RAM, display, resolution, heat, battery etc.) that might be taken into consideration. If you want to take this any further DM me, otherwise I'm done here.

What's a DM?

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,540 of 3,610
Sorry to hear m7s fing up. You know I have the m11 so m6 is relegated to active and car use- m11 is super fast and pretty awesome but it's 450 US. But when I did use my m6 exclusively I don't recall any problems with it other than being slow on tidal. I've read some pretty crazy stuff, like it taking 5 minutes to search something in tidal or spotify, but I assume the person is on crack, it's been a good little dap for me.

However in your case, I say get that shanling m2x! They are pretty solid in firmware and I've had several including the m2s and that was a cracking little unit. I also had m5s and that was really nice too, just a bit too warm for me. But m2x is got some nice features for the money- even balanced out and I'm sure has pretty good firmware atm, well I think you would be happier.

Yeah it is starting to feel like I am changing DAP's more than I change my socks. Sell the A17, buy the Shanling M0, sell the M0, buy the M7. Now maybe sell the M7 and get the M2X. I can't really afford to keep spinning the DAP roulette and hoping to land on a winner. The M2X is available for sale in Canada yet so still playing the waiting game. Crossing my fingers that Fiio's mystery firmware will at least make some improvements and fix some these problems.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #2,541 of 3,610
Apologies,

feels like I stirred up a hornets nest a bit, it wasn't my intention. Just venting my frustrations, my point is simply this. Fiio released 3 and now 4 DAP's in fairly rapid succession. People who bought the M7 and M9 suddenly found a new model with more or basically the same features in the case of the M9 at a significantly lower price in the M6. To date there are 3 models based largely on the same hardware and software. The M7 thread is dead and there have been no posts from fiio in months. I don't know about the M9 thread but I am guessing it is a similar situation. So it is only natural that people like myself who spent our hard earned money on these DAP's might feel a little cheated when something better comes out just a few months later.

Fast forward again just a few months and now you have the M11 being released. It starts to feel like Fiio is saying hey sorry about the previous models but we have another more expensive model you can buy. What I would love these DAP makers to do is give us a model road map so we can plan our future DAP purchases. In the case of the M series it would be - this year and date we plan to release the M7 with these features and hardware, then the M9 will come out next and it will offer the following, then the M6 est release date and features and finally the M11. As someone who spent many years selling audio gear I am use to manufacturers releasing their new models each year at about the same time. So the consumer can pick the model that fits their needs and budget.

In the DAP market it is a total crap shoot, buy the M7, a few months later the M9, darn I should have waited. Buy the M9 a few months later the M11 gets released with much better hardware. It starts to feel a little bit like dealing with a used car salesman, it seems like they are covering up the shortcomings of the previous models by constantly releasing new ones.

Honestly they were trying to get in good with Samsung and just used processors on the early m models that weren't quite up to the job. Finally in m11 they got a nice processor from Samsung so hopefully they can continue forward with them and get better and better CPUs from Samsung. They don't want to use rockchip anymore, and with a big company like Samsung- they call the shots with a small fry (relatively speaking) like fiio. The fiio app has been approved and hopefully that gets updated on m6,m7. But yes Fiio has stated it's designing a lot of daps this year to basically court Samsung and buy lots of chips from them- they are also using their BT chip :wink: The m11 is very solid and I expect the next ones to be solid also- they will have the same CPU and firmware, just updated amps (thxaaa) and dacs.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #2,542 of 3,610
Yeah it is starting to feel like I am changing DAP's more than I change my socks. Sell the A17, buy the Shanling M0, sell the M0, buy the M7. Now maybe sell the M7 and get the M2X. I can't really afford to keep spinning the DAP roulette and hoping to land on a winner. The M2X is available for sale in Canada yet so still playing the waiting game. Crossing my fingers that Fiio's mystery firmware will at least make some improvements and fix some these problems.

I buy new daps constantly lol :) I hope the new firmware hits soon. Just saying the m2x should be solid, hell I might try one me self from Amazon- easy returns :wink: Actually I just read a m2x review and it has the same dry sound as the m5s, I don't think you would like the sound :wink: I thought the player just didn't sound lively enough, I much preferred the old m2s sound. Anyways good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #2,543 of 3,610
Honestly they were trying to get in good with Samsung and just used processors on the early m models that weren't quite up to the job. Finally in m11 they got a nice processor from Samsung so hopefully they can continue forward with them and get better and better CPUs from Samsung. They don't want to use rockchip anymore, and with a big company like Samsung- they call the shots with a small fry (relatively speaking) like fiio. The fiio app has been approved and hopefully that gets updated on m6,m7. But yes Fiio has stated it's designing a lot of daps this year to basically court Samsung and buy lots of chips from them- they are also using their BT chip :wink: The m11 is very solid and I expect the next ones to be solid also- they will have the same CPU and firmware, just updated amps (thxaaa) and dacs.

Oh I can understand, but as a consumer I am not interested in machinations of the manufacturers just the products they release. I went against my own policy of not buying the first iteration of a new product which the M series DAP's largely are. Yes as you say we should see better hardware in the next M series round but how will this affect the price if Fiio has to start using more expensive Samsung SOC's? Without the need for streaming Linux is a better OS option than Android which is Linux with a bunch of crap piled on top. The M7 could have been a great DAP if Fiio could have gone with Linux for the OS over Android but that was likely not an option.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #2,544 of 3,610
Oh I can understand, but as a consumer I am not interested in machinations of the manufacturers just the products they release. I went against my own policy of not buying the first iteration of a new product which the M series DAP's largely are. Yes as you say we should see better hardware in the next M series round but how will this affect the price if Fiio has to start using more expensive Samsung SOC's? Without the need for streaming Linux is a better OS option than Android which is Linux with a bunch of crap piled on top. The M7 could have been a great DAP if Fiio could have gone with Linux for the OS over Android but that was likely not an option.

Just thought it was refreshing they were open about their motivations. As far as android daps there seems like more and more are going there like it or not. And there is better hardware, I'm using it now :wink: And don't know about m7, but m6 despite it's limitations has worked a charm for me.

At least there's still Sony.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,545 of 3,610
I just wish they'd release the firmware when they say they will. First May, then June, now....whenever. It's like they're throwing darts at a calendar. Don't announce something unless you fully intend to follow through. Frustrating.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,546 of 3,610
Just thought it was refreshing they were open about their motivations. As far as android daps there seems like more and more are going there like it or not. And there is better hardware, I'm using it now :wink: And don't know about m7, but m6 despite it's limitations has worked a charm for me.

At least there's still Sony.

Sony are they still selling DAP's. :) The A55 was never released in North America and haven't heard about any other model updates. It would be nice if the absence of the A55 here means we are do for a major update, but not holding my breath. Same with Cayin in the $300 price range, been forever since the N3 was released. Was kind of hoping their would be an updated model by now, their other releases are out of my price range. An N3 update would be a DAP worth considering for me.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,547 of 3,610
Sony are they still selling DAP's. :) The A55 was never released in North America and haven't heard about any other model updates. It would be nice if the absence of the A55 here means we are do for a major update, but not holding my breath. Same with Cayin in the $300 price range, been forever since the N3 was released. Was kind of hoping their would be an updated model by now, their other releases are out of my price range. An N3 update would be a DAP worth considering for me.

I expect an update to the A series by Sony, it's getting stale, but they dont use android at least.

Jul 12, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #2,548 of 3,610
I plugged my M6 into the computer yesterday. Windows' File Explorer opened pretty much instantly and was ready for browsing and file transfers/deletion. Then I went to options and enabled USB DAC mode; it was recognized by Windows immediately and was automatically set as the default playback device.

I've never tried the M7 but the M6 works impeccably with Windows in my experience (I'm using W10 btw). Which version are you running and have you tried a different USB port or cable?

Clearly Fiio has worked out some of the issues between the M7 release and the M6. Computer issues aside I am assuming the Fiio Music Player has the out of order track sorting issue. Does the M6 require multiple attempts to get the unit to scan new tracks like the M7, I guess not an issue if you are not forced to use the Fiio Music Player and use a third party app? Sorry but I can't see not being able to sort tracks in alphabetical order a minor issue if every other DAP manufacturer on the market can do it properly. Never had issues scanning tracks with any of my other DAP's whether that is a Fiio Music Player issue or hardware? When you add up all the trifles that exist with my M7 cumulatively they become much less minor and I desperately hope Fiio can address these in a firmware update.

With alternative apps available what annoys M7 users who have to use Fiio Music Player probably doesn't annoy M6 users.

Jul 12, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2,550 of 3,610
Fish - I think your problem might be the Win7 stack (drivers). 10 works fine. And earlier comment re Linux Mint might solve all your problems. I use Mint (Cinnamon). It just works - including with M7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back